8 replies to this topic

#1 Aleshia

Aleshia

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 12:43 AM

I have seen on the internet that you can buy premade puff pastry dough in europe and australia, does anyone know if there is anyone in the USA making this kind of product? its just such an effort to make it yourself... and I dont even know if it would turn out!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 coffeetime

coffeetime

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 05:02 AM

Our local Wal-mart and Kroger both carry it.

#3 luvs2eat

luvs2eat

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 08:03 AM

I just googled gluten free puff pastry the other day and was intrigued by the recipes there. I vowed to try it soon!! One post had photos that really made it appear doable!! I don't see any companies in the States.
luvs2eat
Living in the beautiful Ozark mountains in Arkansas
positive blood tests and later, positive biopsy
diagnosed 8/5/02, gluten-free (after lots of mistakes!) since that day
Dairy free since July 2010 and NOT happy about it!!

#4 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,790 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 09:47 AM

Really!!!!! Could you look for the brand name next time you see it and let us know. I know my Wal-mart doesn't have anything like that gluten-free but perhaps I could talk the folks at Wegmans into ordering some. Gosh I miss Baklava and puff pastry fruit pies.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#5 coffeetime

coffeetime

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 10:52 AM

I'm sorry total brain fog this morning. When I noticed the post I remembered how excited I was to find puff pastry when I moved back to the U.S. Sadly I forgot for a moment things like puff pastry have to be prefaced by gluten free now :( I'm 3 weeks in and still getting use to the gluten-free way of thinking.

#6 njbeachbum

njbeachbum

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 12:03 PM

oh man i got excited there for a minute. i've been dying to find pre-made gluten free puff pastry and filo (phyllo) dough. one can dream, right?
Joe

Dx Crohn's Disease - December, 1993
Positive Blood Test - November, 2007
Positive Biopsy - December 21, 2007
Gluten Free since December 3, 2007
Crohn's Medication stopped on January 17, 2008

#7 Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 12:22 PM

I'm going to start asking my local gluten free store to see if they can find an importer. I figure if I ask often enough they will find some. If enough people ask it will find it's way to our stores.
1960s-had symptoms-could have been before but don't remember
1970s-told had colitis or nervous stomach-was given phenobarbital, felt great but still had symptoms
Me, dd and ds diagnosed with Lactose Intolerance
2000-osteopenia
2001-had stroke because of medications I was given
June 2003-saw Chiropractor who specialized in nutrition: Celiac Disease not Lactose Intolerance, went gluten free with once in awhile cheating, off soy and dairy for about 6 months
June 2003-found excellent doctor for fibromyalgia (who has found out she has Celiac Disease)
May 2006-went gluten free with NO cheating-excellent! Made all the difference in the world

#8 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,790 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 03:24 PM

I'm sorry total brain fog this morning. When I noticed the post I remembered how excited I was to find puff pastry when I moved back to the U.S. Sadly I forgot for a moment things like puff pastry have to be prefaced by gluten free now :( I'm 3 weeks in and still getting use to the gluten-free way of thinking.

Drat!! I was so hopeful. Oh well. The very nature of phyllo makes me think it unlikely that a gluten-free variety will appear soon. Even the old world ladies in my area buy it not make it from scratch as even making the wheat variety is incredibly time consuming.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#9 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 05:47 PM

I have never seen filo dough or puff pastry in my Wal-Mart.....I do know that on the www.betterbetter.org site she has a filo dough to make.
Also , Orgran has a puff pastry mix ( not the pastry & pizza mix) I haven't reid it but maybe someone on here has tried Orgran .....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: