This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Motivated By Competition

Noura

Noura Rookie

I'm working on getting my body back. If I was serious for a couple months I think I could have my body back. Eating is a challenge as are all the things that go along with Celiac however, I'm not quitting. Anyone else? So, I thought if we got back in shape together in the spirit of friendly competition... for example, I worked out this many days how about you or I did x many push ups that sort of thing. So let me know if you'd like to join me and we'll figure it out together.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Roda Rising Star

This sounds like a fun thread. I started exercising the end of Dec. My husband bought me the EA sports Active for the Wii. I had not done much before this. I can say it definately can make you sweat. I have not done anything in the past 2 1/2 weeks because I have been not feeling well and when I would try and exercise I almost would throw up. I'm starting to feel better and got back on track (I hope) tonight. I did not get to finish the 30 day challange but I'm going to finish it regardless. After that I am going to do it all over again in the "hard intensity". There are alot of other exercises on it to do too. I am probably going to get the second edition also. It has been alot of fun for me. I can tell I am firming up and my cardio is slowly improving as well as alot of my upper body muscles. I did go out and buy a new resistance band since the one that came with it did not do much for me.

Noura Rookie

Sorry you weren't feeling well. Nice of your husband to buy you something to help you stay in shape! What is the 30 day challenge? I have a wii too however I'm using a DVD right now. Do you want to go for body fat loss percentage or do you want to do this 30 day challenge or both? I'm open. Just let me know! I'm feeling motivated already!

I'm normally self motivated but I've struggled so much with extreme bloating it's been hard. I'm just glad to finally be diagnosed, to have answers and now I'm ready to really live again! I have leaky gut and almost no digestive enzymes; I have to take enzymes before every meal. And I have quite a bit of yeast in my gut we are working on. (pre/probiotic and a lot of diflucan sp?) Well, thanks for wanting to join me! I'm ready to get my body and my discipline back! Hey, if Jackie Chan can do it at almost 60 so can we!

Roda Rising Star

The EA Sports Active wii disc has multiple workouts with different intensity levels from easy to hard. It also has a preselected work out option they call the 30 day challange. You select your intensity (easy, medium or hard) and it sets up a exercise schedule for you over a 30 day time frame. You can track your progress, set goals and enter things in your journal. For example you can set how many calories, workouts and hours you want to burn in a certain timeframe. I am going to buy a device that calculates this because from some of the reviews I've read the calorie burn is not very accurate. If you want more information on it look it up on the website (the one that has the same name as a large river in South America), and there is a video clip and lots of reviews. I did not get to work out Saturday because I had sleep. I work third shift and it can be a little crazy. I hope to get up in time today and go at it again this eve before going into work. I've been having symptoms tonight so we'll see. I'm in the process of ruling out gallbladder issues. If the test I have scheduled on Tuesday is normal I guess I'm facing another EGD. I can't put my finger on it yet. I am wanting to loose body fat of course but want to get in better physical shape in general. In Oct. I weighted around 195# and I am down to 183# now. I am about 5' 7" tall and have a very thick build. My goal right now is to get down to 170# by eating sensibly and incorporating some exercise. I am going to set small goals and when I reach that I will set a new one. I could be happy staying at 160# and have no desire to go below 150#. It will be nice to have someone to help keep me motivated!

Noura Rookie

Well, you seem to have some reasonable goals set for yourself. That's a good place to be especially since you have had so much difficulty with health issues. This week I am shooting for 4 times working out. I don't have a lot of weight I want to lose but I want to decrease my body fat significantly and get rid of the dunlop and jiggle and cottage cheese! Bleh! I used to work out a lot and a car accident abruptly ended that for some time, then life and then children etc. So, I'd like to lose about 8 pounds. I have a small frame so a little makes a big difference on me.

So, how about this... for our first goal we choose the number of times we'll work out this week and check in with each other. Oh, and if you keep your "junk foods" for the weekend you'll have much better success. It's 80% what you eat and 20% your exercise that will change your body. I used to work out with a trainer that made some Mr. America's and Mr. Universes. He was great! And no, I don't look like "Inga" LOL! I just told him what I wanted out of my body and in 2 months that's what I got. It was better than what I thought I'd get really. And you can eat clean and be gluten free as well so let's go!

I'll work out 4 times this week for 14 minutes each time. I'm using a DVD. I want to be consistent and then add more time as I'm able. I figured with the 5 children that was a good place to start. I've been doing 3 times a week at 14 min. for the last month or so.

So let me know what you think.

Roda Rising Star

Sounds great! My goal for the week is to work out 5 times for around 20-30 min. each session. Sunday and Monday were a bust. I'm going this am for my hida scan. I was going to work out yesterday eve. but stomach was not cooperative. :( In all honesty, I'll be doing good to get 3-4 times in this week, but I'll just keep trying! I am sort of following the South Beach Diet. I got a little side tracked over the last two months, but am doing good now. My parents are in town this week and eat South Beach, so I'm having fun cooking for us and sharing some things with someone who likes some similar things. I cooked them a zucchinni fritatta for lunch yesterday and Dad loved it! I made some banana bread with eryritol and stevia and coconut flour. So really low carb/sugar free and they liked it too. The thing that bothers me is that doctors focus on BMI. I know I am overweight right now, but if was to get down to 150# and toned, according to the BMI charts they would have me still overweight. I'm for sure I do not want to get below this level. The last time I weighted 150# was after my youngest son was born up until he was almost two. I was not as toned either. I was really skinny for my frame and could fit into size 8 jeans. I was thin and I liked how I looked. I started putting the weight back on when I stopped breastfeeding. This was during my undiagnosed period also. I am trying to be realistic and not expect to have a body like I had in my 20's :lol: however, people usually guess me around 26-28, so not too shabby. :P I'll check in later tonight with you! I'm having fun already. I am wanting to improve on my fitness since spring is around the corner and my oldest son and I love to mountain bike around town and on the bike trails. There are some good hills around here.

tarnalberry Community Regular

I look forward to joining you guys after the baby comes! The scale is up to 150 (which is 5 pounds shy of what I've topped out at life-time; I'm 5'3" and small framed), and I know the baby needs it, but man, I look forward to being able to get more aerobic exercise. I do teach yoga, so I'm getting 1.5-3 hours of yoga a da, not to mention walking the dog, and occasionally swimming. :-o (A dog is a fabulous way to get regular exercise. I feel quite guilty about not taking him for a walk once he starts repeatedly asking for one, even when it's quite cold outside. :P)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Noura Rookie

Roda- Mountain biking sounds great!!!! I'm sorry you are having a difficult time. But don't think it's all or nothing. You are not failing if you don't work out 6 times a week. The idea is to look at progress. And who cares what the chart says! Those are generalizations. If Arnold S filled one out they'd say he was overweight too! Caliper test might be better for you if you are that concerned. All I have to do is look at my midsection and I know that I'm not where I want to be. Here's something a very wise woman told me.... "Something is better than nothing... AND... always shoot for more. It's a phrase that gets you going but also doesn't let you get lazy! So although I won't go hard on you for not working out 6 days a week for 20-30 minutes I'll help you stay motivated to do what you are able to do and not make poor excuses.

Tarnalberry- I look forward to you joining us. Take care of the little one! And congratulations!

Roda Rising Star

Well I did exercise today. Wow it was a little rough, but it felt good! I got in a good 25 mins. I'm going to try again tomorrow. I sleep so good when I do this regulary. I appreciate the support. I know what is right for my body and don't get hung up on the whole BMI thing. I'm going to get my bike in the shop for a tune up so it will be ready for me. Up until mid last summer I was carrying my youngest son with me on my bike. He loved it and it was a good way for all three of us to have fun. I had a child seat that went in front of the bicycle seat. It was called weeride. I liked it much better than the ones that go behind you. It did not throw my balace off and he got to see everything. I highly reccomend it if anyone likes to bike ride. Might be something that tarnalberry would like to do with the baby when he/she is old enough. I know my now 5 year old is sad he can't ride with me and "pretend motorcycle." :( He is not very interested in riding on his own either. I may get a tandum that he can sit on and help pedal for on the back.

Noura Rookie

Great job on your workout!!! That bike thing sounds like a great idea! I'll have to try that with my 2 year old! I want the family to get out and have a more active lifestyle. It's hard sometimes when the work is pilled so high and you feel like the 80/20 rule is working against you but I'll keep going until I get it flipped around. I'm kind of stubborn. :) Sometimes that's a good thing. :) Today I'm doing a lower body workout. I'm looking forward to the change. I haven't done this one before. It'll also be nice to get back home. But I don't leave here until Friday. I guess 5 days isn't all that long but it's although a good one is a little tiring at times! Well, hang in there and good going on your work out! If you can, take advantage of the times when you feel good to try and get those work outs in. How's your eating?

Roda Rising Star

Great on the workout! I have been doing alot of lower body since that is where I need the most focus. I did more of a lower body work out yesterday and it really worked my glutes and thighs. Tonight I was able to do about a 20 min workout focusing on upper body. Thank goodness not alot of jumping or running. It made me feel like I accomplished something. I did cheet a little today and ate gluten free rice crispy treats with the toasted coconut marshmallows. Boy were they good, but I paid for it after.

I got my Hida scan results back (well I copied them from work). Here is the link to my last post.

https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/index.php?showtopic=65948&st=15

I was hoping someone here had some thoughts. I really cracked down awhile back on cross contamination. I know now I'm not getting cc'd at home and explained that to the doctor's nurse. Something is off. It does not matter what I eat. Tonight I am so distended I look about 6-7 months pregnant, and I assure you I'm not! :rolleyes: The burping and bad taste in my mouth is really getting to me. I took a couple of gas ex and it is helping the lower gi tract, but not my stomach. I really do believe that my gallbladder is causing all this problem. I hope when I talk to the doctor he will recommend something. I'm going to go crazy. I guess it could be worse, I could be in alot of pain and I am not. Still taxing just the same.

You'll love the Weeride. My youngest was two when I got it and he was 4 1/2 when he grew out of it. It is sort of on the expensive side, but it was well worth the money. We had such a good time and he still talks about it. My 9 year old got a new mountain bike last spring. He has grown alot since summer so I hope he can at least get this summer out of it. I may have to get him a new one. We'll see. Here is a link to the weeride:

Open Original Shared Link

dilettantesteph Collaborator

Can I join you gals? I decided that I was finally healthy enough again to exercise more seriously. I signed up for a mini triathlon this summer and I've been training for that. I had a down period when something I was eating was bothering me and it took quite awhile to figure it out. I was just getting back to it when I got hit again yesterday. I feel much better today, though.

I've been running and biking, but there is a lot of snow and ice out there right now, so I just row and go on the elliptical. I had a treadmill, but it broke down, finally, after 12 years.

I just signed up for a 5 k race this spring so I need to get running outside again ASAP.

I'm not going for weight loss, just fat loss and general fitness.

Roda Rising Star

Can I join you gals? I decided that I was finally healthy enough again to exercise more seriously. I signed up for a mini triathlon this summer and I've been training for that. I had a down period when something I was eating was bothering me and it took quite awhile to figure it out. I was just getting back to it when I got hit again yesterday. I feel much better today, though.

I've been running and biking, but there is a lot of snow and ice out there right now, so I just row and go on the elliptical. I had a treadmill, but it broke down, finally, after 12 years.

I just signed up for a 5 k race this spring so I need to get running outside again ASAP.

I'm not going for weight loss, just fat loss and general fitness.

Come on and join the fun! I think it's great and we'll be happy to cheer you on I like this thread. It is helping me in the motiviation aspect and keeping me accountable.

I exerciced for 20 min. again this morning. More total body. If I feel up to it this evening I may go for another 20 min. Now that I am getting back into a routine, I am wanting to do it more.

Roda Rising Star

The kids had their final swim class yesterday and parents were invited to swim. It wasn't the most intense exercise, but I did stay in the pool for 45 min. I was swimming back and forth with a 5 year old on my back and then racing the 9 year old. I plan on a workout sometime today with the EA sports active. It will be somewhere between 20-30 min.

I got back to rowing or going on the elliptical for 30 minutes a day. For the last couple of days I've been shoveling snow. I have enough of that in my driveway to last me another couple of days. I was going to swim on Friday, but then there was a snow day so the pool was closed, too bad. I haven't gone swimming in two weeks now. It's great exercise. I was somewhere between a kilometer and a mile. Doesn't it feel great to be exercising again? Maybe I'll go cross country skiing later today.

Roda Rising Star

Did upper body and cardio today for around 30 minutes. I've also been good on not snacking today. I made strawberry smoothies from non fat french vanilla yogurt, 1% milk, frozen strawberries, banana and truvia. I added a couple of tablespoons of coconut flour to thicken it up and add flavor and fiber. When I use coconut flour I always stay full longer.

dilenttantesteph--did you get to go skiining? Sounds like fun. We don't get enough snow here. When I lived in NW PA I did some cross country skiing, but never have went down hill skiing and I only lived 45 minutes from a ski resort. :rolleyes: When I lived in NC I was close to the skiing in Banner Elk, but again never went. I guess thats why I like my mountain bike now. I'm chomping at the bit waiting to go. :D

Roda Rising Star

I did 30 minutes of exercise split between cardio and upper/lower body. Felt good. I am going to get back on track with the south beach diet tommorow. My muscles are really toning up and now I want to get rid of the "fluff" around them so I can "see" the results.

Noura Rookie

Hi again everyone!!! Sorry I've been out of touch but I've been very busy! I did exercise 4 times last week like I said I would! One of those was at 10:30 at night and I'm not a night person!!! But I did it! Last week I was at my brother's house babysitting his children for the week. So I had mine and his! Roda, nice to hear you are really kickin' it! And I so understand about the 6 mo pregnant look. I ended up taking digestive enzymes, diflucan, prebiotic and probiotic. I also found I didn't bloat as much if I stayed away from Soy and ate much, much smaller meals more often. I had a lot of yeast in my gut. Almost no digestive enzymes to speak of, and a leaky gut and malabsorption. I feel your pain! I am going to work out 4 times this week too! Hey, if the guys on Biggest Looser Can lose 75 lbs in a month. I can get back into my athletic shape! And we can't use age as an excuse. Jackie Chan is almost 60! Go for the big picture girls!!! Find a picture of what you want to look like and post it on your fridge. It might motivate you! Stay consistent. Do the same routine but no longer than 2 months at a time. 1 month isn't bad to do the same one. Oh and in certain areras VGs is having some sort of Celiac Awareness Saturday this week end... you get to test food, get recipes and coupons!!!! Maybe we could start measuring body fat or something and see how we go down each week. Of course that would have to be via email. I don't want the whole world to see that! :) Have fun girls!

Roda Rising Star

Do you measure body fat with a caliper or some other way? I really don't think I would like what I would see :lol: . I'm going to shoot for 4-5 times this week.

Noura Rookie

Well gals, how is everyone doing? I am getting closer to one of my goals! I didn't even realize it until a friend asked me how many push ups I could do. I said I didn't know so I got down and started pushing... guy style. I couldn't believe it. 20. Yes, 20! My goal is 30. I didn't think I was that close but I guess working out is paying off! I didn't make 4 times this week but 3. I'm going for 4 next week. Have had stomach pain for 2 days straight. I'm not sure what it's all about . Think I'll call the dr. on Monday. It woke me up at night once. I can't seem to eat very much or I get a lot of pain and it doesn't seem to matter what I eat. I'm eating very little... because it hurts when I eat and I'm losing weight but I'm tight even in my "fat" pants. Go figure! A lot of swelling I guess. Anyway, I'm stubborn so I have a work out to do and an example to set which means a lot to me. So, let's not quit girls! Even if it's harder for us than others, even if our bodies are uncooperative... It is easier not to. Never said this would be easy by the way. My body may not be the picture of health I'd like it to be but I have a God-given heart to drag that mess across the finish line!!! So let's get it done!!!

Roda Rising Star

Well I managed to work out 4 times this week. Thursday I really stepped it up and went a good 40 minutes. Today I finished the last exercise routine in the 30 day challange (not in 30 days though :( ) and felt like I did accomplish something. I'm going to take a rest tommorow and set a new 30 day challange on the hard intensity starting Monday. I am going to try my hardest to get it done in the time frame if my body will cooperate. I am starting to feel like a kid again. If the weather holds out tomorrow, I am taking the boys bike riding. I'm so excited about my progress that I don't think I will be in too bad of shape. Noura I'm sorry you feel bad. I feel your pain. My symptoms have let up some. I went back to my eating plan and I have had only minor bloating. I got heartburn this morning at work from the peruvian quinoa stew I made. The Chili powder, cumin and caynne definately did not agree with me. I am scheduled for another EGD in April. I hope you figure it out.

I didn't go skiing. We had plenty of snow, but it was too warm! I went running instead. I haven't been for 6 weeks or so, so I only went 2 miles, but it wasn't bad. Unfortunately I got into some gluten recently and my GERD acted up so I was burping acid for the last mile. Today I just went for a walk and did housecleaning. The housecleaning was more exercise than the walk and the GERD started acting up again. Hope I can exercise better tomorrow. You gals are doing so much better than I with my big plans of a Mini triathlon. I've got to get going!

Roda Rising Star

I knew I was doing better with all the exercise , but today it really hit home. I went for a 45 min. bike ride with my oldest son and I felt great! I was not huffing and puffing to catch my breath and it did not fatigue my legs at all(all of those lunges and squats are starting to pay off) :lol: . I even made it up the one hill behind our house without stopping once! :) My son (who's 9) actually asked if we could go home because he was tired. :blink: I still wanted to keep going. Then hubby and I took both kids and the dog out and we played for over an hour. It was really exciting to be able to run around and chase them without getting immediatly short of breath (some of that had to do with my chronic low ferritin). I've been on cloud nine since. I even started the 30 day challange again tonight on the hard intensity and had a good 30 min workout. Boy now I am tired, but I'm still up there. This is going to be such a great year!! Now if I can just get my stomach troubles to settle down (they have alot but not there yet). :rolleyes:

I'm doing better again. I ran 2.5 miles Mon and rowed for 30 minutes on Tues. Today I'm planning to run 3 miles. It does feel great when you can out do your kids with energy. Last time I ran with my daughter, I outdid her. She's been running a lot more than I have recently, so I wouldn't outrun her now. Cinnamon seems to be the cause of my latest. I was trying to make a nice treat for my son and instead I made both of us sick. That was the only new ingredient. I hope he makes it through his day at school. He had 3 muffins and I only had one. Poor guy. Sometimes it seems like we are sick more often than we are healthy.

Noura Rookie

Wow! You girls are really going!!! You are really killin' it!!! You should be thrilled! And I'm so glad you are seeing results already! I did work out that time I said I would. And this week I did work out 4 times. Now I see where I really need the encouragement. EATING!!!! I am exercising and seeing some results and I can do 20 push ups! Sorry, did I already mention that? I was just so excited! Anyway, I know what I am supposed to eat but I've been on an ice cream binge for a couple weeks! In 2 weeks we are going to Florida for Spring break and I hate the way I look like I have a cupcake top in my jeans! Anyone know what I'm talking about?! Anyway, so I need you girls to check up on me. My goal with eating is to stay away from junk food M-F for 2 weeks. I know if I was just being disciplined in this area I'd see far more results.

My 4 times this week of exercise was 2 upper body and 2 lower body.

As far as measuring body fat I use a formula. I don't have any calipers or anything.

As I'm writing this my husband has a jar of hot fudge out. Ok. I'm going to be strong. I don't need any of that at this time of night. Oh and I also don't want to eat anything past 7pm at night. So there it is. I'm accountable now. So feel free to ask! If I know you are going to ask I'll be more likely to stick to it and I know it's my eating that is the only thing in the way.

So I hear the new goals... the running, the new 30 day challenge etc. You girls sure are doing a great job!

I think I'm going to stick with my current work out for this next week and then the next week I may change it up. I haven't decided yet. Well, keep it going!

Archived