This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Motivated By Competition

Noura

Roda Rising Star

This week was a bust for me. Tuesday night I started not feeling well and it has lasted until today. I know for a fact it's the gallbladder. I was able Mon. to start day 1 of my new 30 day challange and went for a 40 minute bike ride. I was so excited. Tuesday before supper I went on an intense 20 minute bike ride by myself. Sadly that was the last I did anything this week. Supper did me in on Tues. Aside from lack of sleep I'm hopefull to start back tommorow. The only good thing that came of it is I was hardly eating since it made my stomach hurt and get the D. I'm not giving up though! I know I've made progress and it feels good! :P As for the icecream, I had a bowl tonight, yum, but I'm sure my body will object soon. :lol:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Erin Elberson Newbie

So awesome that you guys are doing this. Social support and accountability is a huge part of success!

Keep it up :)

dilettantesteph Collaborator

Well, I did that 3 mile run, the next day swam 40 minutes, and the day after that rowed 40 minutes. Now I need to decide whether or not to run because it is raining. I'm a bit of a weather wimp. My GERD is pretty well gone but still have morning tummy issues. Hope I can get cleaned up enough to get rid of that and then I can start to push myself more.

I don't have the junk food problem. I can't eat it. It gives me D. Too much CC, I think. I'm very sensitive. I know all about the muffin top though, Noura. My goal is to get rid of it. I was doing well until I got sick. That really makes it tough. Hope you feel better soon Roda.

Noura Rookie

Thanks guys! And wow! Is that your pic Erin?! I used to look good too! I used to work out 6 days a week for 1 1/2 to 2 hours a day and I ate ridiculous! I had a personal trainer that was amazing! He has made some Mr. America and Mr. Universe winners. He knew how to get it done. But I don't want to be on a body builder's diet long term. It's not really healthy to do so long term. I don't know why this has been such an issue for me. It didn't use to be. But I can't look back. I have to look at where I am and go from here. So that's why I asked for the accountability concerning food. So, I don't mind at all if you put on a little pressure. Nothing like positive peer pressure. So, this week no sweets, no junk food (chips...). It's clean eating for me! I guess I'd better buy some bananas and strawberries since that's the closest thing to dessert for me. I don't know why I crave sugar so much except maybe I've made it a habit that I'm going to have to work on. I'm curious how you treat your GERD Roda. I have issues with it too and I don't want to be on Nexium anymore. Well, time to kick some rear end! Here I go girls!

Roda Rising Star

If I get minor gerd symptoms I just eat a few tums and eat very bland. If it is really bad I take a previcid or zantac and it does the trick. The doctor gave me kapidex samples to try, and while they helped the gerd, it bloated me up like a toad and made me constipated. I had such bad gas pains I was hurting between my shoulder blades. April 6th I go for an EGD. I'm still convinced it's the gallbladder, but they want to rule out other possible causes. So the tums, occasional otc h2 blocker and a bland diet. I also have been trying to eat smaller and have a few snacks also. Tonight I am going to start again exercising. I got a hankering for lemon bars and sesame chicken so I made both this evening. I ate way to much! No gerd, just feel gross for eating to much. That is the most food I have eaten in one sitting in a long while. As far as the sugar cravings, I can relate. I started substuting truvia instead of sugar. When I bake I use a mixture of pure stevia extract and erythritol. It is natural and there is no horrible aftertaste. I have made many things with it and love the results. I order from Lame Advertisement.com and if interested I have a code to get $5.00 off if you are a first time customer.

Are tums gluten free? I thought they weren't. When I get GERD, I just wait for it to go away which takes a few days usually. Tums would probably be better.

I ran yesterday and today I'm going to row and swim.

Roda Rising Star

I've had no problem with the regular and fruit flavored tums. Here is their statement from their website: Open Original Shared Link

I was able to exercise last night for about 45 min. I added in some abdominal exercises and I feel it. :lol:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Erin Elberson Newbie

Thanks guys! And wow! Is that your pic Erin?! I used to look good too! I used to work out 6 days a week for 1 1/2 to 2 hours a day and I ate ridiculous! I had a personal trainer that was amazing! He has made some Mr. America and Mr. Universe winners. He knew how to get it done. But I don't want to be on a body builder's diet long term. It's not really healthy to do so long term. I don't know why this has been such an issue for me. It didn't use to be. But I can't look back. I have to look at where I am and go from here. So that's why I asked for the accountability concerning food. So, I don't mind at all if you put on a little pressure. Nothing like positive peer pressure. So, this week no sweets, no junk food (chips...). It's clean eating for me! I guess I'd better buy some bananas and strawberries since that's the closest thing to dessert for me. I don't know why I crave sugar so much except maybe I've made it a habit that I'm going to have to work on. I'm curious how you treat your GERD Roda. I have issues with it too and I don't want to be on Nexium anymore. Well, time to kick some rear end! Here I go girls!

Hey Noura!

Thanks-yup, that's me. I train with weights 4x/week for about 45 minutes, and cardio for intervals 3-4x week 20 minutes or so. My eats are clean. Training with weights is key for me, as far as body composition. I think eating like an athlete is totally maintainable long term, it all depends on exactly how it's structured. Restrictive eating in any form can lead to rebound and binging in the long term.

Re: the sugar-it seems to be a bit of a "habit" for sure-physiologically and psychologically. Berries are awesome-high nutrition, fiber, and lower in calories.

Kind of off-but have you tried incorporating apple cider vinegar into your foods to try to help with the GERD?

Keep kicking booty everyone!

Jestgar Rising Star

Google Erin's full name and 'gluten' to find her page (she can't tell you that, but I can :P ).

I just started (re-started?) weights. I had forgotten how much I love it, it's been years...

Thanks for the tums info. Maybe I'll try them next time. I'm feeling healthy again. I did a 40 min row and a 40 min swim on Monday, a 40 minute run Tuesday and a 50 min bike ride Wed. Today I'll run again. We're having a spell of good weather. I need to take advantage of it because it is supposed to snow again in the future and I'll be limited to rowing and swimming when the pool is open for public swimming (not often). I was getting some pretty sore muscles, but I think I'm starting to get used to it again. I also do stretching and abs. I can do that in front of the T.V. in the evenings. Keep it up ladies!

Noura Rookie

Hi girls! Seems like everyone is doing great! Keep it up! Thanks for the input on GERD. The Kroger brand of Tums is gluten free. I don't like to take them except when I'm really struggling. I am already on Nexium but my doctor is trying to get me off of them and onto some other more natural solution. I've tried the apple cider vinegar... it made it worse. I'm starting to notice a pattern of certain foods that seem to trigger it if I eat too much of it... peanuts, chocolate... Anyway, I made my 4 times again this week. And I was really encouraged by some amazing women! This one woman has had 7 children and looks like I want to look! One of the women lost 10 inches in 10 days! You know that had to be eating super clean! So I'm charged up to eat clean this week! I'll let you guys know when I lose inches!

Roda Rising Star

I made it 3 times this week so not too shabby, but wanted it to be at least 4. I'll get it next week.

Erin Elberson Newbie

Google Erin's full name and 'gluten' to find her page (she can't tell you that, but I can :P ).

I just started (re-started?) weights. I had forgotten how much I love it, it's been years...

LOL! Thank you!

And YAY for weight training!

Noura-it's definitely an individual thing with the vinegar-for some people it helps a lot, others it makes worse. Glad you are feeling better though!

The vinegar made me worse too. Today is my day off training. I did 7 - 40 minute or more work-outs this week. I deserve a day off. I did do a little walk to the winter farmer's market. Plus I got glutened somehow and I've had to make far too many trips to the bathroom to have been comfortable doing a 50 minute bike ride. Hopefully the bathroom part will be over tomorrow, and it'll be "just" the GERD. I'm following someones training schedule and I haven't checked yet what I'm in for this week. Unfortunately the weather got worse so I'll be running in rain and maybe even snow. Not so nice. It's nice to have the encouragement of you fine women.

• 2 weeks later...
tictax707 Apprentice

I feel like I am cheating by responding because I am in training for a half ironman in a few weeks, but today I swam for an hour and biked for an hour and a half. I love love love to train, and I can get really sad when I am limited by having to run to the bathroom. I do think that my intestines are much happier when my workouts are good. Hopefully you guys will also find that too! (positive feedback loop!) :D

Roda Rising Star

Glad to hear that someone is having luck. Keep up the good work! I've been a slug since my last post. I caught my kid's cold and I've been having issues with my stomach. Exercise was not doing my congestion, reflux and diarrhea any justice. I feel really bad about not doing anything too. I'm hoping to get back on track this week if my body cooperates. Going for my EGD next Tuesday. I guess I'm afraid of what they may find. I've had one about 1 1/2 years ago when I was diagnosed. All of these symptoms have cropped up since Jan. Wish me luck guys!

tictax707 Apprentice

Good luck - for sure! It is a fine balance knowing when exercise will help you vs weaken you. Hopefully you will feel up to exercising in a few days. Ultimately though, you shouldn't feel bad about not being about to work out. Gotta rest so you can get better sooner! What are they looking for this time with the EGD...?

Roda Rising Star

Good luck - for sure! It is a fine balance knowing when exercise will help you vs weaken you. Hopefully you will feel up to exercising in a few days. Ultimately though, you shouldn't feel bad about not being about to work out. Gotta rest so you can get better sooner! What are they looking for this time with the EGD...?

Well, I'm not really sure, but I suspect anything from ulcers, reflux, etc. He mentioned doing more biopsies to see how things are going too. I have had symptoms of intense belching, recurrence of my reflux, bloating, and frequent bouts of diarrhea and a pulling/tugging sensation just right of the xyphoid. I thought at first maybe I was getting gluten somewhere, so I rechecked all of my food and toiletries and it was all fine. Next I looked at cross contamination and identified some areas that needed improvement from the rest of the family. I changed what I was eating and I think some of it is related to fatty foods, but I can get this way without fatty foods. I feel the best when I fast, but then I get the low blood sugar and get nasty. My glutened symptoms usually are heartburn/reflux within 30 min or so after consuming something and then I get bloated and constipated for days on end. I had a gallbladder ultrasound and it was normal. Had a Hida scan and my gallbladder is functioning at 48% with 35% being the threshold. Doc said he wanted to rule out anything else before he would even begin to question that my gallbladder could be the culprit. He does not seem to think it is but I still am not ruling it out. He also had me do stool tests for culture and sensitivity, ova and parsites, leukocytes, c-diff and occult blood. One of the more unpleasent things I've had to do :huh: , but I think that will all come back alright. Even with the exercise I have done, I have not lost any more weight. I can tell a difference in my overall body shape as my muscles are becoming more toned. I know muscle weighs more, but I really thought I would actually loose a few pounds too. I'm due to see the endocrinologist soon maybe I need a med adjustment.

Hey does cultivating my garden spot(small area) with a cultivator attachment for a weed trimmer count? I think every muscle in my arms and chest hurt! Ha Ha! Oh, but well worth the effort when I am eating all the veggies this summer.

Hi tictax707. I'm training for a sprint triathlon, my first race ever, but that seems like nothing compared to a half ironman. A couple of days ago I did my first brick. I cycled for 40 minutes then ran 1.5 miles. Boy, I see why it is called a brick. I thought that dead legs feeling would go away after the first while, but it lasted the whole run. I felt like taking a nap after. It doesn't help that I'm a bit glutened. It seems I'm often a bit glutened and training must go on. The d while running issue is tough. I find that running makes me feeling like going at the best of times, but when you are afraid to poop in your pants, it is hard to know when to listen to those urges and when not to. Last run I stopped twice to use a bathroom. It is really hard to design your run around available toilets. Yesterday I stayed in the house on the rowing machine. Tomorrow I need to take the car in so I hope I'm up to running again. I'm not sure yet what I'll do today. Any helpful hints for running after a bike?

tictax707 Apprentice

A sprint is definitely not nothing!! YAY for you for getting on out there and trying it. :) I hear you on all fronts - from the jelly legs on the brick to feeling wiped out to the stupid bathroom runs! For the jelly legs - firstly I would say just keep at the bricks. I would recommend one every other week. That part will get better, I promise. Plus, depending on how long you have before your race, you might make the run portion a bit shorter to ease yourself in. You could start off with just 5 minutes of running after the bike, then next time, 10, then 15, etc.

But what I am sure is adding to your pain is being drained from being glutened. If you are not well hydrated then things are going to suck no matter what. I have found that when I have the constant diah. I have to use other sources to keep me generally hydrated throughout the day (and in turn well prepped for workouts). Gatorade (or powerade) is one of my go-tos because it is usually what they serve on race courses - so why not be sure my body is well used to it... I also use Pedialyte for when things are really rough. They really work wonders.

For the bathrooms... all I can say is yes it totally sucks, and thank you for putting out there that you are afriad to poop in your pants. God how many times I have been sprinting around looking for a potty with that fear on my heels. Sometimes I have to use the bushes. I have found that I will run with TP or those handy wipes (get the ones that are single packaged) when things are sketchy. They make water belts with pockets in them, or you can find a way to secure it to a phone or a pocket in your shorts or something. I have gotten good at planning runs that go by gas stations or grocery stores...

I really hope you feel better soon!! B)

I get over the D part of glutenings pretty fast these days. All better. Running with baby wipes sounds rough. I usually need a shower after my bad incidents though. I'm not sure baby wipes would cut it.

My energy still isn't all the way back. I went on an hour bike ride yesterday and felt good about it. Today I brought the car in ready to do the "easy" 3 mile run back. Only after that bike ride, it wasn't easy. I had to do a run/walk. I guess it'll still take me awhile to build up my endurance and muscles. My race isn't until mid-July so I have lots of time. I have a 5 K end of May, but that should go O.K. already. I'm still going to try to swim tonight. It's the only time I could make it this week.

Thanks for the hydrating tips. I haven't been worrying much about that because it is cold still and I don't want to need bathroom breaks for that either, but maybe that is adding to my fatigue.

tictax707 Apprentice

Oh thank goodness that the D part goes away quickly - that for sure screws with your hydration, even if you feel ok. I mean, D by definition means more water loss than normal. I am sorry that the bad incidents are so bad. :( I don't know what to suggest other than more tp - I totally cram all available pockets with it when I am worried. :lol: Incidents freak me out so much that I end up being happy to just do laps that pass a potty every 15 minutes or so because having an incident makes me so upset.

Sorry about the energy levels - that can be incredibly frustrating. it probably will take a little bit for you to adjust to all this. the fact you are adjusting to THREE sports, not just one, is really kind of a jolt for your body... But it's SO good for your overall fitness!

Yeah - even though it's cold, you still have to be up on the hydration. It's not as bad as in the summer, but that's more of a salt balance worry than anythign else. I bet you will feel better if you are sure you are hydrated before you set out. Another thing you might try for energy levels during your workouts is gu. Some have caffiene and some don't. They are gluten and casein free. When your workouts get near an hour total, you can down one 15 minutes before you start. They are designed to be easy to digest. I never have caffiene except for in my gu, and boy does it work for a good strong "kick." Maybe it might help you too?

Thanks for the suggestion, but I am one of those super sensitive celiacs. I can't eat regular gluten free food as it still makes me sick. I stick to almost all unprocessed foods, or at least ones only processed by me. I am thinking of using dehydrated banana chips for longer workouts and the race. How does that sound?

tictax707 Apprentice

I say try it! I think it will work if you can actually digest it without problems. It would give me pause personally because the banana chips have a tougher consistency, and I know my tummy would have to work harder to break it down. But, like i said, it's definitey worth a shot. Maybe dried cranberries too? Even though it might end up as a mushy mess, you might just try the banana straight up, without dehydration. Maybe keep the skin on and cut it into several pieces and wrap with saran wrap. oh - what about orange slices??

Also, since you mentioned no processed foods, does this mean you don't drink any sports drinks? :unsure: Using only water will just not cut it to keep you hydrated... :(

That's right, no sports drinks. I was thinking I could get the electrolytes from the bananas.

Archived