5 replies to this topic

#1 KayJay

KayJay

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 10:37 AM

I am just wondering if you are treated any different from your ob dr. because of your celiac. Mine knows I have it but doesn't know much about celiac. She sent me to a GI who wants me to see a nutritionist. My ob also scheduled me for an extra ultrasound to make sure the baby and her organs are growing properly. And I have to go in every 3 weeks instead of 4 to make sure I am gaining enough weight. I am super strict on my gluten-free diet so I think everything is going great but I was just wondering if anyone else is being monitored closely? I like it because I feel well taken care of but I am curious what other doctors think?
gluten-free since 2004!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Merika

Merika

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 10:17 PM

Interesting. I just asked my midwife about this (for theoretical baby #2) and she said no problem. If you are gluten-free and following your diet I can't imagine why you'd need the headache of extra visits. My guess is she doesn't know much about celiac and pregnancy (recent research showed it had very little effect) and is covering her butt (for insurance/lawsuits).

Btw, from my own research, the extra ultrasound is completely unnecessary and just exposes your baby to the negatives of ultrasound, with no benefit to you or the baby.

Merika

#3 Twister2

Twister2

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 05:32 AM

HI Kayjay...my OB seems to know very little about Celiacs, he asked me if I was seeing a GI and because I said yes he did not seem concerned. He has not suggested any extra care for me due to the Celiacs.

How are you feeling now? Do you know what you are having? We are havng a boy this time!

Cheers,

Twister
Antibody positive, diagnosed October 2004.
Mother and two sisters with Celiacs also
Edmond, Oklahoma

#4 KayJay

KayJay

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 11:33 AM

I am feeling pretty good now I did have a rough 5 months at the beginning but now I feel better. I think that is also why my dr. is a little more concerned. I finally gained weight and she said last time I was in well you finally look pregnant! :D We are having a girl Madelyn Grace. I think the extra ultrasound is good just to make sure she is growing properly and all. I have it done in a week from today. I am hoping that she is still a girl after this one! ;)

Twister congrats on your little boy!
gluten-free since 2004!

#5 MommyMegan

MommyMegan

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 03:39 PM

My OB takes extra good notes because of the celiac and the office asked me to put together a one page local resource guide for when they have another celiac patient. I have taken the time to learn about my condition over the years and they respect my expertise. My OB has done some reading on his own but says that he can't see any problems with my pregnancy at all - let alone ones that could be due to celiac. My biggest challenge was the gluten-free and iron free vitamin. But I solved that with an iron free daily vitamin and folic acid.
I suspect that undiagnosed celiac has something to do with the high miscarriage rate in my family. I am blessed to have missed that curse - perhaps because I have been vigilantly gluten-free for more than 4 years now. We conceived within 3 months of trying and have had no problems so far.
We just found out we're having a boy and he has all the appropriate number of digits and a complete spine and all. We're naming him Owen Michael.

#6 KayJay

KayJay

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 03:36 PM

Megan congrats on your little boy that is a cute name!

We had our second ultrasound today and I am happy to announce our little girl is still a girl and looks to be very healthy. She weighs 3 pounds :D Last time she didn't weigh enough to register I can't believe how much she has grown then again I can because I see my own tummy growing every day :lol: We are naming our baby Madelyn Grace.
gluten-free since 2004!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: