2 replies to this topic

#1 daniknik

daniknik

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 12:09 PM

So I just realized that while the Burt's Bees lip balm I've been using for years is gluten free, it includes vitamin E derived from soy. I am intolerant of both gluten and soy and I have a couple of questions.

1. Should I discontinue use of products containing soy derivatives? (This includes hair and fact products too) I.E. vitamin E?
Some sites I've looked at say that soy oil/lecithin is safe for those with intolerances...I'm not so sure.

2. Is petroleum jelly (Vaseline) a safe alternative?

3. If vaseline is not okay...do you have any suggestions for gluten/soy free lip balm or chap-stick. I live in the Midwest where's it cold and dry right now and my lips get very chapped. I'd love to be able to put something on them so they don't hurt and crack.

Thanks so much!
Pre-Diagnosis: GERD, IBS, irregular menstruation, vitiligo, migraine, body pain, tingling in fingers, rhinitis, depression, night sweats, leg cramps, bruising, anemia, fatigue, mouth sores, hypoglycemia.
Positive IgG blood results for: Egg, Casein, Soy.
Positive EnteroLab IgA fecal results: anti-gliadin, anti-tissue Transglutaminase, anti-casein
Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,1 (Subtype 8,6)
Post-Testing: Free of gluten, dairy, soy, eggs, legumes and nightshade veggies. May 2012 Dx Premature Ovarian Failure.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lisa

Lisa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 12:56 PM

So I just realized that while the Burt's Bees lip balm I've been using for years is gluten free, it includes vitamin E derived from soy. I am intolerant of both gluten and soy and I have a couple of questions.

1. Should I discontinue use of products containing soy derivatives? (This includes hair and fact products too) I.E. vitamin E?
Some sites I've looked at say that soy oil/lecithin is safe for those with intolerances...I'm not so sure.

2. Is petroleum jelly (Vaseline) a safe alternative?

3. If vaseline is not okay...do you have any suggestions for gluten/soy free lip balm or chap-stick. I live in the Midwest where's it cold and dry right now and my lips get very chapped. I'd love to be able to put something on them so they don't hurt and crack.

Thanks so much!

Vaseline is gluten free. It is only petroleum jelly - nothing else. Chapstick is gluten free, but I'm not aware of a soy association.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#3 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 01:54 PM

I enjoy Badger Balm

http://www.badgerbal...alm-sticks.aspx