This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What A Let Down

jenngolightly

jenngolightly Contributor

Today was my appointment for getting skin prick tests to see what additional allergies I have in addition to gluten. I say allergy, because I get hives, swelling, itching, etc. in addition to gi distress and headaches (among other symptoms... you all understand).

So I went to the allergy clinic and went through the question/answer part, did the physical, and they put over 40 pricks on the inside of my arms. The nurse gave me strict orders telling me not to scratch. She said that the pricks would feel like mosquito bites if I was allergic. 1/2 hour later the doctor came to check on me and the whole test was thrown out. :-( I didn't even react to the control prick of pure histamine. They did the control prick twice just to make sure there wasn't something wrong with the first one they did. Nothing. No itching. No redness. Nothing.

They double checked the meds that I'm taking, grilled me on my use of antihistamines (I haven't taken any in months). The doc said he's only seen this happen in a few patients over the years. An anomaly. Something about my body producing its own antihistamines to fight allergens.

So after 3 hours of getting questioned, pricked, poked, and oohed at, they took some blood for a RAST test.

I'm so disappointed that I didn't come away with some answers.

Does anyone know anything about invalid prick tests or the RAST test?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mygfworld Apprentice

I've never understood why they do skin tests on some people and RAST tests on others. I've always had the skin tests. Others i know always have RAST from same allergist. Both are accurate. If anything, i think the RAST is more thorough and more sensitive. They should be able to look for more allergens through the blood test.

Sorry you didnt get any answers today. Good luck on the results.

amberlynn Contributor

Allergy testing is not always accurate. It really only gives the chance that a reaction may happen. There is a small amount of people that allergy testing does not work for at all (something like 5% of people). Skin prick testing is more accurate, but not the end all be all. For some, it works fantastically, for others, not so much. We have a 3 year old girl in our local allergy support group who tests negative on EVERY test - and yet is anaphylactic to dairy, chamomille, grass and more. The only true, definitive test is reaction. Her Mom has the same problem (not responding to any testing) - and lived with food allergies and their consequences for decades because the doctors said her tests were negative (it wasn't until she was nursing her daughter and had to go on an elimination diet that she figured it out - amazing how all those odd symptoms go away, lol).

For myself, I've never tested positive to anything either. It's rather frustrating because the doctors didn't believe me about my issues either. I had to take matters into my own hands.

I know how frustrating it is. But, it might be very likely that since you had zero reaction to the SPT, you may not get many answers from the RAST test either.

tarnalberry Community Regular

skin tests are notoriously unreliable for food allergy testing, and blood tests aren't a whole lot better (but somewhat). they are safer than the gold standard that an allergist will do - challenging with a food in office.

I have had three skin tests in my life, and haven't personally had the "lack of any reaction". It will certainly make testing harder. Good luck!

I've never understood why they do skin tests on some people and RAST tests on others. I've always had the skin tests. Others i know always have RAST from same allergist. Both are accurate. If anything, i think the RAST is more thorough and more sensitive. They should be able to look for more allergens through the blood test.

Sorry you didnt get any answers today. Good luck on the results.

Thanks for the support. I hate that I have to wait a few weeks for the results. I was so anxious to find out what was making me sick. The are doing a Comprehensive Food Allergy test and took 4 vials of blood. I don't know what that will test for, but I hope to get some answers.

For myself, I've never tested positive to anything either. It's rather frustrating because the doctors didn't believe me about my issues either. I had to take matters into my own hands.

I know how frustrating it is. But, it might be very likely that since you had zero reaction to the SPT, you may not get many answers from the RAST test either.

When the doctors grilled me about using antihistamines or anti-depressants I felt so defensive! I mean, I told them about EVERY illness and medication I'm taking so why would I lie about that, right? And I walked away wracking my brain about what I could have eaten that had benadryl in it. I was even doubting myself. :huh:

Just like you said, the doctor warned me that the RAST would likely come back negative. Weird. And disappointing.

The next step is an elimination diet. I was pretty sure it was going to come to that anyway. I don't know how that works, so I'll be doing more research this weekend.

Thanks for the help.

skin tests are notoriously unreliable for food allergy testing, and blood tests aren't a whole lot better (but somewhat). they are safer than the gold standard that an allergist will do - challenging with a food in office.

I have had three skin tests in my life, and haven't personally had the "lack of any reaction". It will certainly make testing harder. Good luck!

Thanks for the wish of luck. I know they aren't 100% accurate, but I was hoping for a ball field, you know? What's funny is that when I got home, my hands started itching and a rash broke out on my fingers. Figures - I'd have a reaction after I left the office.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

amberlynn Contributor

Thanks for the wish of luck. I know they aren't 100% accurate, but I was hoping for a ball field, you know? What's funny is that when I got home, my hands started itching and a rash broke out on my fingers. Figures - I'd have a reaction after I left the office.

I would call them and let them know that you did wind up with a rash. My friend's little boy had a similar problem, with 'cockroach' on the SPT. They had her measure the size of the rash and took that as a reaction.

passionfruit877 Apprentice

Today was my appointment for getting skin prick tests to see what additional allergies I have in addition to gluten. I say allergy, because I get hives, swelling, itching, etc. in addition to gi distress and headaches (among other symptoms... you all understand).

So I went to the allergy clinic and went through the question/answer part, did the physical, and they put over 40 pricks on the inside of my arms. The nurse gave me strict orders telling me not to scratch. She said that the pricks would feel like mosquito bites if I was allergic. 1/2 hour later the doctor came to check on me and the whole test was thrown out. :-( I didn't even react to the control prick of pure histamine. They did the control prick twice just to make sure there wasn't something wrong with the first one they did. Nothing. No itching. No redness. Nothing.

Does anyone know anything about invalid prick tests or the RAST test?

Wow, I had the exact opposite reaction, I reacted to every prick, even the prick of pure water. I was told they ha only seen this a few times and it was likely due to sensitive skin. They followed with a blood test that only tested for like 5 things, but I came out barely positive for eggs (which I read the main symptom is skin problems). I had gone in to check for a wheat allergy but it was negative. So I have decided I am gluten intolerant then.

Archived