This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Anyone In Mobile, Al Area?

cblack

cblack Apprentice

I recently moved to the Mobile, AL area and I'm in deseprate need of a doctor that is open minded and educated enough to test for celiac disease. I've had typical celiac symptoms over the last 12 years and have been diagnosed with IBS, depression, stress, possible food allergy, it's all in your head, etc., etc. Recent routine lab results showed that my liver enzymes are elevated for some reason, and in doing research of possible causes, celiac disease was listed. Upon researching celiac disease, I felt like the articles had been written about me! I am convinced that this may be the culprit of so many of my vague digestive problems over that last 12 years. But, I can't seem to find a doc in the area that takes me seriously. I came home very frustrated yesterday after seeing a gastroenterologist that within 10 minutes of meeting me told me that I did not have celiac disease because I didn't fit the profile. He was very rude and condescending and would not agree to run a celiac panel that I had requested. Please, if there are any celiacs in the Mobile, AL area, please let me know who you are seeing for a physician. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ilovebread Newbie

Have you had any luck finding a dr? i want to get tested but dont know where to start. A dermatologist took a culture of one of my "blisters" on my leg and said it was inconclusive, then said it was granuloma annulary and there is nothing you can do for it. The pics of DH look EXACTLY like what I have and it is not pretty. Do you go to gasto, internal medicine or allergist??

mham1126 Newbie

We have not had ANY luck with doctors in Mobile for our two young daughters. We have had to travel to Birmingham to have anyone take us seriously. Our 5yr old was vomiting at almost every meal, crying from stomach pain, stuggling with constipation one day and diarrhea the next; the baby refused to nurse from about 2 weeks old, cried all the time, had explosive diarrhea, and fell off the growth charts. We went to 3 different pediatric GIs in Mobile and Pensacola; everyone of them told us there was no problem.

I finally talked with a local GI (who, unfortunately, does not treat pediatric cases) who told me I really needed to take them to UAB. While we are still struggling for a "medical diagnosis" we've at least found a GI in Birmingham who is working with us to control their symptoms. The GI in Mobile that pointed me in the right direction was Dr. Benjamin Siegel. I taught his son last year, and always felt very welcome to call him with any questions. He's actually the one that suggested I look into celiac.

Hope you can find some help soon.

• 2 weeks later...
cblack Apprentice

We have not had ANY luck with doctors in Mobile for our two young daughters. We have had to travel to Birmingham to have anyone take us seriously. Our 5yr old was vomiting at almost every meal, crying from stomach pain, stuggling with constipation one day and diarrhea the next; the baby refused to nurse from about 2 weeks old, cried all the time, had explosive diarrhea, and fell off the growth charts. We went to 3 different pediatric GIs in Mobile and Pensacola; everyone of them told us there was no problem.

I finally talked with a local GI (who, unfortunately, does not treat pediatric cases) who told me I really needed to take them to UAB. While we are still struggling for a "medical diagnosis" we've at least found a GI in Birmingham who is working with us to control their symptoms. The GI in Mobile that pointed me in the right direction was Dr. Benjamin Siegel. I taught his son last year, and always felt very welcome to call him with any questions. He's actually the one that suggested I look into celiac.

Hope you can find some help soon.

Thank you for your post. I think I'm just going to head to B'ham, I have been given a couple of doc's names there (Shallcross and Halama) that are supposed to be very educated in celiac disease. Good luck to you with your children, I hope you find the solutions you need.

• 2 years later...
MelMelMel Newbie

I have had a terrible time locating a good GI doctor for my celiac disease in Mobile. I went to the head of the GI department from our local medical school and he was horrible. He was rude, had no interest in treating me, and told me that even though I definitely have celiac disease I should just keep eating gluten because I'm "still going to end up getting lymphoma one day." What a jerk!!! He was a accompanied by another younger GI doctor who told me to ignore his his boss's stupid recommendation (after he left the room). I went to another doctor at Providence Hospital who also had no clue how to treat celiac disease. It's been 4 years since I was diagnosed and I've had no follow up care to check on my progress. If anyone has any recommendations for doctors in southern Alabama, I'd greatly appreciate it!!

• 2 years later...
TheTaylors Newbie

I see that no one has posted here since 2012 but thought I would give it a shot. Any Celiacs in the Mobile Surrounding area that is interested in a Kids Support Group? I am thinking of starting one and was wondering if there was interest. I have an 8 yr old with Celiac Disease. I have signed up under ROCK (raising our celiac kids) to start a group. I tried a few years ago but there was no interest.

Archived