This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Snapple -i S It Safe?

baggotlane

baggotlane Rookie

After five weeks free of diarrhea since I began a tight gluten-free diet I have had a relapse. Diarrhea has come on again yesterday evening and today but the only things that have changed in the past 24 hours have been a few drinks of Snapple (lemonade) and Ocean Spray cranberry (lite). Normally, I do not touch either but in this warm weather on a hike today I needed some. I also paid a first visit to my local support group in the past 24 hours ago. I will inqire from them but they pay a lot of attention to ingredients. Is Snapple safe or is Ocean Spray OK. From the ingredients list I would say OK, but now I am unsure.

Any thoughts on this would be welcome.

Andrew

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

According to the updated Delphi list:

All Ocean Spray and Snapple products are gluten free :D Enjoy!

jknnej Collaborator

Could it possibly be the sugar or another ingredient that is bothering you?

Sometimes gluten-free things upset my tummy b/c of sugar. I don't know, though, if you drink those products regularly.

In any case, I hope you feel better!

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

How long have you been gluten free? And could there have been anything else that could have gotten in you? If you haven't been gluten free that long then your symptoms may not be gone yet and that is why. Were your symptoms better before drinking this? I would try keeping a food journal and see if anything you are eating may cause this. I know milk can be a problem at first for celiacs because of the damage done to the villi interfering with the digestion of milk.

baggotlane Rookie

Thanks for the seaparate answers :D

I had heard that Snapple and Ocean Spray were OK but I felt I had to confirm this.

I have been gluten-free for almost 6 weeks now without any diarrhea whereas I had diarrhea constantly beforehand. So, this was a major, and first, backward step.

I do not react to sugars , at least I don't think I do and sugars are a well controlled part of my diet (I am a lifelong Type1 diabetic). I have always taken them when needed and not seen reactions like this.

Going back over the past day I hate to say it but it looks a though my first attendance at a local Celiac support group (I won't give the name here as they have been helpful) was the most likely cause. Yes, there were cooked items but all were provided with the recipes and contents detailed. One item concerns me - coffee mate in coffee. I asked the people there if it was OK. They said 'yes', used it themselves although they had heard that in extremely rare cases some people showed allergic reactions.

That seems to be the leading suspect now since we have found Snapple and OceanSpray not guilty, so I'd appreciate your comments on the subject of milk substitutes in coffee. I'd also like to know why as little as 1 tsp. of the stuff is enough to trigger diarrhea that shows no signs of let-up 30 hours later. Is that normal?

Andrew

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

If you are having a gluten reaction, yes that is normal. When I get "glutened" I feel bad right away and then I'm sick for 2 weeks. So that is very much possible that you are still reacting.

Since you have been doing good until now I would definitely backtrack and see everything that could have got into your mouth and everything you ate.

Feel better soon :D

angel-jd1 Community Regular

when I called snapple a couple years ago (because I was loosing chunks hair and snapple was the only thing I hadn't checked) I was told that it contained gluten with the exception of some of their diet ones !!! You might want to take a few min. and call the company yourself to varify which info is correct. I would really hate to have someone getting sick.

-Jessica :rolleyes:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lovegrov Collaborator

Coffeemate is indeed gluten-free.

The Snapple information from two years ago is now old. We finally discovered that Snapple was saying those drinks had gluten because they had CORN gluten. All Sna[[les are gluten-free.

richard

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Andrew~

If you do not have the Delphi list you should definitely have that. It was updated in April and is 79 pages of alot of gluten free products that you would probably find extremely helpful.

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

By the way, I just got off the phone with Snapple just to make sure since there was a mix of info. All of their products are indeed gluten free.

baggotlane Rookie

Thanks KaitiUSA :)

With Snapple eliminated I have narrowed the only item that was different down to one - the dried powdered artificial milk used in coffee (Coffee Mate?). I never use it but was all they had at my local support group that day. Before using it I asked pointedly about its safety. They said they used it but had never seen anyone get a reaction. One person also heard of one individual who had shown some sensitivity. Well, I guess I probably belong to that hypersensitive group! There are sensitivities other than to gluten. I found difficulty with my stomach reacting (but no diarrhea) to corn tortillas. I stopped using them. My suspicions are that I still have others.

Andrew

angel-jd1 Community Regular

That's so awesome to know!!! I'm going to have a snapple TODAY!! woo hoo

-Jessica :rolleyes:

terri Contributor

I reacted to the Ocean Spray Cranberry Light and read that only the regular Ocean Spray Cranberry juice is gluten-free. You might want to narrow it down to that. And, you should probably call them. Ingredients change. I haven't tried it again and it's been a year so maybe it's okay now. It wasn't a year ago.

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Verified by phone 2/10/05-all ocean spray products are gluten free

From updated delphi list.

Guest nini

is coffee mate Dairy??? or does it have corn? You may be having a reaction to either of those or something else entirely. I hope you figure it out and I hope you feel better.

Archived