This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free And Dairy Free?

vintagegyrl

vintagegyrl Rookie

I just recently went gluten-free due to enterolab results. I know for sure one of my children needs gluten-free and the other 2 react to dairy, but not sure about vice-versa yet.

Does anyone eat dairy free and gluten-free? do you cut out everything that has a bit of milk or just main ingredient of milk?

;) Or did u find that gluten-free helped the dairy issue and now u can eat it?

THANKS!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CMCM Rising Star

I just recently went gluten-free due to enterolab results. I know for sure one of my children needs gluten-free and the other 2 react to dairy, but not sure about vice-versa yet.

Does anyone eat dairy free and gluten-free? do you cut out everything that has a bit of milk or just main ingredient of milk?

;) Or did u find that gluten-free helped the dairy issue and now u can eat it?

THANKS!

I spent my entire life thinking I was unable to handle dairy, didn't suspect gluten even though my mom has celiac disease. Doctors always made it seem so unlikely that I would have celac too, especially since I didn't react in the severe way she did. And we always thought my issue was dairy.

When I finally got tested and realized I had severe gluten problems if not also celiac disease, I went gluten free. I had Enterolab test casein too, and they said I was sensitive to it and to avoid it completely. So I did that for 6 or 7 months. I actually found it harder to avoid dairy than gluten! Anyhow, after that time away from dairy, I put a little bit of dairy back into my diet to test the waters and found I actually COULD handle modest amounts of dairy. So now I do have it, but I really limit it. As a minor ingredient in things, it doesn't bother me. A small bit of half and half in coffee doesn't bother me. A bit of cheese here and there is fine. But as I said, I'm careful, and I seem to do OK with it on that basis. A bowl of ice cream, for example, also yogurt, that's too much and I'll have problems with that amount.

AKcollegestudent Apprentice

There are a ton of threads on the subject of eating dairy free (also known as casein free) and gluten free--you might want to do a quick search.

But for me personally, going gluten free actually acerbated my issues with dairy. I went from no obvious issues (though I did, looking back, have symptoms) to breaking out in hives. And while you're healing from gluten, many go off of dairy for a while before adding it back in anyway.

I don't cook with any form of dairy--not butter, not milk, not cheese. Some on the board use ghee (clarified butter), but I've been leery about trying it, even if I can find it. I tried goat's cheese, since it looked like my issue was primarily cow based, but continued to have issues. (Though not hives.)

Karina's site, glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com, has dairy free and gluten free recipes (most are also egg free).

Hopefully, that helps.

tarnalberry Community Regular

Lots of us are dairy free.

How dairy free you are depends on what your problem is. If you're lactose intolerant (common in the early stages of healing, before the villi have recovered), then it's avoiding milk, and/or taking a lactase enzyme when you have dairy. If you're casein intolerant, degrees of intolerance vary. Some people avoid any dairy strictly. I personally don't worry about something like butterfat in some chocolates or small amounts of butter in a recipe.

Lgood22573 Rookie

I am gluten free and dairy free (I'm intolerant to Casein). I found it much easier to give up the gluten than the dairy. How I love a chunk of cheese! All my recipes and casseroles I've been cooking for 20 years have dairy. It's not easy. I'm trying to find some good recipes for both and it's not easy. I cut out absolutely everything with any milk in it. I can tell if I ingest the tiniest bit of milk. I use Almond milk in my coffee, cereal, and when I was a "milk" taste. For cheese- I'm just bummed. All dairy free cheese that I've seen has Casein in it- even the soy cheese. Like I said- I just want some cheese! lol Good luck.

AKcollegestudent Apprentice

I am gluten free and dairy free (I'm intolerant to Casein). I found it much easier to give up the gluten than the dairy. How I love a chunk of cheese! All my recipes and casseroles I've been cooking for 20 years have dairy. It's not easy. I'm trying to find some good recipes for both and it's not easy. I cut out absolutely everything with any milk in it. I can tell if I ingest the tiniest bit of milk. I use Almond milk in my coffee, cereal, and when I was a "milk" taste. For cheese- I'm just bummed. All dairy free cheese that I've seen has Casein in it- even the soy cheese. Like I said- I just want some cheese! lol Good luck.

There are a couple of totally vegan cheeses, especially on the soy side of the equation. (Finding a decent rice cheese is one of those things I gave up on.) If I remember correctly, Galaxy was decent, though it's soy based. I can't eat it because of soy issues. Follow Your Heart's Vegan Gourmet cheeses (also soy) appear to be decent. And they too have no casein in them. The trick with finding truly dairy free cheeses is to look for vegan cheese.

And Turtle Mountain (Purely Decadent) has some awesome dairy-free, gluten-free ice creams. So does Good Karma (and theirs is soy free consistently, so I can eat them.)

vintagegyrl Rookie

Lots of us are dairy free.

How dairy free you are depends on what your problem is. If you're lactose intolerant (common in the early stages of healing, before the villi have recovered), then it's avoiding milk, and/or taking a lactase enzyme when you have dairy. If you're casein intolerant, degrees of intolerance vary. Some people avoid any dairy strictly. I personally don't worry about something like butterfat in some chocolates or small amounts of butter in a recipe.

I don't know which DD and DS are. How Do i find out? All I know is they have stool issues when consuming milk products like milk or ice cream. We let them have milkshakes, just to see and the problems came back. It took about a week to clear up in DD. I guess i just need to try different things. How do you differentiate between casein & lactose items?

I will check out the threads, thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Kanney Newbie

I am dairy free and Gluten free. The Dairy issues didn't show up until I went gluten free. I don't know if I have issues with casein or lactose or both. I avoid all dairy. I have however discovered I can tolerate Goat cheese and sheep's milk cheese. A total blessing because I LOVE cheese and none of the soy or rice based cheese I could find worked for me. And I agree going diary free was way harder than being gluten free!

GFinDC Veteran

I don't know which DD and DS are. How Do i find out? All I know is they have stool issues when consuming milk products like milk or ice cream. We let them have milkshakes, just to see and the problems came back. It took about a week to clear up in DD. I guess i just need to try different things. How do you differentiate between casein & lactose items?

I will check out the threads, thanks!

If it is lactose intolerance you can give them Lactaid brand lactase pills when they eat dairy. Watch out for generic alternatives because some of them have gluten. Or give them Lactaid milk to drink. If they are ok then it is a lactose problem. If they still have issues it is more likely to be a casein problem. You can also take them to the doctor for a hydrogen breath test (for lactose intolerance). But that is more expensive and doesn't tell you any more. Another thing is hard cheeses are mostly lactose free. So if they can eat them ok that is another indicator it is probably a lactose problem.

Of course there is no reason they can't have both a casein and a lactose problem too.

Archived