This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Potato Chips

BackTalk

BackTalk Rookie

I just can't seem to find yes or no. I eat bags full of Lays BBQ flavor chips. I can't tell one way or the other from the Lays site if they have gluten in them. Most all the other flavors say they don't but nothing clear at least to me on the BBQ flavor. Can you help me out please?

Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lovegrov Collaborator

If you're talking about the regular Lay's BBQ chips, the ingredients clearly list "barley malt flour" and their website does NOT list them as gluten-free. They are not gluten-free.

richard

GarAndTeed Rookie

If you're talking about the regular Lay's BBQ chips, the ingredients clearly list "barley malt flour" and their website does NOT list them as gluten-free. They are not gluten-free.

richard

Hi All,

I buy Kettle Chips; the label specifically says gluten-free. The BBQ chips are great; actually, so are the other flavors. Not really much more pricey than Lays, either.

Thanks!smile.gif

Brien Rookie

I'll second Kettle - and besides, they are the BEST chips I've ever had. I used to love Lays but these are so much better.., to me anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
dube Contributor

I got a gluten free list....

www.fritolay.com/products-not-containing-cluten.html

Alot of lays are gluten-free, but not barbaque. Check out the list, it has lays, ruffles, tostitos, cheetos and doritos lited!

missy'smom Collaborator

Please always read the label and double check but I believe that all flavors of Lays STAXX are gluten-free and made on dedicated gluten-free lines.

larry mac Enthusiast

I just can't seem to find yes or no. I eat bags full of Lays BBQ flavor chips. I can't tell one way or the other from the Lays site if they have gluten in them. Most all the other flavors say they don't but nothing clear at least to me on the BBQ flavor. Can you help me out please?

Thanks

BT,

You don't say if you have Celiac Disease or not. If you don't, you can probably get by eating this product. The ingredients label clearly lists "natural Flavors (including barley malt)". However, the amount is probably very small. You may not notice any reaction from such a small amount if you are not real sensitive to gluten.

For those with Celiac Disease however, probably best to stay away from eating bags full of Lay's BBQ flavor potato chips. We cannot safely ingest wheat, barley, or rye.

best regards, lm

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ItsaDollThang Rookie

Does anyone know if regular Nacho Cheese Doritos and Chili Cheese Frito's are okay? The hot versions are on this list but I can't find the regular versions for all of them.

I hope so. Doritos are a major urge thing for me at period time. Rest of the month I leave them alone but when I'm mega crampy and I need me some salty cheesy crunchies I usually will splurge and buy a dollar bag of one of these.

I tried the natural Kettle chips this month? They're supposedly gluten free but made me very sick so they are not a very good Lays substitute for me. The "all natural" baked cheese curls I tried just plain sucked they were so bad. I will never do "baked" anything like that ever again. They may be healthier but they sure tasted like cheese flavored cardboard!

Not worth the splurge.

When it comes to chips I still much prefer Wise or Lays. Wise chips don't seem to be gluten free from what I can tell. I wish they were. I love their onion and garlic chips madly, used to eat a whole bag of them at period time. I'm not sure if it's gluten or the onion and garlic but something about them gives me a stomach ache now so I've given up on them pretty much.

Ditto the Maui onion kettle ones from Target which I used to buy sometimes as a substitute for those. I don't see any gluten ingredients listed on those but they must be cross-contaminated or something because some of those chips they make used to not make me sick and now they all do even the ones without the damning ingredients!

I'm getting tired of the odd handful of all natural blue corn chips and salsa.

I want me some Nacho Cheese Doritos!

kareng Grand Master

Does anyone know if regular Nacho Cheese Doritos and Chili Cheese Frito's are okay? The hot versions are on this list but I can't find the regular versions for all of them.

Look on thier website or the back of the package. They say in big letters wheat. However, most flavors seem OK so maybe you can look at the gluten-free list & try some other flavors. I was surprised when I checked just now, howmany flavors are OK. I love chips! I had thought that most flavors are off limits. thanks for making me look! My thighs don't thank you.

ciavyn Contributor

Ah, yes, made the Doritos mistake 3 1/2 weeks ago -- took me this long paying for it for my body to heal. Ugh. Avoid the Nacho doritos!! They have many other flavors you can have, though, and some cheetos are gluten-free too.

• 1 month later...
Nor-TX Enthusiast

The kettle chips are absolutely yummy and totally gluten free. The flavor that I love - Honey Dijon is also Parve... meaning it has not lactose or casein. I did find though that on Friday night when my DH and I shared an entire bag... it gave me heartburn but it was still delicious.

macocha Contributor

kettle came out with a new flavor... loaded baked potato! YUM!

with the other chips, lays, ruffles, you have to worry a bout cross contamination and your sensitivity. those aren't on a dedicated gluten-free line. the staxx are though.

isn't cool ranch doritos gluten-free? I believe that was one flavor that was okay.

ciavyn Contributor

with the other chips, lays, ruffles, you have to worry a bout cross contamination and your sensitivity. those aren't on a dedicated gluten-free line. the staxx are though.

isn't cool ranch doritos gluten-free? I believe that was one flavor that was okay.

Yes, many of the doritos flavors are gluten free, but NOT the original nacho flavor. :( I question if they are made on dedicated lines, so you may risk CC. But I've not had a problem with anything EXCEPT the nacho doritos. :)

kareng Grand Master

They sound amazing! I never thought that when I went gluten-free, I could still eat so much junk food. AGGHHH....my thighs!

Nor-TX Enthusiast

For those who need gluten free and dairy free, try a bag of Chester's Snacks - Butter Flavored Puffcorn by Cheetos. They are gluten free, casein free, lactose free and onion free. I must let you know though, eating a full bag will still give you some powerful heartburn!

Archived