Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Glutened Agin

8 posts in this topic

Remember that poster back in the 70's (those of you who are old enough) of the guy with his head melting onto the table, titled "Stoned Agin"? Well, I'm glutened agin. Don't know what happened, been eating exactly the same foods I've been eating. But last night, whamm-o! Still suffering the consequences today.

Drat.

The only thing I can come up with is CC in the kitchen. My DH is a gluten eater (glutenator? sounds like Terminator!) so maybe I picked up a crumb somewhere. I've been symptom-free for weeks now, so this is really discouraging, especially since I don't know how it happened.

For those of you with glutenators in your household, do you get glutened regularly? I mean... how careful do you have to be NOT to get cc'd? I have my own knives, cutting board, toaster, cooking utensils, etc. We do share plates and silverware, but I wash everything very carefully. I always clean the countertops and go through a roll of paper towels every 3 days. Well, that's a bit of an exaggeration, but I use them a LOT. I have my own shelf in the pantry and my own shelf in the fridge, above any of the poisonous gluten products.

What am I missing?

Ads by Google:

Have you been making out while he eats toast?

My girlfriend went gluten-free for me, bless her heart, and even chose to give up her favorite body lotion because it had wheat.

Contamination is the hardest part of being gluten-free, because it's so hard to control and you often don't know you messed up until after you get sick.

Remember that poster back in the 70's (those of you who are old enough) of the guy with his head melting onto the table, titled "Stoned Agin"? Well, I'm glutened agin. Don't know what happened, been eating exactly the same foods I've been eating. But last night, whamm-o! Still suffering the consequences today.

Drat.

The only thing I can come up with is CC in the kitchen. My DH is a gluten eater (glutenator? sounds like Terminator!) so maybe I picked up a crumb somewhere. I've been symptom-free for weeks now, so this is really discouraging, especially since I don't know how it happened.

For those of you with glutenators in your household, do you get glutened regularly? I mean... how careful do you have to be NOT to get cc'd? I have my own knives, cutting board, toaster, cooking utensils, etc. We do share plates and silverware, but I wash everything very carefully. I always clean the countertops and go through a roll of paper towels every 3 days. Well, that's a bit of an exaggeration, but I use them a LOT. I have my own shelf in the pantry and my own shelf in the fridge, above any of the poisonous gluten products.

What am I missing?

oh i know. it has been over a month for me and then i somehow ate something a couple of days ago because i am miserable. i just want to cleanse my system. i don't know if someone didn't clean something properly or what. i'm the only one gluten free but i'm afraid the husband or boys might have not been as careful as i would be cleaning up. i absolutely feel miserable and don't know how to make it better fast enough. i'm drinking lots of water but are you or is it possible to eat or do something to cleanse the system faster??

Drat.

What am I missing?

Is DH brushing his teeth, mouthwash, etc. before kissing you after performing as THE GLUTENATOR?

Is DH brushing his teeth, mouthwash, etc. before kissing you after performing as THE GLUTENATOR?

Good thought but.... yes, he is.

Performing as the glutenator.... I'm getting mental pictures... :D

Performing is such a loaded word in this instance. You are cracking me up! :lol::lol:

Performing is such a loaded word in this instance. You are cracking me up! :lol::lol:

Always happy to provide giggles.

Drat.

What am I missing?

My husband is not totally gluten-free but it has only caused one gluten hit for me in 5 years and it was my fault...forgot to wash my hands after making him a sandwich. The only dedicated appliance I have is the toaster. We share everything except the few cooking utensils, which are the wooden ones, he uses for his occasional pot of spaghetti. I have Le Creuset cookware, which is enamel coated, so there is no problem with CC there unless someone doesn't wash it correctly. That never happens...my husband is awesome with his knowledge of CC. If you wash everything well, there should be no issue with CC.

I am as sensitive as a Celiac comes and this is not a problem for us at all. All foods are stored in glass containers in the fridge and I do not have a dedicated shelf for myself...no need to. I think because we have no kids, it makes this so much easier. The only things which are separate, as far as food is concerned, are peanut butter, jams or anything dipped into in a jar. I am totally asymptomatic and every blood test I have had repeated comes back with really, really low numbers so I am comfortable with this routine.

I don't think you can expect to live out the rest of your life with no gluten incidents. I have only had a few in the past 5 years and don't sweat it.

It won't impede your recovery. I hate being sick and feel awful if it happens but, compared to what things were like pre-gluten-free, I can handle 2-3 days of feeling bad. Don't drive yourself batty trying to figure it out...unless it happens again soon and then it may be easier to retrace your steps and figure it out.