This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Is It Weird That I Think I Only Want To Date Gluten-Free Men?

detritus

Bobbijo6681 Apprentice

There are good "gluten" eaters out there...you just gotta find one. I just started seeing a guy that is soooo understanding about my diet. Always asks if I can have this or that, and will only go to restaurants that I can eat something easily. I haven't been diagnosed long, and have only been seeing him for a couple weeks, so the nice guy routine MAY wear off, but I am certainly hoping not. Only thing I can say is time will tell!

Good luck, and keep the laughs coming...LOL!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
psawyer Proficient

Maybe a job in a GI office? Would meet lots of guys with gut issues. Maybe Celiac.com could start a dating/matchmaking forum. :P

oops! I thought that was what this is :blink:

It is, although not everyone wanting to meet fellow celiacs here is looking for a date. Whatever floats your boat works here. :rolleyes:

David in Seattle Explorer

Ha ha, unfortunately I just moved to LA after 20 years of living in NY:)

And there's no point living in the past. Ever been to Seattle? :D

detritus Apprentice

And there's no point living in the past. Ever been to Seattle? :D

Not yet......:rolleyes:

Rachel W Apprentice

THIS thread made my night- too funny ! lol

Not yet......:rolleyes:

Well you know, Detritus (such an unfortunate name, may I call you "D"?), if the richest man in the world lives here (sadly, it's not ME ;-), it must have something to offer :lol:

On the other hand, I've spent quite a lot of time in LA. What part of the city do you live in?

ellie10 Newbie

Maybe a job in a GI office? Would meet lots of guys with gut issues. Maybe Celiac.com could start a dating/matchmaking forum. :P

That is a GREAT idea (the Celiac.com matchmaking forum)! Just in case some of you didn't see it already there is one gluten free site I found, but it did not have more than 3 men in my search LOL: Open Original Shared Link

I found it when I did a search for 'gluten free dating' - yeah, I know, I am weird:) Anyway, if all of us signed up maybe I would have more than 2 or 3 guys to choose from...

I do wish Celiac.com would consider a dating sister site. I would love to find a guy who I could live this lifestyle with without all the hassle. Still, as one poster said, there are many gluten-consuming guys out there that can be very understanding too.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

detritus Apprentice

Well you know, Detritus (such an unfortunate name, may I call you "D"?), if the richest man in the world lives here (sadly, it's not ME ;-), it must have something to offer :lol:

On the other hand, I've spent quite a lot of time in LA. What part of the city do you live in?

You can call me "D", or Megan if you prefer:) I hear it is a beautiful city. I live in Santa Monica, and it is very lovely here,too.

You can call me "D", or Megan if you prefer:) I hear it is a beautiful city. I live in Santa Monica, and it is very lovely here,too.

Megan - Seattle is an area of great natural beauty. Water, mountains, forests, as well as a very cosmopolitan city. Terrific ethnic diversity, which I love, especially for the food. Not that I've been able to indulge in much of THAT, lately... :angry: Also some pretty decent small theater, which I like, though not nearly as much as in LA, with all those marginally employed actors running around.

I'd say Santa Monica is just about the prettiest part of LA. And it's generally a few degrees cooler than areas to the east, which suits my taste. And of course, great food! Have you ever been to Jiraffe, on Santa Monica Blvd? Or Melisse, over on Wilshire? I'm especially a fan of sushi (sometimes wonder if my current gut issues might not be a weird bug I picked up in some sashimi... :unsure: One interesting sushi place is Open Original Shared Link at the Santa Monica airport. I don't generally give a rodent's rump about celebrities, but at the sushi bar there once I do recall sitting next to Harrison Ford and that skinny chick who was on some show, "Alley Mcbeal", I think it was. What's her name? Odd, I can recall the name of a program I don't think I ever actually saw, but not the PERSON. Hmmmm...

detritus Apprentice

Megan - Seattle is an area of great natural beauty. Water, mountains, forests, as well as a very cosmopolitan city. Terrific ethnic diversity, which I love, especially for the food. Not that I've been able to indulge in much of THAT, lately... :angry: Also some pretty decent small theater, which I like, though not nearly as much as in LA, with all those marginally employed actors running around.

I'd say Santa Monica is just about the prettiest part of LA. And it's generally a few degrees cooler than areas to the east, which suits my taste. And of course, great food! Have you ever been to Jiraffe, on Santa Monica Blvd? Or Melisse, over on Wilshire? I'm especially a fan of sushi (sometimes wonder if my current gut issues might not be a weird bug I picked up in some sashimi... :unsure: One interesting sushi place is Open Original Shared Link at the Santa Monica airport. I don't generally give a rodent's rump about celebrities, but at the sushi bar there once I do recall sitting next to Harrison Ford and that skinny chick who was on some show, "Alley Mcbeal", I think it was. What's her name? Odd, I can recall the name of a program I don't think I ever actually saw, but not the PERSON. Hmmmm...

Calista Flockhart. I was the costume designer for her first film as a main character. It was low budget, so I put her in all of my own clothes. I had to take them up a bit, because she's a little shorter than me, but we're both skinny...hmmmm...wonder if she has Celiac'sblink.gif

I love Jiraffe-it's right around the corner from my work. I think it's going to be a long time before I go to any restaurants, though. That was one of my favorite things to do, before I found out. I've been to wonderful restaurants all over europe and new york. I loved doing the chef's tasting menu; just putting myself in his hands for the night.

No moresad.gif

Fortunately I love to cook, so this isn't quite as hard on me as it might be on people who don't. And I'm exploring the cooking of cultures that don't eat a lot of wheat. Right now I'm making a lot of Persian food, since it has simple ingredients and lots of rice. One door closes, another opens......

Calista Flockhart. I was the costume designer for her first film as a main character. It was low budget, so I put her in all of my own clothes. I had to take them up a bit, because she's a little shorter than me, but we're both skinny...hmmmm...wonder if she has Celiac'sblink.gif

I love Jiraffe-it's right around the corner from my work. I think it's going to be a long time before I go to any restaurants, though. That was one of my favorite things to do, before I found out. I've been to wonderful restaurants all over europe and new york. I loved doing the chef's tasting menu; just putting myself in his hands for the night.

No moresad.gif

Fortunately I love to cook, so this isn't quite as hard on me as it might be on people who don't. And I'm exploring the cooking of cultures that don't eat a lot of wheat. Right now I'm making a lot of Persian food, since it has simple ingredients and lots of rice. One door closes, another opens......

Megan - Your memories of tasting menus makes me want to cry! I've also enjoyed the experience at some very nice restaurants, such as Jean Georges and Le Bernardin in New York. I used to live in central Ohio, and would frequently fly to New York City for "culture fixes". The most interesting place I found in the city for prix fixe dining of that sort was probably James Beard House down on West 12th in the Village. They bring in guest chefs from around the world and present a tasting menu with wine pairings. There's a very nice place in Seattle called Harvest Vine, sort of a small farm, which also does a good presentation. I haven't eaten out in nearly a year now, god I miss it! :( I worked as an apprentice chef in my early 20's (couldn't stand the heat, so I got out of the kitchen :rolleyes: ) and I still enjoy cooking, but the no-gluten thing is a challenge. Plus I've recently eliminated dairy, too. I've also been using a lot of rice lately, and a LOT of chicken & white fish.

Costume design? How interesting. It must be great to make a living doing something so creative. I've always had an interest in decorative arts, and have often thought when watching a play that set design would be fun. In the last year, I had been working on designing and building handmade furniture in a wood shop I finally had the space & resources to construct. Seattle has a number of galleries which specialize in such one-off pieces by local artisans. Unfortunately, my recent health troubles (and other "life events") have put that on hold for the time being.

I wonder if you're on Facebook. I have a page there with some pictures of furniture I've built. There's also a collection of black and white photographs I took in NYC a few years back which you might find interesting. At the time, I had a small darkroom & did all my own processing. I'd like to hear your "creative opinion". PM me if you're interested & I'll give you my full name so you can "friend" me on there and take a look.

David

afreeclimber74 Rookie

Couples that share diarrhea together stay together.

Wolicki Enthusiast

Classic. I, too, love this thread!

WheatChef Apprentice

I would probably not recommend this as the official slogan for a gluten-free-dating site.

I thought about this all last time I was at Whole Foods in the gluten-free isle, tried chatting it up with a girl I thought would also be gluten-free, turns out she was just slightly lost...

detritus Apprentice

I would probably not recommend this as the official slogan for a gluten-free-dating site.

I thought about this all last time I was at Whole Foods in the gluten-free isle, tried chatting it up with a girl I thought would also be gluten-free, turns out she was just slightly lost...

Maybe you could have "turned" herrolleyes.gif

sandsurfgirl Collaborator

I just spit my gluten free pasta out when I read that! That is HILARIOUS!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: :lol

sandsurfgirl Collaborator

My neighbor and I were talking about this and she brought up an interesting point. If you marry another celiac and have kids, the likelihood of them being celiac is going to jump really high.

I personally am glad my husband isn't celiac. I think in some ways it would be harder especially if we both got glutened at the same time from eating out for instance. Not ever eating out again is not an option for me.

virginiabeach Rookie

One note about the 1 in 5000 diagnosed... I was put on an elimination diet in 1994, and wheat and it's relatives were determined to be my personal problem, (at the time, just a sip of good beer would puff me up like a balloon & send me to the bathroom for an hour or so). I tried once to get the official diagnosis, years ago. I was supposed to eat 3 servings of wheat a day for 3 months, before I could be tested. I lasted a month. It was miserable. Others I know have also been told by their doctors to just go ahead and follow the diet to see if it helped their symptoms. Oh, and I'm finally divorcing the jerk for whom love just doesn't ask so much as to make his own pb& j.

It would be a very special man who could convince me that his wheat food wouldn't contaminate my kitchen.

• 2 weeks later...
srsssss Newbie

HAHAHAH

I kissed a guy that had drank a few beers and it made me sick!

My Dad has celiac (for 20 yrs) and my mom just doesn't eat gluten because it's easier...turns out her side of the family has it too and she probably has it. 2 of my 3 sisters just found out they have it. I think my brother in laws probably aren't eating gluten like before knowing my sisters LMAO!

You'd want to rotate them in. And be sure to keep a careful journal of your reactions.

• 2 weeks later...
MerrySea Newbie

Hi, I'm about two weeks into being gluten free. I've tossed everything around me that contains gluten, including my favorite lipstick. Now I feel somewhat safe, and I think I'm reluctant to risk exposure to gluten by dating someone who eats it. Is that terrible of me? I also don't know if it would be hard for someone who isn't celiac to understand what I go through. How do all you celiac singletons out there navigate the gluten-ated dating world?

Sure it might be a lot easier when eating together - I am living down under and there is a serious man drought- Honey we are happy if there are Available men around- let alone Celiac men. The ratio is 4 women to 1 man!!!

MerrySea Newbie

Ha ha that is funny

detritus Apprentice

Sure it might be a lot easier when eating together - I am living down under and there is a serious man drought- Honey we are happy if there are Available men around- let alone Celiac men. The ratio is 4 women to 1 man!!!

Yikes! Sounds like how it is in New York, only there it's 4 women to every 1 commitment-phobic man :D

kareng Grand Master

My neighbor and I were talking about this and she brought up an interesting point. If you marry another celiac and have kids, the likelihood of them being celiac is going to jump really high.

I personally am glad my husband isn't celiac. I think in some ways it would be harder especially if we both got glutened at the same time from eating out for instance. Not ever eating out again is not an option for me.

But if we made lots of Celiac babies, we could take over the world. Wouldn't have to worry about gluten if we are the majority. Bah HA HA!! (sinister laugh)

detritus Apprentice

But if we made lots of Celiac babies, we could take over the world. Wouldn't have to worry about gluten if we are the majority. Bah HA HA!! (sinister laugh)

I've had daydreams about a gluten-free town-can you imagine it?!!!!!

Even in places like Sydney? Where'd I put that Frequent Flier number... :rolleyes:

Archived