This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Is It Weird That I Think I Only Want To Date Gluten-Free Men?

detritus

kareng Grand Master

I've had daydreams about a gluten-free town-can you imagine it?!!!!!

Would be lovely. Restuarants, bakeries, bars, pizza delivery we could go to & not ask a flourful question. So relaxing. Of course the homes would be nicer, the public art artier, the pets friendlier, the birds more colorful. Alright you fertile ones, get going!

Even in places like Sydney? Where'd I put that Frequent Flier number... :rolleyes:

You can't go there. We need you in our gluten-free city. What shall we name it? Sprue Town doesn't cut it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
detritus Apprentice

Would be lovely. Restuarants, bakeries, bars, pizza delivery we could go to & not ask a flourful question. So relaxing. Of course the homes would be nicer, the public art artier, the pets friendlier, the birds more colorful. Alright you fertile ones, get going!

You can't go there. We need you in our gluten-free city. What shall we name it? Sprue Town doesn't cut it.

Hmmm...Wheatless,Wisconsin? Flourfree, Florida? Deglutened, Delaware?

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

Hmmm...Wheatless,Wisconsin? Flourfree, Florida? Deglutened, Delaware?

That's easy. Port-A-Potty City, PA!

Janet Chu Newbie

Yikes! Sounds like how it is in New York, only there it's 4 women to every 1 commitment-phobic man :D

Commitment-phobic men! LOL. I have a number of very good women friends who say Boston is like that. Not sure it's the city though, at least one of them has had the same trouble over a good bit of the USA! My husband and I always observe that mostly, these women seem to gravitate to the same types of guys, ones you might guess just by looking aren't going to be very "serious" :D We keep telling them to broaden their perspective to men with more depth, but they just can't seem to do it, poor things! :rolleyes:

Good luck in New York!

Janet

Janet Chu Newbie

That's easy. Port-A-Potty City, PA!

Glutenless Gloucester!

kareng Grand Master

What about Naturally gluten-free Napa? I like Napa & wine is naturally gluten-free. Maybe we could take over the area for our city. With California's financial woes, we might be able to get it cheap.

Shell156 Apprentice

LOL, I've fantasized about a gluten free city too! And I am really enjoying this post because it's particularly relevant to me. I just ended a 3 and a half year relationship, and dating for the first time with celiac... well, it's an experience :rolleyes:

I would love to date someone gluten free, but I've never met anyone. My ex was really really good. Washed his hands after he ate wheat, never brought it into the house, brushed his teeth and washed his face and waited before he kissed me. He wasn't perfect though, to get him there it took some fights and um, "training" ;)

Anyway the dating scene is weird. I learned if you meet someone and they don't take your allergy seriously they are probably not the best person to date. Also, the first time I met someone I wanted to kiss, I didn't tell him about my allergy until he leaned into kiss me after just having a gulp of beer! I sidestepped but I felt bad. Sooo now I tell them earlier.

This was also helpful to me after my experience:

Open Original Shared Link

I also think that since wheat products are so crumbly that they should wash their faces too. But I am super super sensitive, so it might be okay for you. I just wanted to say that it is possible to date gluten eaters!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

detritus Apprentice

LOL, I've fantasized about a gluten free city too! And I am really enjoying this post because it's particularly relevant to me. I just ended a 3 and a half year relationship, and dating for the first time with celiac... well, it's an experience :rolleyes:

I would love to date someone gluten free, but I've never met anyone. My ex was really really good. Washed his hands after he ate wheat, never brought it into the house, brushed his teeth and washed his face and waited before he kissed me. He wasn't perfect though, to get him there it took some fights and um, "training" ;)

Anyway the dating scene is weird. I learned if you meet someone and they don't take your allergy seriously they are probably not the best person to date. Also, the first time I met someone I wanted to kiss, I didn't tell him about my allergy until he leaned into kiss me after just having a gulp of beer! I sidestepped but I felt bad. Sooo now I tell them earlier.

This was also helpful to me after my experience:

Open Original Shared Link

I also think that since wheat products are so crumbly that they should wash their faces too. But I am super super sensitive, so it might be okay for you. I just wanted to say that it is possible to date gluten eaters!

That's a great link! My friend was rolling her eyes at me when I told her that kissing gluten-eaters was dangerous for me, and now I have something to send her;)

I also like the idea that the way in which someone responds to the kissing info is a litmus test for how they will treat one in a relationship.

ianm Apprentice

Sure it might be a lot easier when eating together - I am living down under and there is a serious man drought- Honey we are happy if there are Available men around- let alone Celiac men. The ratio is 4 women to 1 man!!!

Cool! I just renewed my passport so Down Under here I come! :)

• 1 month later...
RoseTapper Newbie

I soooo agree with Megan on this! I've decided that my next mate will definitely have celiac--it's too complicated otherwise.

As for where to meet these people, celiac conferences are a good place to start. David, did you attend the GIG conference in Seattle last year? Lots of single folks! I met someone there who set my heart on fire...but I was so engaged in conversation with him and staring into his eyes, I never looked at his name badge. Hopefully, he'll be attending the GIG conference in Minneapolis next month.

Want to know an interesting tidbit? At last year's conference, the principal speaker (Dr. Peter Green) shared the results of an Italian study that showed that people with celiac look different from other people. No, not weird looking! The growth plates in our faces don't "set" until we're in our mid-twenties. As a result, many of us have either wide foreheads, prominent cheekbones, or square jaws. What's also interesting is that studies have shown that we tend to be immediately attracted to people who mirror our own looks. Hmmmm....could this be why so many celiacs end up being married to people who also get diagnosed with the condition? When we heard this information at the conference, the guy I'd fallen for turned to me and studied my face. We both then laughed at the hilarity--yeah, our faces mirrored one another.

As for a gluten-free city, the next best thing is Disneyland (or Disney World). You can eat just about anything you want there, prepared perfectly gluten free (hot dogs, pizza, pasta dishes, etc.). I wanted to just move in and never leave! It felt just like a gluten-free city--amazing!

RoseTapper Newbie

Forgot to ask--any tall guys with celiac out there who live in the S.F. Bay Area?

dmetria Newbie

Here's the kicker for me... While I was undiagnosed, I didn't FEEL like dating. Now I'm feeling better (and a few other significant life changes have occured) and I am hopeful there is someone out there for me (again). I can certainly understand the desire to find someone who understands/lives gluten-free. I get enough of little sickness days, I don't want to wonder if it was because I kissed "him" goodnight! lol

• 1 month later...
torimuse Rookie

This thread totally made my night. I would love a gluten free city. :)

• 2 months later...
Krystyn41 Newbie

Very interesting thread! I can say that this happened to me! My husband and I were married for 15 years and only after we divorced did I begin attempting to go "gluten-free". I saw the symptoms in all of my children (3 boys) but especially in 1 of them. Finally tested the most affected and he showed 2 genes for the disease, one on my side and one on my ex's side. So, you see I did marry a Celiac unknowingly but divorced him before I knew or he knew. It is sad. It is one of the many things I didn't know about him.

Archived