9 replies to this topic

#1 lcharp

lcharp

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 08:10 PM

I was recently told I am non-celiac gluten sensitive and allergic to wheat. Good times. :P As I am transitioning to a gluten-free diet, I have had a few moments where I got "glutened" unknowingly. Depending on what I get, my reaction ranges from hives/wheezing which I can relieve with Claritin or Benadryl, or digestive problems (mostly stomach cramps and gas, not to be TMI)

Is there anything I can take for the digestive upset? I haven't tried Pepto or anything like that because I don't want to take medication if it's not going to do anything. Or is this something where I just have to grin and bear it until it passes?

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 sandsurfgirl

sandsurfgirl

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 09:57 PM

For the allergic reaction, definitely take meds, especially for wheezing- dangerous.

For the stomache stuff, I just drink water, eat clean and let it pass, but I'm also new to the diet and healing. If your gut is inflamed I think it just needs to rest.

Some people take an amino acid L glutamine but I haven't tried it yet.
Lots of doctors diagnosed me with lots of things including IBS, lactose intolerance, wheat intolerance, and quite a few of them threw up their hands in total confusion.

Had GI symptoms, allergy symptoms and unexplained illness my whole life.

Jan. 2010 Diagnosed celiac at the age of 40.
Ready to get well and get on with my life!

#3 AKcollegestudent

AKcollegestudent

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 10:06 PM

I take activated charcoal if I can catch it early enough. It keeps most of the gluten from hitting me, which at least lessens the severity of the reaction.

And if you're already wheezing? It's possible that the wheat allergy's only going to get worse. (I'm under strict orders to keep an eye on my dairy allergy, which has gone from mild skin itching to full out hives and wheezing in less than 10 months.)

#4 sandsurfgirl

sandsurfgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 10:41 PM

I didn't think about the charcoal.

You need to have an epipen if wheezing is an allergy symptom for you.
Lots of doctors diagnosed me with lots of things including IBS, lactose intolerance, wheat intolerance, and quite a few of them threw up their hands in total confusion.

Had GI symptoms, allergy symptoms and unexplained illness my whole life.

Jan. 2010 Diagnosed celiac at the age of 40.
Ready to get well and get on with my life!

#5 DownWithGluten

DownWithGluten

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 07:38 AM

I can't speak to the allergy/wheezing.

But when the gluten hits me and the digestive system, basically I sigh a resigned sigh, writhe about and just have to let it get itself out of my system...painful and exhausting as it is. Sorry. At least with me it got the point that I could predict it pretty well. I knew what was coming next, about how long it was going to last, etc. So for me, find a safe quiet place with a bathroom nearby and be prepared for an annoying, frustrating and painful excursion.

Probably not very helpful. :unsure: But damn if I woulda figured a way to make it stop, I wouldn't have gone on the gluten-free diet in the first place. But nothing worked. Not hot water, not peppermint, none of that. And trying to "stop" it would just make it last longer. Let it get itself out of your system. I was always happier the faster it came. The sooner it starts exorcising itself out of my body, the better. The less writhing and cramping and pain. That's the best thing you can do, I think...just let it happen.

But if you just get gas and cramps...that's far less than what I would get. I guess you just have to deal with it and rest it out...
Gluten-free since January, 2007

#6 rtrheli

rtrheli

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 09:14 AM

I drink about 2 or 3 TBS of liquid magnesium citrate every morning and night. It helps get it through faster, and relieves the gas and bloating quicker.

#7 jenngolightly

jenngolightly

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 02:40 PM

I take Maalox. It usually takes a few doses until I start feeling relief. I get really bloated, painful cramps, and nausea. I've used it for 5 or 6 years.
Jenn
dx celiac 9/2007: gluten-free 9/2007
corn intolerant: corn-free 5/2010
nut allergy: nut-free 8/2010

#8 kayo

kayo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 09:04 AM

I like Pepcid AC chewables. They seem to calm the gas down pretty quickly.
40 year old former foodie on a quest to feel better!

-IgE to oats and rye
-Diagnosed with Colitis via endoscopy/colonoscopy Oct '10
-Following FODMAP diet since June '10, Positve SIBO test, July '10
-Diagnosed non-celiac gluten intolerant June '10 (celiac in March '10, endocsocopy in Oct '10 shows no signs of celiac)
-Osteopenia June '10
-Gluten free since July '09 & Soy free since December '09
-Dairy free since '06
-IBS & Sjogren's diagnosed '05
-RA diagnosed as a toddler

#9 afreeclimber74

afreeclimber74

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 08:37 PM

I've read that drinking lots of fluids is supposed to help get the gluten out faster.
If I knew I ate the wrong thing before too much time had passed, I'd make myself throw up.

A product called Digestive Advantage for IBS can be bought over the counter at drugstores and is worked amazingly well at reducing symptoms for me. It was like night and day within 24hrs.

#10 Lollie

Lollie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 04:31 AM

If I am having gas I take phazyme. They seem to really help. I also take pepcid AC if it's more sour stomach. I drink lots of fluids, it helps to wash out the system.
tests inconclusive, diet conclusive January 2006

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: