This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Log Cabin

domineske

domineske Apprentice

I read on the Clan Thompson site that Log Cabin syrup contains barley. On the bottle we have at home, barley is not listed. Does anybody know the deal? Is it a hidden ingredient? Or have they changed the formulation?

Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Only the country kitchen Log Cabin syrup is gluten free according to this list:

Open Original Shared Link

I use Aunt Jemima syrup.

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

That is a good list but is not updated frequently so may have alot of outdated info.

From the updated delphi forums list it says that:

Log Cabin -All syrup varieties are gluten free

Maybe that was old info that you saw there. There is alot of info out there but alot is old.

If you do not have the delphi list already you should get it. celiac3270 has a thread in the product section about it that tells you how to get it. It is free and 79 pages. It does not cover every single product that is gluten free but it has alot and is very useful

I also however use Aunt Jemima syrup

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Oh ok... That information I gave was last updated in January 2005. They must have changed their ingredients or something since then...

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Really..they must have updated that since the last time I saw that...thanks for that info :D

It's on the April 2005 Delphi list but I would call and make sure or email them because the date of verification on their is 2004 but it's on the updated April 2005 list...due to mixed info from reliable sources it would be best to call or email..wouldn't want to have a gluten accident

But in the meantime Aunt Jemima is gluten free

lotusgem Rookie

Hi guys. Coincidentally, I e-mailed Pinnacle Foods on Friday about syrup and this is what they sent me. Hope it helps.

Dear Ms. Ruth:

Thank you for taking the time to inquire about Pinnacle Foods Corporation

and the products we produce which might be gluten-free. We appreciate

your interest in our company and our products.

At the present time, Vlasic

domineske Apprentice

Has anybody had a bad experience using regular Log Cabin?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bmorrow Rookie

I subscribed the the Celiac Smart Food list from Clan Thompson and it states the following:

Aunt Jemima Syrups contain Barley and Log Cabin-Country is Gluten-Free, but the Log Cabin lite and sugar free are not gluten-free. I use to get very sick on Aunt Jemima, so I started using pure Maple syrup, but at $10.00 a bottle it is very expensive to use for the entire family.

domineske Apprentice

May 17, 2005

I received this email from Pinnacle foods. I'm very confused, however, because when I look at the ingredients, I don't see where the barley could be hidden... which makes me wonder whether I'm missing hidden barley in other products.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Mr. Domineske:

Thank you for taking the time to email us.

In regards to your inquiry, our Log Cabin

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

:o:o

I'm glad I use Aunt Jemima now....there is quite a mix of info about it so I can see where you would be confused.

Malt is usually made of barley. Does it have malt flavoring on the label? If so that would be the culprit.

From the mix of responses even from the company I would say use something else...you also may want to call them. If you call them you may get your questions answered better.

Is there more then 1 company that makes Log Cabin syrup? On the delphi list it says they are gluten free but its not made by pinnacle...it says aurorafoods.com

So that was what I was referring to in regards to it being gluten free.

Didn't say anything about the pinnacle brand that I saw.

rma451 Newbie

hi ,

in a pinch I have taken karo syrup/gluten-free and heated it with a little butter and touch of vanilla , its warm and yummy on pancakes also much cheaper than some of the maple syrups today . good luck :D

domineske Apprentice

There was nothing on the label about malt or malt flavoring, so I called the company. Pinnacle Foods used to be Aurora Foods. They make Log Cabin & Mrs. Buttersworth as well as Duncan Hines (my kids frosting!) Cutomer service said that Log Cabin is NOT gluten-free (except for the Log Cabin Country Kitchen which IS gluten-free) and that the malt flavoring would be listed as "natural" flavors or flavorings. (I do NOT like this answer!) I asked her specifically to check the Duncan Hines frosting, and she said they they were gluten-free except for the new whipped frostings.

This should be easier!!!

Pinnacle Foods Group Inc.

6 Executive Campus, Ste. 100

Cherry Hill, NJ 08002-4112 (Map)

Phone: 856-969-7100

Fax: 856-969-7311

Toll Free: 877-852-7424

Open Original Shared Link

Pinnacle Foods Group (formerly Aurora Foods) has a mouthful of big-name brands. The firm produces grocery store staples such as Mrs. Butterworth's, Log Cabin, and Country Kitchen (syrup, pancake mix); Duncan Hines (baking mixes); Lender's (bagels); Van de Kamp's and Mrs. Paul's (frozen seafood); Chef's Choice (frozen skillet meals); and Celeste (frozen pizza). It has grown by buying well-known brands and then expanding those brand lines by adding new products. Upon Aurora's 2004 merger with Pinnacle Foods Holding Corporation, the company renamed itself Pinnacle Foods Group.

plantime Contributor
:o Regular Log Cabin has gluten?!? :o >thunk!< That explains why I have been having such trouble for the last month, since that is the only syrup I use on my Sunday morning pancakes! :o WWWAAAHHH!!! :o
lotusgem Rookie

Boy, am I glad that I checked this thread again this morning before setting out to go shopping! I was going to buy Log Cabin, but won't in light of the new information. Talk about confusing!

Kaiti, this question is for you. You and celiac3270 have been pretty adamant in the past about staying away from the products made by Quaker Oats. Quaker is the parent company of Aunt Jemima. I used to use Aunt Jemima grits until I heard what you guys said about their poor record as regards cross contamination. Does this only apply for their dry goods? Is the syrup a different story altogether? :huh:

Would love to use Aunt Jemima syrup if it's o.k.

Paula

Boojca Apprentice

THe gluten is in the "natural flavorings". THat is a VERY common place for gluten to be, actually, so even when a label looks gluten-free but says "natural flavorings" you need to call and find out.

Bridget

lotusgem Rookie

Actually, Kaiti, never mind! I was in a rush to get an answer, so I called them and asked them, myself! They (Quaker Oats, Co.) assured me that the Aunt Jemima syrups were gluten-free, and they are their only products for which they will make this guarantee. They said that they always steer people away from their other products because there is just too high a risk of cross contamination.

Paula

domineske Apprentice

In case folks use Mrs. Buttersworth....

I called Pinnacle again this morning and confirmed with them that BOTH Log Cabin Original and Mrs. Buttersworth contain malt flavoring from barley listed as natural flavorings and are NOT gluten-free. The only syrup that they make that is gluten-free is the Log Cabin Country Kitchen.

terri Contributor

I use Giant Foods brand lite syrup and mix it with pure maple syrup. On the list of gluten-free Giant brand foods, their regular and lite pancake syrups were listed. Costco often has good deals on pure maple syrup as well.

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Good researching everyone!

Log Cabin has gluten :angry: and... Aunt Jemima is gluten free! :D so everyone use Aunt Jemima!

plantime,

I'm glad you found the source of your troubles.

domineske Apprentice

Well, I'm off to the store to buy ALL of the following brands for the great pancake syrup taste-off Saturday morning:

Aunt Jemima's

Golden Griddle

Hungry Jack

Eggo's

I called each of these companies and they all confirm that they are gluten-free. If anyone has had any bad experiences with any of these brands, I'd appreciate a post.

Thanks!

tarnalberry Community Regular

what about the real maple syrup?! ;-)

actually, I prefer fruit preserves on my pancakes... :-D

Guest nini

Mrs. Butterworth's has gluten?????!!!!! WHAT????? I've been using this brand for the past 2 years because I read on some list somewhere that it was gluten free... AAAAACKKKK!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest nini

I did some checking and at least with Mrs. Butterworth's syrup, the only one that contains gluten is the LITE version, it contains barley malt. The original Mrs. Butterworth's is still considered gluten free.

domineske Apprentice

Where did you check? This is different information than I got from the manufacturer?!

Guest nini

The manufacturer! The 800 # that I called and the person I spoke to told me that. This was just the other day, sorry I didn't get the person's name.

Archived