Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Can Anyone Recommend A Gluten Free Soy Sauce?

• Please log in to reply

27 replies to this topic

#16 twe0708

twe0708

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 08:52 AM

Try to stay away for soy sauce. Have you seen how much salt is in soy! :o

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 03:13 PM

Try to stay away for soy sauce. Have you seen how much salt is in soy! :o

Heh, some of us with low blood pressure have no incentive to stay away from salt. Fortunately, however, you can use low sodium varieties in dishes and it's really not that much salt you end up getting. If I make a stir fry, I might use two tablespoons of soy sauce. At 700mg/tbsp (for San-J's low sodium wheat-free tamari), that's 1400mg in a dish we get six servings out of - 233mg per serving isn't too bad. :) (Really, it's the frequent use of packaged products that really adds up the sodium. Cereals and granola bars seem like they ought to be low sodium, but aren't. (My husband's family has a tendency towards salt-sensitive hypertension; I'm the opposite. :P) )
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#18 Mskedi

Mskedi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 08:12 PM

Seattle has a huge Asian population, so I figured I'd be able to find the San J. Went to the local Ranch 99 (a chain of large, Asian supermarkets http://www.99ranch.com/ ) they must have had 400 kinds of soy sauce, but of course, they were Sans San J! :rolleyes: But I did find a bottle. At Safeway! Can't wait to try it, haven't had any soy sauce in about 3 months.

If you're going to 99 Ranch, you can pick up gluten-free soy sauces there in HUGE bottles for a fraction of the price of the San J stuff. I think it's tastier, too. Reading the labels the first time through might be a pain, but there are quite a few that are made with rice instead of wheat, and if you want dark or sweet soy sauces (for certain recipes -- you wouldn't want to use those in, say, fried rice), those are made with sugar.

99 Ranch is heaven. :)

#19 David in Seattle

David in Seattle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 08:23 PM

If you're going to 99 Ranch, you can pick up gluten-free soy sauces there in HUGE bottles for a fraction of the price of the San J stuff. I think it's tastier, too. Reading the labels the first time through might be a pain, but there are quite a few that are made with rice instead of wheat, and if you want dark or sweet soy sauces (for certain recipes -- you wouldn't want to use those in, say, fried rice), those are made with sugar.

99 Ranch is heaven. :)

Mskedi - Thanks for the reply. I don't doubt you're right, but looking through all the bottles with so many of them being non-English was a bit daunting. Can you recommend a specific brand? Maybe a nice LINK to the manufacturer's site with a picture of the bottle? :P

Seriously that last part would be great!

David.

#20 Mskedi

Mskedi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 06:41 AM

Mskedi - Thanks for the reply. I don't doubt you're right, but looking through all the bottles with so many of them being non-English was a bit daunting. Can you recommend a specific brand? Maybe a nice LINK to the manufacturer's site with a picture of the bottle? :P

Seriously that last part would be great!

David.

When I wrote the post originally, I wanted to add a picture, but I needed to charge my battery so I was going to do it later. I guess I could have thought of linking it. I blame being tired. :P

Here you go:

This one is pretty all-purpose. I use it as I would any other soy sauce in fried rice, stir fries, korean stews... you name it, it works:
http://www.veryasia.com/104261.html

Sometimes I'll use this one along with the white soy sauce for a deeper flavor:
http://www.veryasia....-soy-sauce.html

And then this is what you use to make pad see ew and other semi-sweet stir-fried noodles:
http://www.veryasia.com/104260.html

We used this brand at home years before I went gluten-free (it's what my husband's grandma used in her Thai restaurants), and the day we purged our kitchen of gluten-containing foods we found out we could keep these. It was a pleasant surprise.

Be sure you're only getting these particular ones, though -- this line does carry regular soy sauces with wheat as well.

#21 David in Seattle

David in Seattle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 12:28 PM

When I wrote the post originally, I wanted to add a picture, but I needed to charge my battery so I was going to do it later. I guess I could have thought of linking it. I blame being tired. :P

Here you go:

Thanks Mskedi!

David

#22 minniejack

minniejack

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 07:41 AM

Love the San-J too, but if you can't find it, then the Bragg's liquid Aminos could make do.

#23 GrammieOf6

GrammieOf6

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 08:44 AM

I love SanJ--it's what they use at my local PF Changs. At one visit there, the chef came out and gave me a brand new bottle of it to take home :D

Glad you were able to find it, David.

Ken--my bottle says "brewed in Richmond, Virginia".

PF Changs? Are ALL PF Changs using gluten free soy sauce? I haven't been able to enjoy chinese food since I was diagnosed and I miss it sooooo much!

#24 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 06:42 PM

PF Changs? Are ALL PF Changs using gluten free soy sauce? I haven't been able to enjoy chinese food since I was diagnosed and I miss it sooooo much!

ALL have it. For regular customers the soy sauce is NOT gluten-free, but when you make it clear you need gluten-free, no problem.

richard

#25 JuliaWaters

JuliaWaters

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:32 PM

There is a newer Gluten free soy sauce called "Little Soya", I tried it and honestly its delicious.

There is a page on their site to see where its sold http://www.littlesoy...uy-little-soya/

#26 Christine0125

Christine0125

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:15 AM

Kikoman has a gluten free soy I found at my local Wegmans.

#27 GFinminneapolis

GFinminneapolis

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:09 AM

I just tried Kikkoman Gluten free soy sauce last night and it was great! Will continue to buy!
Diagnosed in April 2012

#28 sandiz

sandiz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:50 PM

Particularly one that might be available locally (Safeway, QFC, etc.)?

TIA

David

Not sure you can get this in the states, but in Canada we have VH sauces that are gluten free and have a great soya sauce

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: