This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Too Good To Be True?

connole1056

connole1056 Rookie

I just came across a website that disturbed me. It is curezone.com/dis/1.asp?CO=80 the site claims celiac disease can be cured by, among other things bowel cleansing, liver cleansing and dental cleanings! This seems unrealistic to me. If true wouldn't more people, especially a GI, know about this? I worry that someone could get hurt by following this and forgetting the gluten-free diet. Has anyone heard of this before??

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

celiac3270 Collaborator

Entirely a hoax....you see those every now and then...

And as you said, a GI would definitely have told you...and if there was already a cure, we wouldn't still be researching for one. There are many hoaxes...such as one medication type thing that claims to attach to the gluten and prevent it from hurting your intestines....all scams...

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Yep celiac3270 is right

There is no cure. The only thing we can do is stay on the diet...that is the only way we can heal.

And you are correct, if this was true then everybody would know about it and everyone would treat celiac this way...but the fact is that it is not true.

Those sites disturb me too because new people to the disease may try this and think that they will be "cured" when the fact is it will not.

jknnej Collaborator

Wow, I hope the people that read that website don't waste their money on that junk. It is awful that people will use other people who are sick to profit!

connole1056 Rookie

It really isn't a matter of making money because it is not like the site is trying to sell anything. This is what I think is weird. Do these people actually believe this or what? The site seems to push colonics as a cure-all for everything, even AIDS and cancer. It just seems so wrong to me that people can do this to other people.

skbird Contributor

I've read through there before and been discouraged. There is some good info on curezone.com but the part on Celiac - not good or informed at all. The person on there who swears she's been cured - it could be that she isn't reacting in a noticable way for her right now - she did some really radical diet things - but that doesn't mean she's not doing damage.

It's hard to sort/sift out certain info on the web but this site right here is full of good stuff so keep reading! :)

Stephanie

Thomas Apprentice

I wrote a complaint to the curezone website.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

celiac3270 Collaborator

Wow...that's disgusting! <_< so I'm glad you said something to them--

connole1056 Rookie

I want you guys to know you are great. I did not know if anyone would care, but I thankfully I was wrong! I think what that website is doing is criminal. Thanks for caring.

skbird Contributor

celiac3270 - good job on posting informatively over on curezone.com. I was checking it out today and saw your posts! Cool! If you help even one person who might have taken that stuff as gospel, you have done them a great service.

Stephanie

celiac3270 Collaborator

LOL...thanks :)

pmrowley Newbie

Amazing that something like that can even be in business; the amount of misinformation on that website is appalling! celiac disease is caused by liver stones? Or lack of Pancreatic enzymes? Where do they get this crap???

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

The sad thing is that some people believe that and think they can be cured :(

celiac3270 Collaborator

Read the first thread on this page...such a defiant person killing himself/herself with gluten:

Open Original Shared Link

...and won't listen to anything I say <_<

ianm Apprentice

You can lead someone to knowledge but you can't make them learn. <_<

Guest BellyTimber

Not checked that site out but I may have come across the tone somewhere.

When God launched us into the world some of us was behind the rest, things like our guts, immune system (60 per cent of which is in the guts).

Apparently the immune system isn't sure whether the pancreas is a foreign organ or not hence various imbalances in its functioning. Also imbalances occur in the structures of the guts.

One of the worst fallacies in this sort of thing is in getting hung up between cause and effect.

The fact is all this stuff goes together and you've got to treat everything.

In practice people with celiac disease like conditions who go gluten free recover - well or less well. Pancreas treatment - if you can access a sensible one - may or may not help some further.

In practice people with celiac disease like conditions don't recover if the pancreas is tweaked but the gluten-free life is not adopted. That's where people like the ones on that site are going wrong.

The other main fallacy is to ignore that people vary immensely.

Our bodies are telling us, adapt to how you are by adapting your food.

We people with celiac disease and equivalent have to fly in the face of conformity and be who we are.

From gastroenterologists I so often come across words like "guilt" and "cumbersome diet", they are not helping us. We gotta fight for our foods.

This kind of junk masquerades as new age but is based on irrational conformism.

We gotta listen to our bodies - they are our best friends - they are our own selves.

KaitiUSA Enthusiast
Read the first thread on this page...such a defiant person killing himself/herself with gluten:

...and won't listen to anything I say <_<

<_<

Wow...well at least you tried. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. Some people either don't understand or don't want to understand. But the info you put on there will hopefully help somebody else who discovers that site :D

Emme999 Enthusiast

I was just looking at the site and saw that someone suggested a book by Paul Pitchford (Healing with Whole Foods). That's a great book, but not for Celiac!!!! I was looking through it last night and he suggests that people with Celiac Disease eat spelt and oats. Yikes.

I managed a health food store for almost 2 years and we actually sold "The Cure For All Diseases" - which is the book this website is based on. (Well, *I* didn't see it personally, but it was on our shelves) It's the classic panacea health book. Cleanse your Colon and develop power over space & time :blink: Total joke of a book. The really sad thing is that the author has another book called "The Cure for all Cancers"

How sick is that? How can *anyone* do something that profits strictly off of desperate and weak people? :huh:

I'll never understand it. There *are* a lot of thing that you can do (natural remedies) - but I don't know of *any* respectable doctor or author who would make such grand claims and subject already sick people to dangerous risks.

Do supplement with glutamine though!! ;) I'm a firm believer in glutamine for healing your insides. :) Please try it! :)

- Michelle :wub:

pmrowley Newbie

I guess the biggest problem is, that people mistakenly associate lack of physical symptoms with a "remission" of the condition.

Personally, before I was diagnosed, the ONLY symptom I showed was slow growth. My mother fought with several doctors before I was successfully diagnosed, and I went through batteries and batteries of tests before we finally hit upon celiac disease as my issue (Remember, this was about 25 years ago. Biopsies were still an experimental diagnostic tool.)

That poster who thinks they're in "remission" chooses to ignore all of celiac3270's advice and linked research, simply because they "feel fine." And then goes off on a completely unrelated tangent regarding caffeine research, citing that as evidence that "nobody knows a **** about the human body."

Well, I guess when they die 20 years early of some other complication, at least they "felt fine" while they were poisoning themselves...

-P

celiac3270 Collaborator

Gosh, he still is in denial:

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

yeah celiac3270..I can see he is in denial and probably not coming out anytime soon. :(

celiac3270 Collaborator

I can't convince him <_< , but if we can save one person's life, we've achieved something. Thank you for your supporting me, Kaiti, pmrowley, and...skbird. He still won't listen, but this way I don't seem looney :lol:

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

celiac3270-your right...and the more people we have on there saying this info is wrong the better our info looks. So if someone reads that and we can help just one as you said...it's all worth it :D

skbird Contributor

Just because it is or was currently a bad resource, doesn't mean it can't become a good resource. I think it's great people have gone and put in their two cents.

I really liked your longer post, celiac3270, backing up why you were putting the info on the board to begin with. You have a great way of reasoning out your thoughts.

Stephanie

connole1056 Rookie

I do not know if the person in question is in denial, a liar or even a real person!! It could be entirely made up and the person a figment of someone's sick imagination. I am glad other people took the time to read what was on the site. Some people may not know the info is untrue. That is what I meant when I posted this and said wouldn't doctors have heard about this? That is what I think everyone should ask when hearing about a cure for anything. Look at all the weight-loss pills available though. The fact is that sometimes people want to believe in something so good judgement goes out the window>

Archived