4 replies to this topic

#1 Wondering1

Wondering1

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 07:29 AM

Ok, My older brother was just diagnosed with celiacs disease- he was off the charts, he advised that I go in and get testing based of my medical issues such as still births, miscarriages, radical thymectomy due to the starts of myasthenia gravis. So, I went on Monday and got my results today- the Dr. said it was negative: I am however confused on the findings.
I am 34 years old, here is the results given: Can any of you help me with this- do I have it or not?

Deamidated Gliadin Peptide Ab IgA mine was a 4
Deamidated Gliadin Peptide Ab IgG mine was a 7
Tissue Transglutaminase Ab, IgA mine was a 19 they said the range for this is from 0-19
Tissue Transglutaminase Ab, IgG mine was a 6

so according to the other numbers they are low representing negative, but the Ab,IgA has me confused: I went to my primary care dr. there is no way I have the money right now to get the endo. What are your opinions and or what does this mean, I am SO confused.
Thanks

Can anyone please help me with my test results.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Wondering1

Wondering1

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 06:45 PM

Is there anyone out there who will help me with the test results? I really am confused and would like some insight to this..

#3 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 08:05 PM

You need to include the reference ranges when you post results. Every lab is different.
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#4 nora_n

nora_n

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 02:43 AM

maybe the normal range is from 0-10 and 11-19 ia grey zone, and 20 definitely positive.

In early celiac, the damage is patchy and about 50% test negatiive. That is because the blood test are designed to only turn positive when there is a lot of damale, like total villous atrophy....they really want to avoid getting positive reaults for people that are just at the beginning of celiac.

I think this has to do with Europe, like in many countries patietns get money from the government if diagnosed celiac.
So the rules have to be strict and apply to all the world.
So they set the cutoff of the blood tests very high to only catch very ill celiacs.

So I think your result of 19 really means something, and that they should do a biopsy.

Your other symptoms , and the fact that your brother was diagnosed, really suggest celiac.

The most important celiac test here amongst all the tests, is the Ttg IgA test.
In many countries that is the only one they run (together with the total IgA to check if people make enought IgA at all so the test is valid or not, otherwise they do the IgG version)
gluten-free since may 06 after neg. biopsy symptoms went away and DH symptoms which I had since 03 got gradually better.
daughter officially diagnosed celiac and casein intolerant.
non-DQ2 or DQ8. Maybe DQ1? Updated: Yes, double DQ5
Hypothyroid since 2000, thyroxine first started to work well 06 on a low-carb and gluten-free diet
Lost 20 kg after going gluten-free and weighing 53 kg now. neg. biopsy for DH. Found out afterwards from this forum that it should have been taken during an outbreak but it was taken two weeks after. vitaminD was 57 nmol/l in may08)

#5 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,767 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 04:11 AM

I would strongly advise you to try the diet after you have finished all the testing you want to have done. There are false negatives on testing, I was the sickest person in my family and always showed a false negative on testing but all my other family members, including ex-husband showed positive. A good strict trial of the diet may be of more value for you.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: