#1 imsohungry

imsohungry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 01:20 PM

Hello everyone,

I am about to order my flours for making up my gluten-free flour blend to keep on hand.

When I was previously on the gluten-free diet, I thought that I was also able to go ahead and add in the xanthan gum with the flours in my mix that I stored. Am I dreaming? It has been three years since I've been on the diet. :huh: I honestly can't remember.

Also, can you remind me of the "rule of thumb" for the amount of xanthan gum and gelatin that should be added per cup of flour when baking...i.e. pizza crusts, pancakes, etc.

Many thanks! :) -Julie
Loves of my life: God, my hubby, and my baby boy!

"I will never give up on my dreams; I will simply modify my path for reaching them." (JH-me).

"Life's a dance you learn as you go, sometimes you lead, sometimes you follow"
(John Michael Montgomery).

"I'm gonna be somebody, one of these days I'm gonna break these chains" (Travis Tritt).

"Life is better left to chance. I could have missed the pain, but I'd have had to miss the dance."
(Garth Brooks).

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 missy'smom

missy'smom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 09:35 AM

I make some homemade mixes and store but I don't remember if they have the gum added. However, if you think about it, the store bought mixes have the gum added in and they are stored for a while. To decide how much gum to add, I go by the EnerG package suggestions- cookies and cakes-1/4 tsp. per cup, muffins and quick breads-3/4 tsp. per cup, bread 1 to 1 1/2tsp. per cup, pizza-2 tsp. per cup
Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11
Son: ADHD '06,
neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07
ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08
ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08
Gluten-free-Feb. '09
other food allergies

#3 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 11:19 AM

If it were me I would not add it until I make up the recipe, as I have seen recipes that do not call for xanthan gum (admittedly not many, and I don't know how much difference it would make :) ). In gluten free baking, because I have not been at it that long, I tend to follow the recipes to the letter :rolleyes:
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 missy'smom

missy'smom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 11:38 AM

You reminded me of an important point mushroom. I often work with mixes that are made for a specific purpose-pancakes only, pizza only etc. so the gum amount always stays the same. But if one was just mixing up an all-purpose flour mix to be used in many different recipes then it would be better to leave it out and add it as each thing is made.
Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11
Son: ADHD '06,
neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07
ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08
ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08
Gluten-free-Feb. '09
other food allergies

#5 imsohungry

imsohungry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 04:15 AM

Thanks for the replies! That makes sense. I'm still rereading my gluten-free notebook and there are "holes" in my info. where I didn't document certain things the last time I was gluten-free.

Take Care! :)
-Julie
Loves of my life: God, my hubby, and my baby boy!

"I will never give up on my dreams; I will simply modify my path for reaching them." (JH-me).

"Life's a dance you learn as you go, sometimes you lead, sometimes you follow"
(John Michael Montgomery).

"I'm gonna be somebody, one of these days I'm gonna break these chains" (Travis Tritt).

"Life is better left to chance. I could have missed the pain, but I'd have had to miss the dance."
(Garth Brooks).

#6 sandsurfgirl

sandsurfgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 01:57 PM

I think I remember reading that one of them, either flours or xanthan gum, last longer than the others and some other chemical reaction reason not to mix them. She suggested you don't buy premade mixes that have the X gum in them already either. If I find it, I'll post the exact reasons why, but I do know I have the gist of it.
Lots of doctors diagnosed me with lots of things including IBS, lactose intolerance, wheat intolerance, and quite a few of them threw up their hands in total confusion.

Had GI symptoms, allergy symptoms and unexplained illness my whole life.

Jan. 2010 Diagnosed celiac at the age of 40.
Ready to get well and get on with my life!

#7 celiac-mommy

celiac-mommy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 03:27 PM

But if one was just mixing up an all-purpose flour mix to be used in many different recipes then it would be better to leave it out and add it as each thing is made.

This is what I do because I'm using my blend for everything, and if I just need it for a thickener, I don't want to waste the expensive xanthan gum on that. I also keep the gum in the freezer once it's been opened. I read that somewhere...

Rachelle 20dance.gif

Daughter diagnosed 1/06 bloodwork and biopsy
-gluten-free since 1/06

Son tested negative-bloodwork (8/07), intestinal issues prompted biospy (3/08), results negative, but very positive dietary response, Dr. diagnosed Celiac disease (3/8)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: