This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Blessings And Troubles

Peace41

Peace41 Rookie

Hello Board,

Peace be with u.

I have just started with the gluten free diet, and it is about learning very quickly because of dysphagia, but other disabilities...

I have found blessings but also troubles as well.

My sensitivities have increased...particularly at my nose and throat.

The blessing I have found, was with the bread, i really like the gluten-free bread right now, because it becomes softer and better to swallow. And feels

really good after eating it.

Who else likes their gluten free bread?

The troubles being many, am having with soap and hand and body moisturiser...

I am having trouble with smell and its aggravating the dyphagia along with burning hands. The other one I use to have, has gluten in it, but

doesn't cause problems like this....but I also don't want to use that either.

I need to have a soap, body wash, that will not dry out my skin, cause stinging, cause trouble with smells to the point I go to bed, and it bothers

and stings my nose etc...to the point I can't stand to have my hands near my face, and they begin to sting and then have to put them under the covers

but then that smell I can then smell rising out of the covers. As well as the body moisturiser, its awful, I had to get up last night, because it worsened the

dysphagia and had to rewash with the old one, so I could get some sleep.

My facial products that I use, the company have told me all but one product is gluten-free free. And it is about keeping away from that one product. And they are reasonably priced and the

person that makes them is the person that runs the company and the site. If anyone would like to have a look, they can google ncn skincare professional. I think I may look

at this site to see if they have a body mosituriser as well as body soap, and if not, ask them if they can make these up.

Does anyone else have this problem with smells, I can get mirgraines from smells, and can only really have one perfume, being geranium, as long as it is not too much,

I have it in an essential oil. And it is about finding gluten-free products with no obnoxious smells, no chemical overload that will also be productive and effective with cleaning.

Also my washing powder bothers me too....not with wearing the clothes but putting the powder in the washing machine. I am thinking about putting on a mask and gloves until

I have the washing powder thing sorted out. Does anyone have this problem with washing powder. I am right on fabric softener, just use cleaning vinegar and it is really good.

Peace41

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sandsurfgirl Collaborator

How new are you to the diet? If you do a search on here for withdrawals you can read about how people get more sensitive and sicker before they get better quite often.

Most of us don't advocate eating gluten free breads, etc for a couple of months because you are healing and they are tough on the body being so complex in ingredients.

I make my own bread using Arrowhead Mills gluten free baking mix because it's pretty simple ingredients.

I think Dr. Bronner's castille soap is gluten free and it doesnt' have a bunch of stuff in it. Double check that though because I'm not sure.

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

I've had good luck with Vanicream soap and lotion. When I called them to ask about gluten they offered to mail me samples. My local Wal-Mart carries it in their Pharmacy, all I have to do is ask for it.

I use a liquid soap for my laundry and vinegar, like you do for fabric softener.

vanicream:

psico dot com

mamaw Community Regular

Hi

I too react to almost everything on planet earth...Super sensitive fair skinned, red head, freckles, blue eyed!

I don't use make-up anymore because I react even when its a mineral make-up.

The product I use for just about everything is Miracle II.. You can google this product &read its many uses. I use it for bathing, shampoo, cleaning , washing the animals, &much more....

also vinegar & baking soda work well for disinfecting & cleaning... I use a miracle cloth for window cleaning & dusting , no chemicals here either.

You may want to trya more natural clothes washing soap that is liquid. Felsnaptha bar soap can be grated for clothes washing as well. Mywasher uses HE detergent so its harder to find but I've triedseveral & theonly one I like so far is Bio-Kleen. I do have others to experiment with....

I see another poster said some newbies do not eat bread......I will say I've been gluten-free for a long time &also a gluten-free mentor& I have never heard that before. What I do hear is most can not find a gluten-free bread they love.Also adding alot of fiber can cause one to get the big D until your body heals....some folks just can not do alot of fiber anytime. But we do need fiber * protein in our gluten-free diet.

hth

blessings

mamaw

Hi

I see another poster said some newbies do not eat bread......I will say I've been gluten-free for a long time &also a gluten-free mentor& I have never heard that before. What I do hear is most can not find a gluten-free bread they love.Also adding alot of fiber can cause one to get the big D until your body heals....some folks just can not do alot of fiber anytime. But we do need fiber * protein in our gluten-free diet.

hth

blessings

mamaw

LOTS of people on the board can't handle gluten free breads, cakes, and other replacements in the beginning. It's the number one bit of advice given on here for people who are new to the diet. Eventually most if not all are able to handle it, but in the beginning the best thing is a simple diet.

I'm surprised as a "gluten free mentor" that you aren't advocating a simple clean diet for the withdrawals and healing phase. The damaged digestive system needs a break so it can heal.

I resisted that advice for a couple of weeks and when I finally listened was when I started to heal.

Peace41 Rookie

Hello All,

Thanks for all the responses. I will go through and have a look at each one, I also will have a look at Castille soap. I also would be interested in making bread one day.

And know about the effects of toxicity, or detox withdrawal symptoms, although new to the gluten-free diet, not to allergies, and living a restricted

diet along with the elimination diet. And thanks for caring about the bread. I had weeks where I couldn't eat bread at all, had to eat very few things.

so that was my healing phase, and trying to get over this digestive injury I sustained. Its been since Christmas, when I had the adverse reaction to herbal supplements

and medication.

I also got diagnosed last week with Gluten Intolerance among all the other things as well,to add to our long list of disabilities for our family,

my son and I stopped counting when we reached 18 internal disorders. WE have over 18, some are getting better and almost non existant like asthma, my son

had the severe anaphylactic one where they said he would be on preventive medication for the rest of his life when he was seven. He stopped taking medication

when he was 12 and is almost 18. Hasn't been rushed to the hospital since he was 11. Now its my turn with this thing that I am living with and having to go to the hosptial and

doctors so many times, its become like my second home.

We get tested next week as a family for allergies, to hopefully find all of them, and then have a diet made up. And maybe even some treatment, that would be lovely. My son will be

tested for Gluten Intolerance. He tried gluten free potato chips and likes them, along with the chocolate biscuit I can't eat. But I do have one biscuit I can have now, which are children's

animal cookie biscuits. I am grateful i can eat one.

Also looking at laser therapy as a possibility for the H. Pylori Bacteria and also fibromyalgia. We can't have most medication.

Also thanks for the Miracle 11 I will have a look at it.

Thanks all so much for caring and sharing, appreciate it.

Peace 41

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Hi

hth

blessings

mamaw

I agree about the bread. While it is best to go with a whole unprocessed diet if you are tolerating the bread keep it in your diet. It is not good to go out and get a whole bunch of breads, cereals and pastry items and concentrate your diet around those, but it is not a good idea for folks to do that with a regular gluten diet either. You need nutrition and none of those foods are really very nutritious so you do want the majority of your diet to be whole and unprocessed but a sandwich or occasional cake or such isn't going to hurt and will make the transition a bit easier.

I also was extremely sensitive to smells. I go with Arm and Hammer Free and Clear for detergent and I don't use fabric softener. Arm and Hammer does make a Free and Clear fabric softener if you really like to use one though.

Dr Bonner's was mentioned and I have used that but I did find it didn't do much for dry skin but then again it didn't make it worse either.

For dry skin NOW makes a shea butter product that works really well and has just shea butter and jojoba oil. You can also use plain coconut oil.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Peace41 Rookie

Hello Again,

I have had a look at both the Dr Bronner Castille Soap, also the Miracle 11 and the VaniCream. I have bookmarked the vanicream thanks for that, but would like to have a look at the ingredients before I decide to send for it. I am in Australia, so I need to make sure before I send for anything from overseas that I can have it. As for the Dr Bronner Castille Soap and the Miracle 11, I can't have those. All though the Miracle 11 is a possibility, the Conditioning Shampoo is full of things I am having issues with, yes a lot of fruits I am having problems with, including raw as well as cooked. If I could eat raw and drink raw, veggies and fruit, I would be in a much better predicament.

Its come to me, that perhaps I will make our own shampoo and conditioner for me first to see how it goes. I have aloe vera in the garden, and apple cider vinegar is suppose to be good at cleansing as well as softening when it is diluted with spring water. And have found a very pure castille soap, that I will possibly send away for, its on a site that is gluten free, allergy friendly and fragrance free, they do use a small amount of chemicals, but only a bit, so will see what exactly I am allergic to at present. But in the mean time, I have come upon a site that a lady's husband did away with shampoo just rinsing his hair with water, his hair got oily and then after weeks, his hair became soft and fluffy.

The new shampoo and conditioner I have just bought can't handle it, and also stings my hands and caused problems in my throat.My hands did better washing them with the dishwashing liquid I have, its gluten free, but is environmentally friendly. And made my hands feel soft. So perhaps its the dishwashing liquid for my hands, and still working on my hair problem.

Along time ago I use to use apricot oil for moisturising my body,and I could tolerate that, although I am having issues with apricots, so its about finding an oil, and maybe making up a body and hand oil that I can use.

I have some more options to try. I will come back with an update in our journey later,

thanks again.

Peace41

missy'smom Collaborator

I'll second the suggestion of using coconut oil as a moisturizer. I bought a large inexpensive plastic container of it at WalMart and use it everyday on my feet and elbows. LouAnn is the brand. It doesn't really smell like coconut. Fairly neutral. There is a company called DHC that sells pure, cosmetic grade olive oil products for facial use. No fragarances or anything added, just olive oil.

I use the All Free and Clear but am frustrated that they keep concentrating it. I am careful in how much I use in a load. And no fabric softener here either. No fragrances either.

I used to use a bar of baby soap for washing. The healthfood stores here carry some very simple, unfragranced mild bar soaps that might be good for washing the body.

mamaw Community Regular

All of our bodies heal & mend in different ways & we all process foods in different ways. NOt everyone can do alot of proteins , sugars, certain flours safe or unsafe. This is something we each figure out over time. Many are sensitive to all kinds of things. I do believe in starting out with plain naked foods ie: meats, veggies, fruits but again some can't handle this . Some people can not get past the anger, bitter feelings when everything they love is taken away and comfort food is usually one of the big issues. Along with gut healing there has to be emotional healing as well.... I believe in body, mind & spirit healing go hand in hand. Our minds play tricks on our thinking process.. I have heard many times over the many years of helping people that they feel upset, angry, & crazy about the fact that they will never be able to have a good piece of cake, cookie, bread ever again... So I feel if someone is having a strong craving they should fulfill that craving with a bit of the item as long as it is gluten-free. I do not promote cheating ever & I've also stated that many times.

We need to control those emotions so that depression doesn't take over & control our total being. This is what a few on here are having big time problems with .So yes, I do say if one wants a gluten-free goodie by all means have a bit, then get back to healing the total body.

Being denied anything will cause depression & cause negative thoughts. Just my opinion with many people who would agree. Your opinion is also valued.

blessings

mamaw

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Hello Again,

But in the mean time, I have come upon a site that a lady's husband did away with shampoo just rinsing his hair with water, his hair got oily and then after weeks, his hair became soft and fluffy.

Peace41

I did that for quite a while when my hair was real short. Oddly it didn't seem to increase oil production for me. I simply would rinse my hair with plain water daily when I showered. If you don't use a lot of styling type products you may find that works okay for you too. Even now I only shampoo about once a week and just rinse my hair the other days. Oh and the NOW product I mentioned before was cocoa butter and jojoba not shea butter and jojoba as I previously thought, I also use just the plain Shea butter.

Peace41 Rookie

Hello All,

I will answer everyone's post in this one post and respond hopefully to remember all that I read, be mindful and not leave anyone out.

Peace be with u all. Thanks for sharing also about ur washing experience with no shampoo/soap etc...for a time. And I also have thought about jobajoba oil, use to use it while I was breastfeeding.

Last night I had a terrible night, I brought the phone near my bead because it came down to the point, I thought I may have needed to go to the hospital. I ended up washing again

and washing every single moisturiser etc...off my face/body and hair and I tried rice bran oil last night, a new bottle and still had residue on my body, it washed clean, but I couldn't cope with the residue. I got really constricted in the throat and then I got intestinal pain and it was worsening. So I got up around 4am to have another showed and wash everything off, including not even using the new cloths I had bought, the smell of new bothered me. Just using my hands. And I felt better. And my throat subsided so I fell asleep. This became a blessing, so I am just going to use water to see how I go, twice a day and my hands, not cloths for washing. At present it feels like virtually everything makes me allergic. Or it feels that way, that is why I am glad I can eat a few more things. My whole digestive system was wiped out by the adverse reaction along with my nervous system and other systems were affected. I am so looking forward to the allergy testing and possible treatment for it, because I am too sensitive. I can deal with the gluten intolerance, but it is the and everything else I am having trouble with.

I agree also with spiritual healing and emotional meaning that causes illness and its about frustration and being blocked. My frustration that I have comes from others blocking me in my life, and being down right pains in the backside. I have had to live and deal with the difficult, and I have had to deal with things out of my control that hold up my life, daily, to the point of it brings terrible suffering in my life, the pain from also being not accepted and rejected because also u have disabilities, or because u r not perceived as something u can not be nor can ever be and not being accepted by groups etc.... U can deal with a few frustrating people and circumstances but when u are bombarded with it, particularly when u believe in peace, be one in peace, u need to have peace continually, when others have things against peace, and yes there are people that love to fight and argue for the sake of it, and have to live with disorders and diseases that are also continually frustrating, and circumstances that truly are just not nor could ever be peaceful, it can get on ur nerves. I also have dealt with my own personal frustration, but its the outside of my control I am having trouble with and dealing with that continually. I also lost my living skills years ago and so I have had to relearn them without any sort of support or help or occupational therapy etc.. coming through the medical system and I have heard too many times, there is nothing much we can do about that. And that can be frustrating to know what u could do once, u can not do anymore, and u need to do it, so u have to find a way that u can do it. I have come along way, but still I have a way to go. So for me its about letting Godly patience in long suffering bring forth healing, releasing and for me to be patient and be set free from the frustration, because have learnt the blocks in our body and life, can cause allergies which also can hold things up in our life, and the intolerance comes from the fruits of rejection and non acceptance of things or even people in life. Even in this journey of healing the medical system and there are people in there held up that healing or ignored it, to the point I and it became worse. And have had to go and find people when others can't see me for months, then I need to find people that can help me deal with this urgently. Because it truly does feel like an anaphylactic reaction at the voice box. And that can be dangerous.Also I really can't go through life with everything feeling like I am allergic too. I am way too sensitive. Sensitivity can be beautiful, but when it takes over ur life and makes u sick etc...then it needs to be dealt with.

And as I live in the country, and u don't see a lot of people when u go into town or our neighbours and at times I can't go outside either because I am ill or its just too hot etc....I can get away with going without the hygienne products for a time. As long as I wash regularly with water to also freshen up I should be fine. But will be better when they also change the water. We have unhealthy water to the point bacteria has been found to be in the water, which is the E coli one, and it has been declared a health risk. I will be so glad when the water filter plant is up and running, they were working on it in february and said it should be up and running in march. This area has never had clean water before this and there are people that were born here, that don't know what it is like to have clean water all the time.

And thanks about the bread, too, because I truly need to have som bread for substanc and to help fill me up, since I can't eat a whole lot of everything else. And not having trouble with leg ham sliced off the bone. but am having difficulty with a lot of other meats, its the chewing of it and not being able to swallow it enough, and it can be a bit stringy. I just went and bought some organic mince that it is just meat minced up, so will see how I go with minced meat. I also heard back from the hospital and asked them when I have the dilatation, done on Friday if they want me to bring in food for after it, they won't let u go until u have something to eat, or whether they could provide, once they knew I had a gluten intolerance they asked me to bring in my own food. I guess I will have to just get use to the bringing our own food again.

Hugs to all of u, its beautiful having some support in this. Even though we do have Celiac disease differently, the basis and foundation is the same, being we can not tolerate gluten.

And in that, we are one. And I get to become more patient, get some frustration released and hopefully will stop being allergic to a lot of stuff. I also found out about laser treatment for allergies and pain management, my son has also fibromyalgia, that he manages with pain, but we can both get some help from this and the door being opened to us, we may do this. I had a dream some years back where we both looked upon a woman that was having her back lasered. The top layer peeled away and underneath it revealed a beautiful new skin. And now we have to look at laser treatment as an option in our healing journey.

Have a beautiful day,

Peace41

All of our bodies heal & mend in different ways & we all process foods in different ways. NOt everyone can do alot of proteins , sugars, certain flours safe or unsafe. This is something we each figure out over time. Many are sensitive to all kinds of things. I do believe in starting out with plain naked foods ie: meats, veggies, fruits but again some can't handle this . Some people can not get past the anger, bitter feelings when everything they love is taken away and comfort food is usually one of the big issues. Along with gut healing there has to be emotional healing as well.... I believe in body, mind & spirit healing go hand in hand. Our minds play tricks on our thinking process.. I have heard many times over the many years of helping people that they feel upset, angry, & crazy about the fact that they will never be able to have a good piece of cake, cookie, bread ever again... So I feel if someone is having a strong craving they should fulfill that craving with a bit of the item as long as it is gluten-free. I do not promote cheating ever & I've also stated that many times.

We need to control those emotions so that depression doesn't take over & control our total being. This is what a few on here are having big time problems with .So yes, I do say if one wants a gluten-free goodie by all means have a bit, then get back to healing the total body.

Being denied anything will cause depression & cause negative thoughts. Just my opinion with many people who would agree. Your opinion is also valued.

blessings

mamaw

That is so true. It's really a balancing act in the beginning, well always I guess, but especially when you are healing. It took me a bit of time to embrace the need to go simple with my diet for the exact reasons you talked about.

It's a Catch 22 though, because the emotional upsets and depressed feelings are so much worse when you are still having withdrawals and feeling sick. Feeling healthy again is so healing emotionally and spiritually. There are powerful direct connections between the gut and the brain, so the depression comes because of the emotions of grieving and loss and it also comes from the physical imbalances in the gut. The intestines are big serotonin producers. And since gluten acts like an opiate on the brain and body, the withdrawal process is a true withdrawals just like from drugs or alcohol. So if the gut is having trouble with gluten free substitutes it prolongs the process, thereby prolonging emotional distress.

I went super simple and am still eating that way for now, but when I get a craving, I do like you said and have it. After about 6 weeks I was able to challenge bread but I make it myself because tapioca is making me sick right now. But there are times that I have paid dearly for those indulgences with more GI symptoms. Now I'm able to digest many more foods, and so I have my indulgences that I know won't bother me.

It's an interesting discussion because it's hard to weigh all the factors when you are this turmoil in the beginning.

Peace41 Rookie

That is so true. It's really a balancing act in the beginning, well always I guess, but especially when you are healing. It took me a bit of time to embrace the need to go simple with my diet for the exact reasons you talked about.

It's a Catch 22 though, because the emotional upsets and depressed feelings are so much worse when you are still having withdrawals and feeling sick. Feeling healthy again is so healing emotionally and spiritually. There are powerful direct connections between the gut and the brain, so the depression comes because of the emotions of grieving and loss and it also comes from the physical imbalances in the gut. The intestines are big serotonin producers. And since gluten acts like an opiate on the brain and body, the withdrawal process is a true withdrawals just like from drugs or alcohol. So if the gut is having trouble with gluten free substitutes it prolongs the process, thereby prolonging emotional distress.

I went super simple and am still eating that way for now, but when I get a craving, I do like you said and have it. After about 6 weeks I was able to challenge bread but I make it myself because tapioca is making me sick right now. But there are times that I have paid dearly for those indulgences with more GI symptoms. Now I'm able to digest many more foods, and so I have my indulgences that I know won't bother me.

It's an interesting discussion because it's hard to weigh all the factors when you are this turmoil in the beginning.

That Catch 22 can be horrible especially when it is ongoing. For our family we know all too well about having everything come into order and balance, and yet there is always this change that comes. I haven't got a handle on the Gluten diet as yet, because it is new, nor this allergic reaction and that is months have been going through this. And u do one thing and then all of a sudden it changes and that change can have such a detrimental affect, but later on can lead to blessings. When the allergic reaction subsides then we can do the diet in peace, and know exactly what we are allergic too, inlcuding my son as a family and what we are sensitive to now, all of it, our lives r going to be a whole lot better. When I no more have dysphagia that will be a blessed day in deed. Glad that u r doing the simple.

My family and I simplified our lives, years ago, but always u just get ur life into a beautiful place and space, then bang something happens and then u have to start all over again. So what people write hear is useful for us, and for others because there are people that don't post and then still read, which may be a help to them.

I will let u know about being soap/shampoo and skin care free if my body comes back into healing alignment with regards the body oils, but will also let people know how it was like to go the Chriopractor for our allergies and what the treatment is like. And also if we get to do laser treatment, for these disabilities etc... We believe in a multi disciplinary that becomes one, and we believe in the gentle approach when we can.

Peace 4 1

When you say you don't have a handle on the gluten free diet, are you meaning that you are still eating gluten sometimes? If that's the case, then it could be causing the skin issues.

Peace41 Rookie

When you say you don't have a handle on the gluten free diet, are you meaning that you are still eating gluten sometimes? If that's the case, then it could be causing the skin issues.

No I am not saying that at all. What I am saying is I don't have a handle on it, because I have other medical problems along with it. Like Dysphagia, its dreadful and I can't eat majority of anything at present, so I can't get a handle on the diet, because I can not have majority of the diet nor any other diet. I also am suspecting a multiple protein intolerance/allergy, because it seems to be I can't eat peanut butter, dairy, rice, not to mention the gluten grains, corn, and majority of fruits and vegetables a whole lot of things. I can't even drink herbal teas or anything else but one water, I can't have even different oils. If I could eat the diet, that would be lovely because I would have more to eat than the very little. I also am not well enough to eat a whole lot of food I can't eat, and my throat instantly reacts, so u just don't.

So until I can deal with this allergy problem sort it all out, along with the dysphagia an oydnophagia, I will continue to not have a handle on the gluten free diet. At present a new thing has come, my ankles and bottom of my legs are feeling tight, and have swollen a little.

Plus what I have just found out with my son's disabilities, people with his disabilities, which is autism spectrum disorders also have gluten intolerance just like people with Celiac disease, but they have an extra component added, they can't tolerate casein in Dairy and can have anaphylaxis reactions with it, and that is my son's reactions. So he is being prepared for his allergy testing next week that some things are going to come back for him. He also is prepared it is going to have to be the blood test in case he has an anaphylaxtic reaction, along with me, so I don't have the constriction happening at the throat. And it is the same for people with Autism Spectrum Disorders as people with Celiac disease that they can never have these things again. Because the bowel can also not absorb nor process the Casein nor the Gluten, so it looks like we are going to have to become a Gluten Free household along with a Dairy Free Household. We did the dairy free diet before, but not gluten free.

And this is just like with Celiac disease, there is no cure only having these diet restrictions. And a Casein reaction can cause itchy skin, rashes etc...

Peace 4 1

missy'smom Collaborator

A gluten-free diet doesn't have to follow any special pattern or plan except that all foods consumed need to be free of gluten. Everyone's diet varies quite a bit according to their preferences, needs and other restrictions. Many of have multiple additional restrictions due to other medical conditions or allergies. I think that the allergy testing will be very helpful to you. Just stick with pure, natural foods that you know you don't react to and that are naturally free of gluten. That's what many of us do-simple meats, fruits, vegetables and grains if tolerated. It is imperitive to your recovery that you be strictly free of gluten though. We've(my son and I) been on this new journey of discovery with our allergies and intolerances this year and are on an elimination/challenge diet with foods that we tested positive to. I found a book that has been helpful to me called Food Allergies and Intolerances by Jonathan Brostoff, M.D. and Linda Gamlin. There's a blog that I like too by a woman who has kids with Autism, I think, and they are on this journey too. It's called Everything Free Eating. Open Original Shared Link

Peace41 Rookie

A gluten-free diet doesn't have to follow any special pattern or plan except that all foods consumed need to be free of gluten. Everyone's diet varies quite a bit according to their preferences, needs and other restrictions. Many of have multiple additional restrictions due to other medical conditions or allergies. I think that the allergy testing will be very helpful to you. Just stick with pure, natural foods that you know you don't react to and that are naturally free of gluten. That's what many of us do-simple meats, fruits, vegetables and grains if tolerated. It is imperitive to your recovery that you be strictly free of gluten though. We've(my son and I) been on this new journey of discovery with our allergies and intolerances this year and are on an elimination/challenge diet with foods that we tested positive to. I found a book that has been helpful to me called Food Allergies and Intolerances by Jonathan Brostoff, M.D. and Linda Gamlin. There's a blog that I like too by a woman who has kids with Autism, I think, and they are on this journey too. It's called Everything Free Eating. Open Original Shared Link

Thanku very much for ur thoughtful post. Yes we have been on this journey too before and its like having to start all over again. We were on the elimination diet/lifestyle previously for seven years. Hope u and ur son, have the healing that u r needing as we got on ours. My son when he started got his short term memory activated, came off asthma medication and all drugs, became spiritually strong and also sorts of giftings came as a result, and started to learn, read and is writing (my son has learning disorders, multiple) etc...and we got our little miracles along the way. He also started to hear what he previously couldn't so that was also a huge blessing. My son has sensory deafness to different things, he doesn't have deafness all the time. My son has been enjoying being able to eat what he previously couldn't and now he has to go back to it, he is not happy about it. And yes it is about eating the simple, and it is about our troubles becoming blessings in this journey too. At present my skin is not itchy, did not soap or shampoo and it is soft now, will do an update about this, and how we are feeling about it.

We have good news is I talk to a person that works at a place that does laser treatments and they can help us with a lot of the sensitivities and allergies etc...and my son's fibromyalgia etc...along with what we are doing. I believe we are going to get through this. We can get into the laser treatment virtually straight away, so after we find out, that is where we are going to also be spending our time doing. They can even do things about the bacteria in my stomach, that I can't take medication for, so at least now I have an option that I can make use of. Where before there was no option and we constantly heard, sorry can't do anything about that. Now we have a healing way opened up to us.

These things can be awful, but when u know the truth, then things can be done about it, its no more hidden and u find out what u need to do and u just do it. I have come into this place and space now, which is a blessing. That is a huge gift,

I received a new art book today, so am really going to put some time into being creative as well and am looking forward to ballet as well.

Take Care

Peace 4 1

Nightingale8472 Rookie

Personally, I make a sugar scrub of just sugar (cane sugar... not baker's sugar, too fine, or raw sugar, too coarse, but just the plain sugar) and olive oil. It's fabulous for dry skin, and all natural and gluten free. I've found that if I use that regularly in the shower, I don't even need lotion.

A lot of commercial lotions use petroleum products as moisturizers, mainly because they're cheap, but these products are actually more drying, because they don't absorb into the skin. They just sit on top of the skin and coat it, because the molecules are too large for your skin to absorb. It makes your skin feel better temporarily, but dries it out more in the long run (that's why Open Original Shared Link are a horrible idea!) and makes your skin feel more dry. Olive oil is about the best moisturizer nature's created, and you can get it in bulk at Costco or another bulk discount store.

I just mix the olive oil and sugar together until it's more liquid than solid, and store it in mason jars in a cool, dark area, like under the sink. Sometimes I'll add a natural fragrance, like the ones from Open Original Shared Link. They're pure perfume oils and smell fabulous! And since they blend all their oils, they're happy to tell you if there are any allergens.

In a pinch, the Burts Bees almond milk hand creme is awesome too, and gluten free! The main ingredients are almond oil, water, beeswax and aloe, and the vitamin E is from a non-wheat source.

Archived