arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

How Long Does It Take For Villi To Regrow?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 hicupingandburping

hicupingandburping

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 08:14 PM

IF you spend 3 months eating non gluten stuff and your villi grows back? What if you ate some gluten stuff, does it take those 3 months again to come back????

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 emaegf

emaegf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 09:56 PM

It may take longer than 3 months for your system to heal depends on how long your Celiac has been active. Your need to maintain a gluten free diet for at least 6 months to 1 year to give your system time to heal. Even after healing your villi may not be back to 100%. Even after maintaining a gluten free diet anytime you eat gluten you will do dammage to your villi that may not heal again so it's not worth the risk.

#3 Lollie

Lollie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 10:18 AM

I agree. It took at least a year for my villi to "reactivate" after becoming gluten-free. If I accidently eat something with gluten, I have problems for at least 2 weeks after the incident. It is better to avoid the gluten!
tests inconclusive, diet conclusive January 2006

#4 Peace41

Peace41

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 06:30 PM

This is a useful post thanku for writing it.

For me I found out that it can take two years. I am not expecting short term healing because of also my trigger event experience I am going through and this has revealed the process
of healing for me, is going to be a very slow journey that is going to need a lot of patience. But in the end, healing is a possibility that I really didn't have before. Had Gerds and Ibs and other things for over twenty years.

Even if ur villi does come back, u need to maintain and live the diet anyway. My focus is now on, this is a new way of living and a new thing for me, that I must do for the rest of my life, so I can live with that. Because the alternative was worse that brought no true relief or healing. for me it has become a blessing.

Peace41

#5 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,533 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 08:19 AM

Of course this in one of those things with no pat answer. It all depends on the person, the amount of damage, what and how much you ate, and so on.

richard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: