This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How Long Before Iga Labs Normalize

Dannyfor zsuzy

Dannyfor zsuzy Newbie

My Daughter had blood work after constant constipation and short stature. She is 10 and was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes since age 2. In june of 2009 she had positive IGA of over 100( labs did not give exact number) had biopsy with negative result one month later. GI Doctor suggested to go on GLuten Free diet for 6 months and then re-test IGA. IN November of 09 we re-tested and had 164 IGA positve but she has no symptoms other then constipation. Is this normal?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Dannyfor zsuzy Newbie

My Daughter had blood work after constant constipation and short stature. She is 10 and was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes since age 2. In june of 2009 she had positive IGA of over 100( labs did not give exact number) had biopsy with negative result one month later. GI Doctor suggested to go on GLuten Free diet for 6 months and then re-test IGA. IN November of 09 we re-tested and had 164 IGA positve but she has no symptoms other then constipation. Is this normal?

Dannyfor zsuzy Newbie

I thought for sure I would get a couple responses for this in this forum. Unfortunatly my Doctor really couldnt tell me anything either. I'm new to Celiac and 164 seems like a huge number which is the reason for my concern.

OBXMom Explorer

I can certainly understand your concern, if you have been gluten free for 6 months and still have such a high number. My son started in the 200s, and after a year he was down to 60 - still not in the good range. It took another year to make it down into the safe single digits. Our GI doctor said that the higher the number is, the longer it can take to bring it down. This didn't make a lot of sense to me, I admit . . . From other posts here I have learned that sometimes it just can take a while to figure everything out - there can be so many sources of hidden gluten. There are also rare celiac individuals who do not improve on a gluten free diet. Has your daughter's constipation improved while on a gluten-free diet? Did she by any chance have a gowth spurt during that time, which would be a really good sign?

Dannyfor zsuzy Newbie

I can certainly understand your concern, if you have been gluten free for 6 months and still have such a high number. My son started in the 200s, and after a year he was down to 60 - still not in the good range. It took another year to make it down into the safe single digits. Our GI doctor said that the higher the number is, the longer it can take to bring it down. This didn't make a lot of sense to me, I admit . . . From other posts here I have learned that sometimes it just can take a while to figure everything out - there can be so many sources of hidden gluten. There are also rare celiac individuals who do not improve on a gluten free diet. Has your daughter's constipation improved while on a gluten-free diet? Did she by any chance have a gowth spurt during that time, which would be a really good sign?

Dannyfor zsuzy Newbie

Thank you so much for replying, we

OBXMom Explorer

Two inches growth in three months is awesome! I don't know whether thyroid treatments can result in this kind of growth, but celiac children who are treated can definitely have growth spurts. My son went from 25% in height to 50% within 6 months of diagnosis. His constipation did not go away right away, either, and he is still on miralax. He also has had to take several doses of miralax (by doctor recommendation) over a couple of long and miserable weekends to do a cleanout. It wasn't much fun, but he felt lots better afterwards.

The complexity of your situation makes things more difficult, for sure. Even without multiple autoimmune diseases, it can take a good while to figure everything out. Best of luck with everything.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived