#1 Peace41

Peace41

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 10:12 PM

Hello All,

I have a question if Chickens eat grains, then wouldn't that grain affect eggs and their meat, wouldn't what they
consume go through them? Wouldn't the gluten go through to their eggs and be in their meat?

Peace 4 1

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 sandsurfgirl

sandsurfgirl

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 10:46 PM

No. Gluten gets digested and eliminated by them.
Lots of doctors diagnosed me with lots of things including IBS, lactose intolerance, wheat intolerance, and quite a few of them threw up their hands in total confusion.

Had GI symptoms, allergy symptoms and unexplained illness my whole life.

Jan. 2010 Diagnosed celiac at the age of 40.
Ready to get well and get on with my life!

#3 Peace41

Peace41

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 12:14 AM

No. Gluten gets digested and eliminated by them.

Hello

I found our answer and I thought there was a problem with chicken and eggs.

I found also this quote in a gluten and dairy free brochure for people with autism spectrum disorders,

"Avoid grain-fed and milk-fed meat/ chicken/eggs"

here is the brochure from freedom foods

http://www.sonatural...Brochure v6.pdf

When all that mad cow disease came out, it was from contaminated grain, it can even go through milk and people can die from that.

Just because chickens can digest something, it still not just stays in the stomach and then bowels and out it goes, everything that
they consume goes through entire bodies, including blood streams, etc....and can affect eggs and their meet and organs. Also people write about what is fed to chickens can affect their eggs, so if they are fed gluten grain, then surely their eggs will be affected to.

Thanku for ur response I have to check this, because I am having problems with eggs and chicken and I think it is because
they are grain fed.

Peace 4 1

#4 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 01:00 AM

I do not know the answer to your question. But I do know that I cannot eat corn-fed beef, only free range grass-fed organic beef. I don't know if this is due to the corn, or to the antibiotics and hormones they feed the cattle in the feedlots. I also buy only free range eggs and organic chicken because I seem to be having problems with the lectins in gluten grains and corn and I want things to be as pure as possible (that includes the possibility of the problem being hormones and antibiotics again--it is impossible to divorce them at this point).
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 Peace41

Peace41

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 04:28 AM

I do not know the answer to your question. But I do know that I cannot eat corn-fed beef, only free range grass-fed organic beef. I don't know if this is due to the corn, or to the antibiotics and hormones they feed the cattle in the feedlots. I also buy only free range eggs and organic chicken because I seem to be having problems with the lectins in gluten grains and corn and I want things to be as pure as possible (that includes the possibility of the problem being hormones and antibiotics again--it is impossible to divorce them at this point).

Thanks Mushroom,

I am also going to be looking into grass feeding. My son and I are looking at getting chickens we have a huge yard, but would need to have a coop and then make an area just for them and we would need to feel better, but we are going to wait until we do our allergy tests, incase I have an intolerance to egg protein. W But I also am looking at buying grass fed meats. Haven't previously worried about the grain issue before, but now I have too. We live in an area that does have organics, its rural too, so we are hoping to find something that would suit our needs and yes without antibiotics and hormones as well.

Peace 4 1

#6 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 08:07 AM

Every grain, livestock, food and celiac expert I've heard of agrees that wheat-fed animals are no threat at all to people with celiac. Just look at the number of celiacs who eat them with no ill effect.

As for mad cow, passing a disease along to an animal through grain is an entirely different matter than whether gluten would make its way through to the meat. If the animal is infected with this disease, of course it can be passed along through milk or meat. They're not at all comparable.

richard

#7 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 08:46 AM

These animals have digestive systems which break down what they eat and convert it to energy and the building blocks that make up their body. No, there is not a concern of getting gluten from the animals that eat it.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#8 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 10:07 AM

You need to check your sources on Mad Cow. It is caused by prions which healthy animals get from eating parts of other affected animals which are added to their feed. It is not transmitted by grain.

#9 sandsurfgirl

sandsurfgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 01:29 PM

The gluten protein molecules are not going to pass into their bodies and muscle tissues intact so that you could get sick from it. If they are bothering you it's not because of gluten, it's an intolerance or allergy to them.

And the other poster was right. Mad cow disease is NOT caused by grains. Like they said, cows were being fed sick things that cows shouldn't be eating.

It's important to be careful not to spread misinformation because we are already limited so much in our diets. Anyone on the internet can write anything they want, but it doesn't mean it's true. You must check with reliable sources for your facts.
Lots of doctors diagnosed me with lots of things including IBS, lactose intolerance, wheat intolerance, and quite a few of them threw up their hands in total confusion.

Had GI symptoms, allergy symptoms and unexplained illness my whole life.

Jan. 2010 Diagnosed celiac at the age of 40.
Ready to get well and get on with my life!

#10 Elastigirl

Elastigirl

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 04:56 PM

Hello All,

I have a question if Chickens eat grains, then wouldn't that grain affect eggs and their meat, wouldn't what they
consume go through them? Wouldn't the gluten go through to their eggs and be in their meat?

Peace 4 1

I am finding the answer to be YES. My son can eat Foster Farms Chicken, but cannot eat Tyson. When I read that eating a diet of corn makes the foster farms chickens skin and sometimes feathers turn yellow...I began to wonder what Tyson chickens ate. I contacted them. They eat WHEAT. He bleeds when he eats Tyson..does NOT bleed when he eats FF. Proof enough for me....now to track down lunch meats from animals that are not GRAIN fed.

#11 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 05:42 PM

I am finding the answer to be YES. My son can eat Foster Farms Chicken, but cannot eat Tyson. When I read that eating a diet of corn makes the foster farms chickens skin and sometimes feathers turn yellow...I began to wonder what Tyson chickens ate. I contacted them. They eat WHEAT. He bleeds when he eats Tyson..does NOT bleed when he eats FF. Proof enough for me....now to track down lunch meats from animals that are not GRAIN fed.

What we react to is not always what we think it is. It could well be something else in the Tyson chicken since many seem to have problems with it. On the other hand, I am certainly not denying your son's negative reaction.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

#12 David in Seattle

David in Seattle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 06:06 PM

That's doesn't mean the gluten is getting INTO the meat in an intact form as a result of the animals having eaten it. Animal protein (e.g., that found in muscle) and the plant protein they eat (e.g., the compound gluten, which is made up of the proteins gliadin and glutenin) are entirely different. Animals break down plant matter in digestion to extract things like amino acids, which are then used by their bodies to built things like muscle. If your son is getting a gluten reaction from certain chicken it may well be because that chicken was fed wheat, BUT, the gluten most likely contaminated the meat from fecal contact and/or just from all the wheat dust/debris that is so abundant in the factory farms which use it. It gets all over the animal, some of it remains on their skin & feathers, and it then contaminates the wash which the carcasses pass through in processing, and thereby the meat itself. If Foster Farms uses only corn (if) then their product is likely just as contaminated with corn debris, but this isn't an issue because you don't have a problem with corn. Some say you can wash enough of this away when you get the meat into your kitchen, some say no, or that it depends on your individual sensitivity.

I'm glad though that you've found a product you and your family can use. I would be concerned that every single Foster facility uses no wheat, or even if they don't that they may not change to wheat at any time with no notice.

#13 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 06:56 PM

Did you actually contact Foster Farms to find out what they feed their chickens? Or just go by what you read?

nm -- I see they have a statement on their website.

Apparently Tyson adds antibiotic as well.

Edited by Jestgar, 01 April 2010 - 07:04 PM.

"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#14 Elastigirl

Elastigirl

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 12:52 PM

That's doesn't mean the gluten is getting INTO the meat in an intact form as a result of the animals having eaten it. Animal protein (e.g., that found in muscle) and the plant protein they eat (e.g., the compound gluten, which is made up of the proteins gliadin and glutenin) are entirely different. Animals break down plant matter in digestion to extract things like amino acids, which are then used by their bodies to built things like muscle. If your son is getting a gluten reaction from certain chicken it may well be because that chicken was fed wheat, BUT, the gluten most likely contaminated the meat from fecal contact and/or just from all the wheat dust/debris that is so abundant in the factory farms which use it. It gets all over the animal, some of it remains on their skin & feathers, and it then contaminates the wash which the carcasses pass through in processing, and thereby the meat itself. If Foster Farms uses only corn (if) then their product is likely just as contaminated with corn debris, but this isn't an issue because you don't have a problem with corn. Some say you can wash enough of this away when you get the meat into your kitchen, some say no, or that it depends on your individual sensitivity.

I'm glad though that you've found a product you and your family can use. I would be concerned that every single Foster facility uses no wheat, or even if they don't that they may not change to wheat at any time with no notice.

I'd be curious to your reasoning as to why the yellow from the corn transfered and was deposited into the skin and fat and feathers, if it were indeed all broken down an eliminated. Example: If we, as humans, eat enough garlic, our skin begins to smell like garlic. If we take large doeses of vit. b, the mosquitos smell it and they stay away. If our instestines are breaking down protiens and fats into small particles and they are beind distributed thorughout the blood stream, and depoisted into fats, muscle tissues, skin--then what's to keep the grain that animals are fed from doing the same thing? I'd love to have one of their chickens, properly washed and processed in a clean facility, tested. I think we might all be suprirsed at just what passes through, and what is indeed stored in the body.

#15 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 01:48 PM

In my almost ten years at this, I have never seen any credible evidence that meat of any kind ever contains gluten, unless it is added during processing. I've seen speculation and heard rumors, but never any actual credible evidence. Until I see evidence, I will not believe it.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: