27 replies to this topic

#16 cap6

cap6

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 07:33 PM

Thanks ~ will give your suggestion a try. I'm "tired" of needing 10+ hours of sleep! Don't have time. lol

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 kbjoseph

kbjoseph

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 05:27 AM

I too noticed at first that I began to remember my dreams more when I went gluten free. My dreams didn't disturb me, so I just enjoyed them and went on my way, so to speak. Perhaps you will find that to be the case for you as well, as time goes on. I do take 250 mg magnesium when I go to bed, that helps me drop right off. I do wake up early, usually about 4-5 am most mornings. Then I have coffee!! Best of luck--let us know how you're doing!
-Daisy

What type/brand of magnesium suppliment do you take? Can you get it at a normal pharmacy?

#18 baylissmeg

baylissmeg

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 06:16 AM

Hi

My parnter is a Coeliac and I just thought it was him. But raeding these messages about unusual dreams, maybe there is more to it.

He will often be awake 1 minute and then the next in a deep sleep, jumping his body as if the bullets are being shot into his chest. Another recurrent dream is that he is screaming at someone who is about to kill him!

He forgets about it in the morning, but at the time when i've wopen him up, we have a little chat about it, to calm him down.

Any thoughts?

meg

#19 up late

up late

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 11:52 PM

I have been gluten-free for 5 months and for the past 6 weeks or so I have been having bad dreams at least once a week or more. My spouse has to wake me as I am yelping in my sleep. Usually someone chasing me & I am trying to escape. Also I am so exhausted during the day even after sleeping 9 or 10 hours. I am usually ready for bed around 4:00 - I make myself wait till 9 or so. !! The "Honey are you ready for bed" at 4 in the afternoon gets me The Look! lol

Hi

My parnter is a Coeliac and I just thought it was him. But raeding these messages about unusual dreams, maybe there is more to it.

He will often be awake 1 minute and then the next in a deep sleep, jumping his body as if the bullets are being shot into his chest. Another recurrent dream is that he is screaming at someone who is about to kill him!

He forgets about it in the morning, but at the time when i've wopen him up, we have a little chat about it, to calm him down.

Any thoughts?

meg

I've been getting this for years, the nightmares, yelling, waking up, even sleepwalking, it's worse when I'm under stress or overtired. I got told I had PTSD :/ (combined with anxiety and odd sensations that went away gluten-free) I'm starting to think now it's not that at all.

#20 Melstar23

Melstar23

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 06:00 PM

Since going gluten free I have been remembering my dreams much more than I used to. Mostly they are nightmares so I thought that was why they were sticking in my mind. I never thought to connect it with my diet.

#21 waterlily_

waterlily_

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 04:54 PM

huh with me I'm having less nightmares and remembering dreams less. I wonder why? Interesting stuff. :D

#22 RebeccaLynn

RebeccaLynn

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 06:33 AM

Being a total newb to gluten-free living, I am SO happy to hear that is why my sleep is so messed up! I could sleep all day & night most days. I completely bonk at about 3:00pm and have to force myself to stay awake until 8 or 9. Though lately, I have gotten into the terrible habit of coma-crashing from 4-6pm. Then I am up until 1:00 am kicking myself and waking up super groggy in the morning. Not a good combination. I have just started taking B12 & Zinc and a multivitamin. I am hoping that my sleep levels out & I can get rested.
Dairy Free since 1997
Gluten Free Oct 2010

#23 sarawr

sarawr

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 01:34 AM

Since going gluten free, i find it really hard to wake up! Not so much because i'm tired, but i get into such a deep sleep, i often dont hear my alarm go off, and i can easily fall back into a long sleep!

Also i can remember my dreams very clearly the next day, and they seem more vivid then they used too. Often things that have occurred from the day before get into my dreams. i remember having long conversations in my dreams that muddle me when i wake up, as to what happened in the dream and real life!

#24 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 02:52 AM

Yes, it is often hard to figure out dreams from what actually happened. It is only when my dreams put two people together that I know would never have happened that I can say, Ahah!! a dream. But often the combinations are very interesting. My subconscious is much more creative than real life :o :lol:
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#25 sarawr

sarawr

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 04:53 AM

I get this even worse after drinking alcohol, i feel fairly sober until i go to sleep and then i have continued conversations with people in my dreams. so i wake up feeling muddled, drunk and confused about what happened!

#26 MLK

MLK

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 03:19 AM

For years I've had trouble sleeping. Tossing and turning, sweating, and nightmares that sometimes made me wake up so violently angry I'd leap out of bed growling and uttering nonsensical curses in a demon voice. I went gluten-free a month or 2 ago, and at first I really responded well; I could actually sleep at night. I actually didn't hear my boyfriend's alarm through my earplugs a few mornings! Bathroom, mood, and sleep issues got better, then I guess I started reacting to contamination, and I keep having issues.

I guess I got glutened again a few days ago, and I feel as hopeless and miserable as before. The dreams/nightmares feel like daydreams, like I'm not in deep sleep when they happen. It's like I am awake and conscious of tossing and turning the whole time, and I only know I was "asleep" because of the weird dreams.

I feel like I might be an extreme case, because I've been a vegetarian for 20 years, and if you are what you eat, my brain and nerves were mostly built from wheat protein. :(

#27 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 05:10 PM

For years I've had trouble sleeping. Tossing and turning, sweating, and nightmares that sometimes made me wake up so violently angry I'd leap out of bed growling and uttering nonsensical curses in a demon voice. I went gluten-free a month or 2 ago, and at first I really responded well; I could actually sleep at night. I actually didn't hear my boyfriend's alarm through my earplugs a few mornings! Bathroom, mood, and sleep issues got better, then I guess I started reacting to contamination, and I keep having issues.

I guess I got glutened again a few days ago, and I feel as hopeless and miserable as before. The dreams/nightmares feel like daydreams, like I'm not in deep sleep when they happen. It's like I am awake and conscious of tossing and turning the whole time, and I only know I was "asleep" because of the weird dreams.

I feel like I might be an extreme case, because I've been a vegetarian for 20 years, and if you are what you eat, my brain and nerves were mostly built from wheat protein. :(

I got glutened a few days ago too. That night, I slept normally. The night after, I didn't get one wink of sleep. (I tried relaxed breathing, meditation... everything.) The next night, I slept like a bear in hibernation. I'm wondering what tonight will bring.

Wishing everyone a good night's rest, B)
(That's me with my blinders on because of the full moon!)
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#28 Nireen

Nireen

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 03:39 AM

This is my first post, so far so good on the gluten free diet but I'm still getting the hang of it.

Since going gluten free two weeks ago I've had both positive and negative changes in my sleep habits (which have been one of my main concerns). Firstly I've been sleeping more deeply, however I've also been experiencing unusual dreams every night where I am getting in car accidents or being followed by people I need to kill. They're waking me up in a cold sweat and I believe leaving me to be exhaused through out the following day. Has anyone else experienced dreams similar to these? Is there anything that can be done to aleviate these (eat less of something, more of something, vit. etc?) Thanks for your help!

Hi, I have recently went gluten free (Two weeks now) I just wanted to let you know I too have been having strange dreams!!! Anxiety ridden one's too. Boy I tell you this is ruff go for me here, but I know this is the root of my issues and won't give up. I am exhausted from these dreams and not sleeping very well at all, but yet in some ways when I am sleeping it seems to be a deeper sleep. I read someplace that when we are dreaming we are in the deep stage of sleep, so this could be one of the positives to our dreaming? :-)
KathrynEmail me

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: