17 replies to this topic

#1 tabdegner

tabdegner

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 08:22 AM

I am trying to eat more whole, unprocessed foods and am having a horrible time with raw veggies -- very very painful trapped gas that lasts for hours or days. I'm aware that Beano has gluten, Gas-X does absolutely nothing for me and I'm running out of ideas for how to relieve the discomfort. Anyone here have any tips? I have an appointment for a checkup on Monday and am going to ask the dr. for a prescription. Any help?

I should add that I have no problem with beans, lentils, lettuce, or other foods -- just raw veggies.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 LoraW76

LoraW76

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 08:29 AM

I am trying to eat more whole, unprocessed foods and am having a horrible time with raw veggies -- very very painful trapped gas that lasts for hours or days. I'm aware that Beano has gluten, Gas-X does absolutely nothing for me and I'm running out of ideas for how to relieve the discomfort. Anyone here have any tips? I have an appointment for a checkup on Monday and am going to ask the dr. for a prescription. Any help?

I should add that I have no problem with beans, lentils, lettuce, or other foods -- just raw veggies.

Charcoal Caps are sold OTC at Walgreens and they help eliminate gas.

#3 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 08:53 AM

You could just cook your veggies. Some people find it helpful to avoid raw and just cook.
You could try a general digestive enzyme (look in a health food store). You can get papain (papaya enzyme) or a product with a mix of digestive enzymes. (No particular brand name - many companies make this sort of thing.)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#4 Erica1451

Erica1451

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 12:11 PM

Try Bean Zyme. It has the same active ingredient as Beano (alpha-galactosidase), but it's gluten free.

#5 jackay

jackay

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 03:58 PM

Try Bean Zyme. It has the same active ingredient as Beano (alpha-galactosidase), but it's gluten free.

Bean Zyme does contain cornstarch so if you react to corn, this could be a problem.

#6 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 06:32 AM

I would consider Beano gluten-free. From their FAQ page.

"The smallest amount of gluten that can be chemically detected in a product is 0.00016 percent. Results of our testing have shown that Beano contains less than 0.00016 percent gluten."

IOW, their testing could not detect gluten in Beano.

#7 tabdegner

tabdegner

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 04:58 PM

I would consider Beano gluten-free. From their FAQ page.

"The smallest amount of gluten that can be chemically detected in a product is 0.00016 percent. Results of our testing have shown that Beano contains less than 0.00016 percent gluten."

IOW, their testing could not detect gluten in Beano.

Wow, I didn't know that. I have looked at the label that says contains wheat, but could not find any questionable ingredients on the label. I really appreciate the replies. Gives me some options I haven't thought of!

#8 unsinkable777

unsinkable777

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 11:20 AM

I have been using Beano for about a week, unaware of the gluten-free/or-not controversy. It has been helping me with veggies. Now I read that Bean-zyme is gluten free, and would be better to use. However, since I also suffer from IBS, the sorbitol and mannitol in Bean-zyme would cause IBS symptoms (they are triggers). Sometimes I feel like I can't win for trying!! LOL!!

Why on earth would Bean-zyme need sweeteners in it?? I mean....What???
Does anyone know of a Gluten-free/IBS friendly type of digestive enzyme?

I wasn't diagnosed with Celiac until my late 50's, which is apparantly a sure fire recipe for IBS. I also have hypoglycemia (diagnosed 30 yrs ago through a 5 hour glucose tolerance test), and I can't help but wonder if they are all interconnected. I also have very bad acid reflux. Anyone else have the same cluster of digestive problems??

#9 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,240 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 11:36 AM

I have been using Beano for about a week, unaware of the gluten-free/or-not controversy. It has been helping me with veggies. Now I read that Bean-zyme is gluten free, and would be better to use. However, since I also suffer from IBS, the sorbitol and mannitol in Bean-zyme would cause IBS symptoms (they are triggers). Sometimes I feel like I can't win for trying!! LOL!!

Why on earth would Bean-zyme need sweeteners in it?? I mean....What???
Does anyone know of a Gluten-free/IBS friendly type of digestive enzyme?

I wasn't diagnosed with Celiac until my late 50's, which is apparantly a sure fire recipe for IBS. I also have hypoglycemia (diagnosed 30 yrs ago through a 5 hour glucose tolerance test), and I can't help but wonder if they are all interconnected. I also have very bad acid reflux. Anyone else have the same cluster of digestive problems??

Sounds like its gluten-free. They can't test any lower than that. Many tested & labelled gluten-free things are tested but they can't test for none. You could do this same test on a green bean from your garden & it would test as less than .00016

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#10 milkmommy

milkmommy

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 11:57 AM

Hi, I have no advice but want to let you know I'm in a similar situation..... I'm 32 and just diagnosed with celiac. I also have ibs, hypoglycemia.....along with other things. I really wonder if they are all related too!! They must be. I also really question the ibs diagnoses. The drs are missing something.
Melissa
1996- (mis)Diagnosed with IBS. Depression/Anxiety disorder
2003 - Chronic anemia of unknown origin
2007 - Miscarriage for unknown reasons, (?celiac related)
Feb 2011 - positive ttg
April 2011 - endoscopy positive with visable damage, (scalloping/decrease folds)
- Biopsy marsh 3, gastritis, (other things I cant understand lol)
April 20th 2011 - Gluten free

#11 unsinkable777

unsinkable777

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 03:19 PM

Hi Milkmommy,
Interesting to hear that you share this same cluster of problems. I was skeptical of the IBS diagnosis many years ago, but now I have pretty much a text book case of it. There is a great website for IBS:
www.helpforibs.com

I can't handle dairy products either, which is pretty common for Celiac/IBS. All my fruits and veggies (the easily digested ones ONLY) have to be cooked and pureed, so my diet gets more and more boring! I have totally given up red wine, coffee and pop, decaf tea and water are pretty much all I can drink. I only eat skinless white chicken and fish, so.........................it's getting pretty dull! LOL!!

Chack out that website. It is very helpful. I order the Tummy Fibre from them, and it is good stuff.

All the best!

karen

#12 unsinkable777

unsinkable777

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 03:22 PM

To Lovegrov and Kareng,
Thanks for the info on Beano. Sounds like it SHOULD be okay. I hope it is, and will try it again.
All the best,
karen

#13 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,240 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 03:26 PM

To Lovegrov and Kareng,
Thanks for the info on Beano. Sounds like it SHOULD be okay. I hope it is, and will try it again.
All the best,
karen

That post was over a year ago, so it's good to check for current info as products change. I just looked at the Beano site & it still had the same statement.
I looked at the post wrong & thought it was March of 2011.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#14 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 03:50 PM

And to further confuse the issue, I remember this recent thread on Beano
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#15 unsinkable777

unsinkable777

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 04:13 PM

And to further confuse the issue, I remember this recent thread on Beano

Oh boy, confusion is right! I will write to the Beano company and get a direct answer from their customer relations people. Sorry to have started such a fiasco
LOL!!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: