• Please log in to reply

17 replies to this topic

tabdegner

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 08:22 AM

I am trying to eat more whole, unprocessed foods and am having a horrible time with raw veggies -- very very painful trapped gas that lasts for hours or days. I'm aware that Beano has gluten, Gas-X does absolutely nothing for me and I'm running out of ideas for how to relieve the discomfort. Anyone here have any tips? I have an appointment for a checkup on Monday and am going to ask the dr. for a prescription. Any help?

I should add that I have no problem with beans, lentils, lettuce, or other foods -- just raw veggies.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

LoraW76

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 08:29 AM

I am trying to eat more whole, unprocessed foods and am having a horrible time with raw veggies -- very very painful trapped gas that lasts for hours or days. I'm aware that Beano has gluten, Gas-X does absolutely nothing for me and I'm running out of ideas for how to relieve the discomfort. Anyone here have any tips? I have an appointment for a checkup on Monday and am going to ask the dr. for a prescription. Any help?

I should add that I have no problem with beans, lentils, lettuce, or other foods -- just raw veggies.

Charcoal Caps are sold OTC at Walgreens and they help eliminate gas.

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 08:53 AM

You could just cook your veggies. Some people find it helpful to avoid raw and just cook.
You could try a general digestive enzyme (look in a health food store). You can get papain (papaya enzyme) or a product with a mix of digestive enzymes. (No particular brand name - many companies make this sort of thing.)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

Erica1451

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 12:11 PM

Try Bean Zyme. It has the same active ingredient as Beano (alpha-galactosidase), but it's gluten free.

jackay

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 03:58 PM

Try Bean Zyme. It has the same active ingredient as Beano (alpha-galactosidase), but it's gluten free.

Bean Zyme does contain cornstarch so if you react to corn, this could be a problem.

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 06:32 AM

I would consider Beano gluten-free. From their FAQ page.

"The smallest amount of gluten that can be chemically detected in a product is 0.00016 percent. Results of our testing have shown that Beano contains less than 0.00016 percent gluten."

IOW, their testing could not detect gluten in Beano.

tabdegner

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 04:58 PM

I would consider Beano gluten-free. From their FAQ page.

"The smallest amount of gluten that can be chemically detected in a product is 0.00016 percent. Results of our testing have shown that Beano contains less than 0.00016 percent gluten."

IOW, their testing could not detect gluten in Beano.

Wow, I didn't know that. I have looked at the label that says contains wheat, but could not find any questionable ingredients on the label. I really appreciate the replies. Gives me some options I haven't thought of!

unsinkable777

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 11:20 AM

I have been using Beano for about a week, unaware of the gluten-free/or-not controversy. It has been helping me with veggies. Now I read that Bean-zyme is gluten free, and would be better to use. However, since I also suffer from IBS, the sorbitol and mannitol in Bean-zyme would cause IBS symptoms (they are triggers). Sometimes I feel like I can't win for trying!! LOL!!

Why on earth would Bean-zyme need sweeteners in it?? I mean....What???
Does anyone know of a Gluten-free/IBS friendly type of digestive enzyme?

I wasn't diagnosed with Celiac until my late 50's, which is apparantly a sure fire recipe for IBS. I also have hypoglycemia (diagnosed 30 yrs ago through a 5 hour glucose tolerance test), and I can't help but wonder if they are all interconnected. I also have very bad acid reflux. Anyone else have the same cluster of digestive problems??

kareng

Kiss me! I'm Irish!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,557 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 11:36 AM

I have been using Beano for about a week, unaware of the gluten-free/or-not controversy. It has been helping me with veggies. Now I read that Bean-zyme is gluten free, and would be better to use. However, since I also suffer from IBS, the sorbitol and mannitol in Bean-zyme would cause IBS symptoms (they are triggers). Sometimes I feel like I can't win for trying!! LOL!!

Why on earth would Bean-zyme need sweeteners in it?? I mean....What???
Does anyone know of a Gluten-free/IBS friendly type of digestive enzyme?

I wasn't diagnosed with Celiac until my late 50's, which is apparantly a sure fire recipe for IBS. I also have hypoglycemia (diagnosed 30 yrs ago through a 5 hour glucose tolerance test), and I can't help but wonder if they are all interconnected. I also have very bad acid reflux. Anyone else have the same cluster of digestive problems??

Sounds like its gluten-free. They can't test any lower than that. Many tested & labelled gluten-free things are tested but they can't test for none. You could do this same test on a green bean from your garden & it would test as less than .00016

"We have always found the Irish a bit odd. They refuse to be English."

Winston Churchill

May your glass be ever full. May the roof over your head be always strong. And may you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you’re dead. 

music-on-st-patricks-day-smiley-emoticon

milkmommy

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 11:57 AM

Hi, I have no advice but want to let you know I'm in a similar situation..... I'm 32 and just diagnosed with celiac. I also have ibs, hypoglycemia.....along with other things. I really wonder if they are all related too!! They must be. I also really question the ibs diagnoses. The drs are missing something.
Melissa
1996- (mis)Diagnosed with IBS. Depression/Anxiety disorder
2003 - Chronic anemia of unknown origin
2007 - Miscarriage for unknown reasons, (?celiac related)
Feb 2011 - positive ttg
April 2011 - endoscopy positive with visable damage, (scalloping/decrease folds)
- Biopsy marsh 3, gastritis, (other things I cant understand lol)
April 20th 2011 - Gluten free

unsinkable777

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 03:19 PM

Hi Milkmommy,
Interesting to hear that you share this same cluster of problems. I was skeptical of the IBS diagnosis many years ago, but now I have pretty much a text book case of it. There is a great website for IBS:
www.helpforibs.com

I can't handle dairy products either, which is pretty common for Celiac/IBS. All my fruits and veggies (the easily digested ones ONLY) have to be cooked and pureed, so my diet gets more and more boring! I have totally given up red wine, coffee and pop, decaf tea and water are pretty much all I can drink. I only eat skinless white chicken and fish, so.........................it's getting pretty dull! LOL!!

Chack out that website. It is very helpful. I order the Tummy Fibre from them, and it is good stuff.

All the best!

karen

unsinkable777

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 03:22 PM

To Lovegrov and Kareng,
Thanks for the info on Beano. Sounds like it SHOULD be okay. I hope it is, and will try it again.
All the best,
karen

kareng

Kiss me! I'm Irish!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,557 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 03:26 PM

To Lovegrov and Kareng,
Thanks for the info on Beano. Sounds like it SHOULD be okay. I hope it is, and will try it again.
All the best,
karen

That post was over a year ago, so it's good to check for current info as products change. I just looked at the Beano site & it still had the same statement.
I looked at the post wrong & thought it was March of 2011.

"We have always found the Irish a bit odd. They refuse to be English."

Winston Churchill

May your glass be ever full. May the roof over your head be always strong. And may you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you’re dead. 

music-on-st-patricks-day-smiley-emoticon

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 03:50 PM

And to further confuse the issue, I remember this recent thread on Beano
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

unsinkable777

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 04:13 PM

And to further confuse the issue, I remember this recent thread on Beano

Oh boy, confusion is right! I will write to the Beano company and get a direct answer from their customer relations people. Sorry to have started such a fiasco
LOL!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: