13 replies to this topic

#1 Mac55

Mac55

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 11:32 AM

I found out I have Celiac about a month ago. In my research I read a bit about DH. I don't have it but my friend's daughter has unexplained hives. My friend is currently looking into the whole Celiac/Gluten Sensitivity thing as herself and many members of her family fit the bill in one way or another. Her daughter is almost 4 and is in remission from Leukemia. At first they thought the "rash" was Graft Vs. Host Disease (GVH). Anyway, she went to derm and was told they didn't need to biopsy as it was just hives. Can a dermatologist not get it right and think it's hives when it's DH? Has this happened to anyone here? Would they be able to look and tell without a doubt? I'm just concerned they're missing something. Thanks!

Megan
Diagnosed with Celiac through blood work Feb 2010
Gluten-free/dairy-free Feb 2010

Mom to 2 gluten sensitive boys

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 lovegrov

lovegrov

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 01:45 PM

In my experience the two are VERY different looking.

richard

#3 missy'smom

missy'smom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 04:08 PM

It seems that the first thing they should do is have the child tested for allergies.
Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11
Son: ADHD '06,
neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07
ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08
ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08
Gluten-free-Feb. '09
other food allergies

#4 Yup

Yup

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 06:09 PM

It seems that the first thing they should do is have the child tested for allergies.

If she were my daughter I would have her tested for Hashimotos Thyroidism.

#5 Mac55

Mac55

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 07:32 PM

Thanks for your replies. As I don't have DH I really don't know much about it. So it doesn't resemble hives?

I'm hoping they do get her tested for allergies. I know she has something up, just like I knew with my son. He definitely has a few allergies/sensitivities.

Miila's Mom, why would do suspect Thyroid? Does Hashimotos come with a rash or hives?

This friend is actually my best friend in the world. She's gone through so much with her daughter's Leukemia and her mom has cancer that keeps coming back. She also REALLY doesn't feel good and is stressed and moderately depressed. I try to do some leg-work for her when I can, as I know it just overwhelms her sometimes. I love researching and getting to the bottom of things. Thanks for the input!
Diagnosed with Celiac through blood work Feb 2010
Gluten-free/dairy-free Feb 2010

Mom to 2 gluten sensitive boys

#6 kprince

kprince

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 01:30 PM

I actually was just going to ask the same question if DH can look like hives? After I work out in the morning and/or if I do not get eough fluids, I tend to break out in rashed anywhere I put pressure ( so if I am sitting, it will be on teh back of my thighs etc.) It is VERY itchy and when I scratch them, they tend to turn into welts...but never blisters and they go away on their own after about 1 hour. I have been gluten-free for 1 year. Do I have DH?

#7 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,792 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 11:07 AM

I actually was just going to ask the same question if DH can look like hives? After I work out in the morning and/or if I do not get eough fluids, I tend to break out in rashed anywhere I put pressure ( so if I am sitting, it will be on teh back of my thighs etc.) It is VERY itchy and when I scratch them, they tend to turn into welts...but never blisters and they go away on their own after about 1 hour. I have been gluten-free for 1 year. Do I have DH?

This sounds like pressure urticaria or hives caused by pressure. Many who have this will also show signs of dermatographia, where if you lightly run a fingernail across your skin it will leave a red mark for quite a while. You might want to consult an allergist. Some will advise an antihistimine. Tell your doctor and ask them about it next time you see them.
DH usually presents as tiny fluid filled blisters that itch horribly and the scars they leave are a distinctive purpleish color and remain for a very long time. They are caused directly by consuming gluten for some of us even in very small amounts.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#8 kprince

kprince

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 01:53 PM

This sounds like pressure urticaria or hives caused by pressure. Many who have this will also show signs of dermatographia, where if you lightly run a fingernail across your skin it will leave a red mark for quite a while. You might want to consult an allergist. Some will advise an antihistimine. Tell your doctor and ask them about it next time you see them.
DH usually presents as tiny fluid filled blisters that itch horribly and the scars they leave are a distinctive purpleish color and remain for a very long time. They are caused directly by consuming gluten for some of us even in very small amounts.

HOLY COW!!! So I just did some research and I want to pull out some quotes that literally STOPPED me in my tracks
The cause of chronic urticaria is often hard to pinpoint. Although the cause is currently unknown, it is thought to be related to a person's own immune system triggering the reaction.

"Some types of chronic urticaria worsen with increased blood flow as a result of heat, exertion, emotional stress, alcoholic drinks, fever or hyperthyroidism." My rashes almost always apprear after working out.

"Some people get pressure urticaria on certain parts of the body as a result of the work they do." I do the recumbant bike for 45 minutes at the end of my workout and this is where the hives are (around my bottom)

"People with cholinergic urticaria get hives with heat, exercise or emotional stress. Small welts appear within a larger area of redness, often on the neck or upper chest." I almost never get it on my chest, but everything else was true.

I actually made an appointment with an allergist for next Thursday. Is tehre any sort of test I should have them do or any questions I should ask. I used to get so mad with my pediatrition when I would bring my son in with a cronic running nose and they were like,"Oh, it must be allergies." I always thought that was what they say when they do not know.

From the bottom of my heart THANK YOU!!!! for hopefully stearing me in the right direction-
Kathy

#9 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,792 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 02:48 AM

HOLY COW!!! So I just did some research and I want to pull out some quotes that literally STOPPED me in my tracks
The cause of chronic urticaria is often hard to pinpoint. Although the cause is currently unknown, it is thought to be related to a person's own immune system triggering the reaction.

"Some types of chronic urticaria worsen with increased blood flow as a result of heat, exertion, emotional stress, alcoholic drinks, fever or hyperthyroidism." My rashes almost always apprear after working out.

"Some people get pressure urticaria on certain parts of the body as a result of the work they do." I do the recumbant bike for 45 minutes at the end of my workout and this is where the hives are (around my bottom)

"People with cholinergic urticaria get hives with heat, exercise or emotional stress. Small welts appear within a larger area of redness, often on the neck or upper chest." I almost never get it on my chest, but everything else was true.

I actually made an appointment with an allergist for next Thursday. Is tehre any sort of test I should have them do or any questions I should ask. I used to get so mad with my pediatrition when I would bring my son in with a cronic running nose and they were like,"Oh, it must be allergies." I always thought that was what they say when they do not know.

From the bottom of my heart THANK YOU!!!! for hopefully stearing me in the right direction-
Kathy

I should have mentioned that prediagnosis I had this form of hives along with DH. I don't know which drove me nuts more. Both have gone away gluten free. So although they are different they could be coming from the same root cause.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#10 Hopeful1950

Hopeful1950

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 04:41 AM

I'd like to respond to the question about whether a dermatologist can "not get it right". You bet. In my experience of what appears to be a DH rash I have been told it was "stress eczema", that I was a "picker", and most recently I have given a medicine for bi-polar disorder! I consulted a psychiatrist at that point and he sent me to an allergist who is really looking at everything. The first doctor to do so in 6 years.

Encourage your friend's mom to get to a physician (maybe an experienced allergist) who will not give up until they have actually tested for the all the things that could be causing the child the problem. The allergist I am working ran tests for celiac, thyroid, allergies and a host of other things that might not be related to allergies at all so he can steer me in the right direction if he is unable to help. Skin testing is next.

Oh...and just a note, I work for 22 physicians and trust me their skill and patient care varies widely. Search and search until you find one who will take the time.

#11 Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 08:50 AM

All my life I've had unexplained hives. Haven't had any since going gluten free.
1960s-had symptoms-could have been before but don't remember
1970s-told had colitis or nervous stomach-was given phenobarbital, felt great but still had symptoms
Me, dd and ds diagnosed with Lactose Intolerance
2000-osteopenia
2001-had stroke because of medications I was given
June 2003-saw Chiropractor who specialized in nutrition: Celiac Disease not Lactose Intolerance, went gluten free with once in awhile cheating, off soy and dairy for about 6 months
June 2003-found excellent doctor for fibromyalgia (who has found out she has Celiac Disease)
May 2006-went gluten free with NO cheating-excellent! Made all the difference in the world

#12 kprince

kprince

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 10:31 AM

I'd like to respond to the question about whether a dermatologist can "not get it right". You bet. In my experience of what appears to be a DH rash I have been told it was "stress eczema", that I was a "picker", and most recently I have given a medicine for bi-polar disorder! I consulted a psychiatrist at that point and he sent me to an allergist who is really looking at everything. The first doctor to do so in 6 years.

Encourage your friend's mom to get to a physician (maybe an experienced allergist) who will not give up until they have actually tested for the all the things that could be causing the child the problem. The allergist I am working ran tests for celiac, thyroid, allergies and a host of other things that might not be related to allergies at all so he can steer me in the right direction if he is unable to help. Skin testing is next.

Oh...and just a note, I work for 22 physicians and trust me their skill and patient care varies widely. Search and search until you find one who will take the time.

This is so strange...I too have always ;labled myself a "picker" and recently I was told that I might be suffering from bi-polar II. They want to put me on an anti-seizure medication...do you mind letting me know the medication you are on?

#13 GretaJane

GretaJane

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 06:24 PM

Yes, rarely, DH can present as chronic hives!!! http://www.ncbi.nlm....ubmed/15461764/

#14 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 06:26 PM

Yes, rarely, DH can present as chronic hives!!! http://www.ncbi.nlm....ubmed/15461764/

Just an FYI, you are responding to a post from almost 4 years ago. I'm sure we have had a more recent discussion about DH and how it presents?

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: