This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Stopped Breastfeeding- Hair Is Falling Out!

kprince

kprince Apprentice

PLEASE HELP ME!!!! When my daughter turned 8 mnths we went to FL and I introduced food so her breastmilk intake went down ( I am asssuming). After 2 weeks, the entire consistency of my hair changed ( it seems like over night) and it looks as though half my hair is gone. I was loosing hairs here and there ( always had a strand hanging from my shirt, but it was like a lightbulb went off and I realized that something changed ( for the worse). I have literally gotten every test done and it was all normal. From all my thyroid numbers, to vitamine D...you name it. I have seen every kind of doctor and they are all saying that it is a mystery because everything looks fine...but the bottom line is that I am crying everyday and do not know what to do. I changed shampoos and am taking some fish oil suppliments, biosil, and Biotin, but I am begging my gluten-free family to help. I am totally gluten-free and have been for over a year. The problem is that I tend to eat the same things everyday ( although I eat very healthy). I know you loose hair after giving birth, but not after 1 year. I also have not gotten my period yet. SHould I try Rogain, Niotin, any suggestions...I really am so very depressed!!! THanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

TrillumHunter Enthusiast

I think you can still lose hair after a year, especially if you haven't gotten your period back yet. Your hormones aren't functioning fully yet and won't for a bit. It can take awhile after pregnancy and nursing for almost a year.

Does your family think you are losing hair? I'm not asking because I don't believe you, only sometimes I personally need a more objective opinion than my own.

Have you talked to a lactation consultant? I think someone like that might be able to put your mind at ease.

Hugs to you and enjoy your beautiful baby!

kprince Apprentice

I think you can still lose hair after a year, especially if you haven't gotten your period back yet. Your hormones aren't functioning fully yet and won't for a bit. It can take awhile after pregnancy and nursing for almost a year.

Does your family think you are losing hair? I'm not asking because I don't believe you, only sometimes I personally need a more objective opinion than my own.

Have you talked to a lactation consultant? I think someone like that might be able to put your mind at ease.

Hugs to you and enjoy your beautiful baby!

kprince Apprentice

I am hoping that it is still hormones, but it just seems so weird how it changed within 2 weeks. I mean, the whole texture of my hair when from being normal, to being so thin and truly just different. My family, in their most loving way, told me that they can see how my hair has changed. I guess my big question is that until I can figure this whole thing out, are their any products that might help me until everything gets straightened out? Thanks for your kind wqords...I am trying to stay positive, but it really just makes me so sad and as soon as I try to move on with my day and feel good, I see another hair on my shirt and it just knocks the wind out of me.

jackay Enthusiast

I suggest you have your thyroid checked.

Good luck! I'm sure you will find the reason why this is happening and it will turn around soon.

Roda Rising Star

Have your ferritin checked. My hair fell out when it was low. I also lost alot of hair postpartum due to excess thyroid hormone. When my meds were adjested it slowed down. The interesting thing for me was that after both of my pregnancies, my hair was falling out. When I got new hair growth my hair got more curly after each kid. Hormones are crazy things.

mommida Enthusiast

You've gotten advice that I agree with and you are taking vitamins that I would suggest too. :)

Get your thyroid checked again. After pregnancy your thyroid is supposed to go more to the hyper active side. Have you had night sweats? Skin changes?

Hang in there! Having a baby is worth all the hormonal distress. :D Listen to some nice relaxing music with your baby.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kprince Apprentice

You've gotten advice that I agree with and you are taking vitamins that I would suggest too. :)

Get your thyroid checked again. After pregnancy your thyroid is supposed to go more to the hyper active side. Have you had night sweats? Skin changes?

Hang in there! Having a baby is worth all the hormonal distress. :D Listen to some nice relaxing music with your baby.

Yes to the night sweats...when I actually sleep ( and it has nothing to do with the baby). I wake up after around 3 hours ( totally soaked) and ,for example, I was unable to fall back asleep for the rest of the night. I am starting to think I might be menapausal because these all seem like symptoms to me and I have not gotten my period...is that possible?

mommida Enthusiast

Get your thyroid checked.

Get a refferal to an endocronologist as not all thyroid disorders are easy to diagnose.

Any weight changes?

Any soreness in your neck?

Hoarse voice?

skin changes?

kprince Apprentice

My thyroid was fine...and I got every possible test done with my throid too...that was actually my first thought and I was banking on it being a problem, but it was fine. The only number a wee bot offf was my T3, but even thyroid if that was a bigger problem, the symptoms I am having are not related to that. At this point, I wish it was my thyroid so I would be able to treat it :( Thanks for the ideas though.

kprince Apprentice

Get your thyroid checked.

Get a refferal to an endocronologist as not all thyroid disorders are easy to diagnose.

Any weight changes?

Any soreness in your neck?

Hoarse voice?

skin changes?

I actually saw the head endocronologist at University of Chicago and he did ever test imaginable and he said my thyroid is fine...so I feel like I am running out of options.

dilettantesteph Collaborator

I didn't get my period back either while I was nursing. That is a good thing and decreases the chances of various cancers. Hair falling out is also normal, but it depends on how much is falling out. It sounds like you think it is serious, but could it be less so? LaLeche league can be very helpful with breastfeeding related issues. Some doctors don't have experience with people who breastfeed more than a few weeks.

tarnalberry Community Regular

You can also find doctors who specialize in JUST breastfeeding. They're rare, and tend to be pretty booked, but they're out there.

kprince Apprentice

I didn't get my period back either while I was nursing. That is a good thing and decreases the chances of various cancers. Hair falling out is also normal, but it depends on how much is falling out. It sounds like you think it is serious, but could it be less so? LaLeche league can be very helpful with breastfeeding related issues. Some doctors don't have experience with people who breastfeed more than a few weeks.

I didn't even think about talking with lactation consultants. Thanks for the great advice. I will contact some now :)

• 3 months later...
Chakra2 Contributor

This is a late reply maybe but I'm new to the forum. Just

thought I'd share my experience in case it could help. My hair did

some normal falling out around 4-5 months postpartum. It really changed

again though (thinning, dry, falling out) at about 15-16 months pp (still bf'ing at that point).

That time period for me was also when I was my most sick and just

learning about my gluten issues. Now my son is 2 and I'm actually

still bf'ing, and my hair is getting better!!!

Here's what I think helped me. . .

1. Going gluten-free, dairy-free, and especially soy free. My prenatals (that

I was still taking) had soy as did my fish oil. Dropping those sources

of soy really improved my hormones and my hair.

2. Switching to gluten-free and soy-free shampoo, conditioner and styling

products. They are hard to find but made a big difference for me.

This might sound crazy but most days I actually just use baking

soda and apple cider vinegar. No toxins at all! Or like tonight, I washed

my hair with baking soda (google "no poo" as in "no shampoo" and

you'll find lots of instructions), and then used California Baby conditioner.

I haven't felt so psyched about how my hair looks in months!!!

Hair is a small issue in the grand scheme of things, I know, but I

do feel better when I thnk I don't look like a sick person.

Hope you're doing better!

Chakra2

AshleeKim Newbie

Try to be not less than six hours of sleep a day, to develop regular sleep habits. Note that diet, eat protein-rich and trace element-rich foods, eat more vegetables, fruit, eat less fatty and high sugar foods. Also recommend to read "Myhairway" book, about hairloss

When you are pregnant your hormones+ prenatal vitamins cause a lot of hair to be in the growth phase, your nails will also grow as well as your skin color to look much healthier and rosier. After the baby is born, usually starting around 3 months I think, the hair is not growing so much because you are on the vitamins but the hormones are no longer there. Your hair will enter the resting phase and more hair falls out than is grown. It can last between the 3rd and 12th month of your baby's life but most mothers report by the 6th month their hair isn't falling out quite as much.

Thanks for your advise. Sometimes I use myhairway method as a scalp treatment. After using this for just 1 month I felt my hair is completely re-growth and there is a great improvement in my hair

Archived