20 replies to this topic

#1 Lagomom

Lagomom

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 10:10 AM

A call out to all on Hershey's Chocolate Syrup. Is it gluten-free? We're using Nesquik, but I prefer Hershey over Nestle.

TIA,

Libby.

Dx celiac disease 2002
Dx celiac disease 2002
Positive bloodwork/Positive endoscopy
Lupus SLE/OA/HH/Hypothyroidism
Muscular neuralgia
5 of 6 children Dx celiac disease 2002

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 10:42 AM

Hershey's is a brand like Kraft so all you have to do is check the label. If it doesn't say wheat, rye, barley, or oats right on the label then it is safe :D

I love Hershey's syrup :D
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#3 Lagomom

Lagomom

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 11:06 AM

Kaiti,

THANKS! I'm going to have my hubby check the Hershey bottle next shopping trip.

Libby.

Dx celiac disease 2002
Dx celiac disease 2002
Muscular neuralgia

#4 celiac3270

celiac3270

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 11:49 AM

Regular chocolate syrup is gluten-free...I've used it before and have a bottle in the house and it's gluten-free.

#5 plantime

plantime

My two handsome grandsons

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 12:59 PM

>drool<Hershey's chocolate syrup!>sssllluuurrrppp<
Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

#6 Guest_nini_*

Guest_nini_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2005 - 06:21 PM

Yup Regular Hershey's syrup is safe, I use it regularly.

#7 cdford

cdford

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 09:19 PM

For those of you who cannot have the soy that is often in these things, take a tablespoon or two of water and add to it a dash of salt, a tsp of cocoa, and 2 tsp of sugar. Heat them either in the microwave or on the stove until just boiling. Stir well. If you like your syrup really rich, add a little butter. This makes a great syrup for hot or cold chocolate milk. If you heat your milk, do not let it come to a boil. Last of all, add a drop or two of vanilla.

You can let the chocolate boil for an extra few seconds and it makes a good syrup to pour over ice cream. I like to thicken mine just a little with some powdered sugar when I use it for ice cream.

This is a regular around our house. If you are dairy intolerant, it also works with other non-dairy beverages.
Donna
South Georgia
9 yrs gluten-free
...also DH, fibromyalgia, neuropathy, osteopenia, hypothyroid...

After almost 10 years, I am doing soooo much better!

#8 plantime

plantime

My two handsome grandsons

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 05:44 AM

Thanks for the recipe, Donna! Always nice to know what else can be done to satisfy that chocolate tooth!
Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

#9 Lagomom

Lagomom

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 07:06 AM

Ok, you all. This is TOO much! AACCCKK!!!....CHOCOLATE!!! I'm hanging by the fingernails as it is....!!!

Libby.

Desparately wanting a Hershey bar :o

Dx celiac disease 2002 :
Dx celiac disease 2002
Muscular neuralgia

#10 Swimmy

Swimmy

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 03:33 PM

does anyone know if hershey's strawberry syrup is gluten free as well? I'm hesitant about the "artificial and natural flavors" listed and had a small reaction after having some today. I know the chocolate syrup is Gluten-free but are the other flavors Gluten-free as well?
Thanks!!

#11 rbh

rbh

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 07:30 PM

My understanding is that the Hershey's chocolate syrup is gluten free. However, at least as of a year ago, Hershey STOPPED saying that they disclosed all gluten, and started saying that they could not say whether the natural flavors in their products were derived from rye/barley/oats (my main concern would be barley, since they are required by law to disclose wheat, and I have never heard of rye or oats being a source of natural flavors. However barley, although unlikely to be in natural flavors without being disclosed, can be a source of natural flavors). There are a few items with natural flavors that they have verified as gluten free (e.g., as of last time I called, this included kisses and chocolate bars). Nestles, on the other hand, is still a company that labels for all gluten, not just wheat.

#12 Swimmy

Swimmy

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 10:40 AM

does anyone know if hershey's strawberry syrup is gluten free as well? I'm hesitant about the "artificial and natural flavors" listed and had a small reaction after having some today. I know the chocolate syrup is Gluten-free but are the other flavors Gluten-free as well?
Thanks!!

I just spoke with a Hershey's representative and they said that none of their artificial or natural flavors are derived from a gluten source. So I guess that means it's safe!

#13 cruelshoes

cruelshoes

We've heard nothing at all about the growing tomato menace..

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 11:02 AM

I just spoke with a Hershey's representative and they said that none of their artificial or natural flavors are derived from a gluten source. So I guess that means it's safe!

The statement Hersheys made to you today is in direct conflict with the statements they made to other members of the forum a few months ago (http://www.glutenfre...s...44350&st=33) They will not confirm or deny if their natural flavors contain gluten. Hersheys is not a reliable company.

Hersheys has tested some of their products for gluten content. The very short list is below. I still will not buy any Hersheys product until they say whether or not there is gluten in their natural flavors.

Hershey Products that are Gluten-Free and Were Tested*
Kisses - Milk chocolate
Hershey Bar and Hershey Almond Bar
Jolly Rancher hard candy and lolly pops
Hershey's Cocoa - plain unsweetened
Unsweetened Baking Chocolate Bar and Semi-Sweet Chocolate Bar
Hershey Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
Hershey Chocolate Syrup
-Colleen
Dx 8/05 via bloodwork and biopsy (total villous atrophy)
13-year old son Dx 11/05 via bloodwork and biopsy
Daughters (16 and 5) have tested negative via bloodwork

A woman is like a tea bag - you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water. - Eleanor Roosevelt

#14 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 12:17 PM

The statement Hersheys made to you today is in direct conflict with the statements they made to other members of the forum a few months ago (http://www.glutenfre...s...44350&st=33) They will not confirm or deny if their natural flavors contain gluten. Hersheys is not a reliable company.

Hersheys has tested some of their products for gluten content. The very short list is below. I still will not buy any Hersheys product until they say whether or not there is gluten in their natural flavors.

Hershey Products that are Gluten-Free and Were Tested*
Kisses - Milk chocolate
Hershey Bar and Hershey Almond Bar
Jolly Rancher hard candy and lolly pops
Hershey's Cocoa - plain unsweetened
Unsweetened Baking Chocolate Bar and Semi-Sweet Chocolate Bar
Hershey Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
Hershey Chocolate Syrup

EXACTLY!!!!! I alway will not purchase Hershey products.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#15 CeliacMom2008

CeliacMom2008

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 07:19 PM

When I called Hershey at Easter the rep I spoke with was really helpful. She went through every candy I gave her and told me gluten-free or not. It isn't as helpful as Wonka/Nestle who sent me a list and coupons (just received those today!), but my experience was very positive. I wonder if I just got a really friendly person...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: