Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Table Salt Turns Pink..any Chemists Out There?

• Please log in to reply

8 replies to this topic

#1 gabby

gabby

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 05:01 AM

Hi,
This isn't a gluten question...but I was hoping that any chemists out there could help me unravel a salt mystery! I'm in Croatia for a little while, and have been using a store-bought brand of regular iodized table salt which is also supposed to be sea salt. Yesterday, I sifted about a cup of the salt and noticed that these little square crystals were left behind in the sifter. I threw these square crystals out, and left the remaining salt in a clean and dry bowl on the counter. Now, 24 hours later, the salt has turned pink! Like a pastel-pink, with a little tiny bit actually turning dark purple.

Does anybody know what's happening?

Thanks for your help!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 06:33 AM

iodine and starch?
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#3 gabby

gabby

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 09:05 AM

Could be... I'll keep digging on this. I've used several boxes of this salt and never had this happen before..until I sifted out those square crystals. I'm guessing I sifted out something that keeps the iodine from reacting with other things.

I'm sure it is normal...just thought I'd check and see what's up!

#4 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,791 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 02:22 PM

Could be... I'll keep digging on this. I've used several boxes of this salt and never had this happen before..until I sifted out those square crystals. I'm guessing I sifted out something that keeps the iodine from reacting with other things.

I'm sure it is normal...just thought I'd check and see what's up!

I'm not so sure it's normal.I would call the company that made it and see if they can tell you what happened. I do know I wouldn't use it. Perhaps your local high school science teacher or someone at the Health Dept might have some idea.
There is pink salt but it is pink when you buy it.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#5 gabby

gabby

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 04:33 AM

I'll keep digging...and post a follow up. I've heard that it could be chlorine reacting with the iodine; I have noticed a distinct chlorine smell to the tap water lately (maybe they are adding more chlorine to the water due to the spring run-off of melting snow and ice). But I'll check it out.

thanks for your help!

#6 larry mac

larry mac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 07:02 AM

...... I'm in Croatia for a little while, and have been using a store-bought brand of regular iodized table salt which is also supposed to be sea salt......

Don't know much about Croatia, but over here table salt is absolutely the most inexpensive food item there is. Maybe bulk water is cheaper. I'd just throw it out and get some more.

Secondly, and again they may do things differently there, but here there is regular table salt, which contains iodine, and then there is sea salt, which is only pure sea salt. I've never heard of a salt being both. Perhaps they don't have immense underground salt deposits there and must use sea salt for everything.

best regards, lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa

#7 larry mac

larry mac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 12:50 PM

Just now I was at Walmart and lo & behold what did I see? Iodized sea salt!

What a coincidence. I wasn't even looking for salt. It just happenned to be on the shelf next to the sugar (which I needed) and I noticed it. There was regular sea salt, and the iodized sea salt. Both were in the old fashoined cylindrical salt containers, about 4-5 inches in diameter, and about 7-8 inches tall. Use to be sea salt only came in fancier containers. Maybe I just haven't kept up with salt advances in Walmart. It's something that last a very long time, and I hardly ever buy it.

Now margarita salt, that's a different story. I use a lot of it, and buy it all the time. :D

Anyway, I did buy some of the sea salt (un-iodized).

best regards, lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

#8 gabby

gabby

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 11:08 PM

I went looking for un-iodized sea salt...and couldn't find any. So I threw out the old box of salt, and bought a new one. It looks okay to me. I had been cooking broccoli and cauliflower the other day when I was using the 'pink' salt.....and I had the salt in a bowl so I could just add pinches of salt as I was cooking (sea salt is sticky). I probably got cauliflower juice or broccoli bits into the salt bowl and I'm guessing there was some sort of reaction from that.

I'm going to declare this case closed and move on. There's lots more interesting things to explore in this country besides the salt ;-)

thanks again!

#9 larry mac

larry mac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 05:51 AM

Thus the salt shaker was invented! :o

best regards,lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: