7 replies to this topic

#1 gintare519

gintare519

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 11:42 PM

Well I guess you can say I am a new celiac. Even though I have had it for years upon years. But recently diagnosed. So right now, I really want to make some sort of dessert. Like cookies or muffins or something for me to have as a snack. Also, thanks to my professor who educated me about the celiac disease, I kind of want to make a thank you type of food for him considering his wife is a celiac as well. I would love to try some recipes.
Please share as much as you can. I would highly appreciate it! :D

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 missy'smom

missy'smom

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 04:53 AM

I haven't tried this but ran across it a while back and thought it looked really good.
http://jeenaskitchen...ake-recipe.html

If you are up to adjusting recipes or mixes, EnerG has an egg replacer and flax can be used as an egg replacer. Things like coconut milk, almond milk etc. can be used in place of milk. There are many vegan tofu based "cheesecake" and pumpkin pie type recipes out there as well that could be easily adjusted to gluten-free if they aren't already. If you can't figure out a vegan crumb crust you can always used finely crushed nuts. Many fruit based desserts can be made too. Apple or other fruit crisp can be made with any old recipe-I use my pre gluten-free one, just substitute a gluten-free flour blend-I like a sorghum blend-and used Earthbalance in place of the butter or margarine. My recipe calls for oats so I use the gluten-free oats. Turns out just like the old one used to.
Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11
Son: ADHD '06,
neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07
ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08
ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08
Gluten-free-Feb. '09
other food allergies

#3 runningcrazy

runningcrazy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 05:58 AM

Well I guess you can say I am a new celiac. Even though I have had it for years upon years. But recently diagnosed. So right now, I really want to make some sort of dessert. Like cookies or muffins or something for me to have as a snack. Also, thanks to my professor who educated me about the celiac disease, I kind of want to make a thank you type of food for him considering his wife is a celiac as well. I would love to try some recipes.
Please share as much as you can. I would highly appreciate it! :D

Everything we make is a normal recipe with substitutes. Substitute flour w/ xanthan gum for wheat flour, almond, rice or coconut milk(depending on the recipe) for the milk, and earth balance for the butter. Eggs can be replaced with Energ-G egg replacer, flax dissolved in water, baking soda/vinegar/water combo, 1/2 banana mashed, etc. I will try to remember and post some vegan recipe desserts from my "vegan planet" book.
'You can't start building a better tomorrow if you wait until tomorrow to start building'

#4 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 10:30 PM

Have you tried chocolate avocado pudding? I am not a pudding lover, so I haven't. But it is purported to be good. Simply mix cocoa powder with mashed avocado and sweeten with agave nectar or whatever sweetener you use.

Fruit parfaits are easy to make. Simply layer sliced bananas and whatever berries you like in a parfait glass or a big bowl. For the sauce, use frozen orange juice concentrate that has been slightly thawed. Top with grated coconut.

Unsweetened canned pineapple makes a lovely frozen dessert. Flash freeze chunks of pineapple (place on cookie sheet and freeze until hard). Place the chunks in a blender and blend, adding as much of the reserved and chilled juice from the can to get the texture you want.

Fruit crisp is easy to make. We use sliced apples, but you can use berries, peaches, or any fruit you like. Place in a baking dish. Top with a mixture of 1/2 gluten-free oats and gluten-free flour, mixed with enough coconut oil and vegan brown sugar to make a crunchy topping. It's the sugar that makes it crunchy. Flavor with cinnamon if you like.

#5 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 08:05 AM

I like coconut milk yogurt.
Or just a piece of chocolate (dark). ;)
Fruit salads are good.
You can make crazy things like chocolate "pies" or strawberry "cheesecake" that are gluten free and vegan - raw food recipes will be a great resource here.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#6 Mskedi

Mskedi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 02:47 PM

My favorite vegan desserts are cornstarch chocolate pudding (I just use soy milk instead of milk -- there are recipes all over the internet for this one), banana bread (no need for the eggs -- just use some Ener-G egg replacer and substitute normal flour with your favorite gluten-free flour or blend), and mango and sticky rice (this one is naturally gluten-free and vegan! yay!).

I'm not a big dessert person, nor am I vegan (I am a vegetarian and I don't like eggs, though I'll eat them if they're part of something premade), but these three happen to meet your criteria and are delicious. :)

#7 sb2178

sb2178

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 09:50 PM

My favorite vegan desserts are cornstarch chocolate pudding (I just use soy milk instead of milk -- there are recipes all over the internet for this one), banana bread (no need for the eggs -- just use some Ener-G egg replacer and substitute normal flour with your favorite gluten-free flour or blend), and mango and sticky rice (this one is naturally gluten-free and vegan! yay!).

I'm not a big dessert person, nor am I vegan (I am a vegetarian and I don't like eggs, though I'll eat them if they're part of something premade), but these three happen to meet your criteria and are delicious. :)

I like a dense, wickedly rich variation of mark bittman's chocolate tofu pudding. take equal weights of soft silken tofu and high quality bittersweet or dark chocolate. Melt the chocolate (stirring frequently). Puree the tofu in a food processor or blender. Add the chocolate, and any additional flavors like cinnamon, rosewater, or citrus juice. thin to the desired consistency (usually about 1/3 to 1/2 c) with water, juice or your fake milk of choice. pour into small custard cups or jars and chill. Optional: top with toasted, salted nuts or seeds.

I like to have about 3 oz servings, and they pack well for snacks if you use jars with tight lids. you can also make it with a 2:1 ration of tofu:chocolate for a milder flavor and healthier snack.

2/2010 Malabsorption becomes dramatically noticable
3/2010 Negative IgA EMA; negative IgA TTG
4/2010 Negative biopsy
5/2010 Elimination diet; symptoms begin to resolve on gluten-free diet round two (10 days)
5/2010 Diagnosed gluten sensitive based on weakly positive repeat IgA & IgG TTGs and dietary response; decline capsule endoscopy.

Now, what to do about my cookbook in progress? Make it gluten-free?

#8 Pac

Pac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 09:21 AM

I'm a meat eater, but I often use just oil with water instead of milk, and crushed flax seeds (sometimes soaked in hot water) instead of eggs. I'm mostly making up my own recepies on the spot and forget them soon after. For sweet cakes, banana can do similar job to eggs - just beat it up with fork the same way you would beat up egg yolks. I make ice-cream like that. - Put aprox 1cm layer of puffed rice in a flat dish (aluminium foil can do). Then make chocolate - mix pure cocoa powder with water and sugar in a pan and heat it up until it blend well (add water or cocoa/sugar as needed), let it cool down a little and pour over the rice, leave a little bit in the pan. Beat up bananas with fresh orange juice and pour it over the chocolate&rice layer, then decorate with the rest of chocolate & pieces of orange, sprinkle with crushed almonds. I make approx. 1.5-2cm layer of bananas over 1cm layer of chocolate/rice (I'm a chocolate lover). Sometimes I use mango instead of banana/orange, tastes better, costs more. :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: