This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Newly Diagnosed Learning To Cope In Wa State

verbiage

verbiage Newbie

After months of constant pain and unanswered questions I have to say I have bittersweet feelings about my celiac disease diagnosis which just happened on March 16th. Having to switch my way of life from the "stuff-your-face with gluten goodness" attitude to actually having to make a conscious decision about what I put in and even ON my body is nothing short of overwhelming. Is it normal to get all teary-eyed over a cupcake?

So making a 360 degree change in lifestyle I guess I am looking for any words of wisdom or tips & tricks of the trade...or anything at all. So far I haven't really found any community support groups or ways to link up with other young adults with celiac disease but if you know of anything in Tacoma Washington (or surrounding area) it would be much appreciated. its just nice to have someone to talk to that can level with you on having to make such drastic changes.

Whitney

hahasdfk@hotmail.com

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

celiac-mommy Collaborator

Hi Whitney!

I'm down in Vancouver, otherwise, I take you to coffee so we could chat! I understand what you're going through and I know you will get all the support you could possibly need here at this site! How old are you and if you're living at home, is your family supportive? I've rediscovered a love of baking over the last few years. I see it as a great and fun challenge to come up with amazing recipes to rival any gluten one. I make gluten free (and vegan!!) chocolate cupcakes that can kick any regular cupcake's arse :P

Do you have any other sensitivities or allergies?

Whatever you need, we're here for you!

• 1 month later...
LovingLife7 Newbie

After months of constant pain and unanswered questions I have to say I have bittersweet feelings about my celiac disease diagnosis which just happened on March 16th. Having to switch my way of life from the "stuff-your-face with gluten goodness" attitude to actually having to make a conscious decision about what I put in and even ON my body is nothing short of overwhelming. Is it normal to get all teary-eyed over a cupcake?

So making a 360 degree change in lifestyle I guess I am looking for any words of wisdom or tips & tricks of the trade...or anything at all. So far I haven't really found any community support groups or ways to link up with other young adults with celiac disease but if you know of anything in Tacoma Washington (or surrounding area) it would be much appreciated. its just nice to have someone to talk to that can level with you on having to make such drastic changes.

Whitney

hahasdfk@hotmail.com

Whitney,

Hi! I am in the same exact boat as you. I have gone years now with horrible stomach pain, nausea and unanswered questions and I live in Seattle :). How old are you/what school do you go to? I am a senior in high school but i will be going to SPU next year. I just got diagnosed correctly (finally!) with Celiac in January, so I am new to this too. It is really hard the first few months but I have to admit that it is getting easier and is just so worth it to feel GOOD for once. I would love to help you out with the few tips I have(me being a newby still) and chat more. It will take you a while to get used to not eating gluten, and mostly the biggest challenge for me is staying away from hidden gluten in foods that you would never expect. Such as the grilled chicken from QFC that i used to always eat, they inject it with wheat! How weird is that? Anyways I look forward to hearing back from you, everything will feel better soon :).

-Shannon

Generic Apprentice

I know this is the teen section, but I had to speak up. I used to live in Tacoma, so I know a few food places that might be helpful to you. I too was a teen celiac, I was diagnosed over 20 years ago, back then things really sucked!

Besides the normal places that have gluten-free menus. (outback, chevys, chillis) There is a place called Woody's on Dock street that has a gluten-free menu. Rumor has it that there is a place at the freight house square that carries gluten-free baked goods. Most Garlic Jim's pizza places have a gluten-free pizza (I know for sure there is one in Lakewood). Fred Meyers carries some gluten-free foods in their health food section. There is or used to be a store in Spanaway called the acorn pantry. They are a gluten-free store if they are still there. Marlene's Market has some gluten-free stuff as well and you might be able to find a support group thru them. If you can make a road trip to Mountlake Terrace (Just North of Seattle) there is a huge health food store called Manna Mills that is about 80% gluten free.

Oh and by the way Betty Crocker now has gluten-free brownies, chocolate chip cookies, and cake mixes. They are usually with the normal betty crocker stuff. Albertson and safeway tend to have them.

Generic Apprentice

I forgot there is also a place in Kent called Hailey's Bakery. They are 100% gluten-free baked goods.

Lycopene Rookie

I live sort of near you! I live in Kirkland. [: We could easily meet up for coffee some time if you'd like. Either that or just chat online. [:

But I've been diagnosed for nearly a year, I just haven't held to the diet until recently, so I definitely know what you're going through.

Oh, I am moving to Georgia soon, so... if you do want to meet up it'll have to be relatively soon. ]: I'll email you. [:

• 1 month later...
zombietommie Newbie

I'm near Seattle, and I finally figured out the answers to all my pain in August!

More stuff has come up for me, however, more recently!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived