5 replies to this topic

#1 tobie

tobie

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 06:17 PM

anyone else have constant rumbling, gurgling noise in the their stomach? I've been gluten free for 1 yr, and the persisten noise is so embarassing..I was sitting down at the library a few days ago, it was quiet and all i could hear was my stomach :( so embarassing...i am also lactose intolerant..i keep wondering what is causing the noise..is it getting glutened..is it the intestines healing? My TTG iga are still not quite normal at 46...But they were at 201 when i was diagnosed last yr..so theres some improvement :)
29 yo female living in Canada
symptomatic x15 yrs, misdiagnosed as IBS, stress
iron deficiency anemia x 10 yrs
march '09 TTG iga 201 - the MD who tested is forever my hero ;)
april '09 confirmed celiac via endoscopy + biopsy
march '10 TTG iga 46..still symptomatic but energy level very much improved, becoming discouraged by persistent D
new symptoms appeared post gluten-free diet: dry eyes/ mouth, excessive bruising, intense itching all over body
negative sjogrens antibodies, negative lower lip biopsy, despite persistent dry eyes/ mouth Sx --> inconclusive as per MDs..
no family Hx of celiac (both parents + brother = tested negative)
great granny type 1 diabetic

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Wolicki

Wolicki

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 07:09 PM

I was having the same issue. Sounded like a party going on in my insides- all the time. Turned out I had low stomach acid and not enough enzymes. Now supplementing with Betaine HCL before meals and enzymes after.
It's very quiet inside now :D
Gluten free is not so bad! If you are new, hang it there, it gets easier!

#3 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 07:29 PM

I've been gluten-free for going on 5 years now and I still get a rumbling stomach when I've eaten something that doesn't agree with me. It can go on for quite a while.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#4 FMcGee

FMcGee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 04:11 AM

Are you eating any foods (or chewing gum) that contains sugar alcohols, like xylitol or sorbitol (there are others, I believe they all end in -tol)? Sugar alcohols will mess up the balance in your large intestine and causes that rumbling in me every time I have them. I cut them out of my diet altogether, and the rumbling stopped. Look for sugar-free versions of things as your primary culprit. They're horrifyingly bad for you anyway, so it can't hurt to eliminate them if you're consuming them but they're not the source of the rumbling. Good luck!

#5 tobie

tobie

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 05:22 AM

Are you eating any foods (or chewing gum) that contains sugar alcohols, like xylitol or sorbitol (there are others, I believe they all end in -tol)? Sugar alcohols will mess up the balance in your large intestine and causes that rumbling in me every time I have them. I cut them out of my diet altogether, and the rumbling stopped. Look for sugar-free versions of things as your primary culprit. They're horrifyingly bad for you anyway, so it can't hurt to eliminate them if you're consuming them but they're not the source of the rumbling. Good luck!

thx everyone for all your replies! from what i gather, it may not necessarily always be gluten as the culprit ...i actually havent chewed gum in a yr, believe it or not! so it cant be that...however, i will look into sorbitol and xylitol..
I have done a food diary and have narrowed it down to glucose/ fructose which i absolutely cannot tolerate :( It seems that the more my bowels heal, the least i can tolerate carbs...For example, i did an experiment last wk, where i ate nothing for 10 hrs and broke my fast with a plain orange and a banana (definitely no gluten there!) and my bowels started playing vivaldi like an orchestra..(rumble, rumble, girgle, girgle etc..!!!) :(
29 yo female living in Canada
symptomatic x15 yrs, misdiagnosed as IBS, stress
iron deficiency anemia x 10 yrs
march '09 TTG iga 201 - the MD who tested is forever my hero ;)
april '09 confirmed celiac via endoscopy + biopsy
march '10 TTG iga 46..still symptomatic but energy level very much improved, becoming discouraged by persistent D
new symptoms appeared post gluten-free diet: dry eyes/ mouth, excessive bruising, intense itching all over body
negative sjogrens antibodies, negative lower lip biopsy, despite persistent dry eyes/ mouth Sx --> inconclusive as per MDs..
no family Hx of celiac (both parents + brother = tested negative)
great granny type 1 diabetic

#6 redsidekick

redsidekick

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 03:58 PM

I have expereinced the same issues. Was not an initial symptom of mine, but the rumbles began happening about 1 month into being gluten free. Some weeks are worse then others. Usually happens to me when I wake up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: