Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Constant Rumbling Stomach

6 posts in this topic

anyone else have constant rumbling, gurgling noise in the their stomach? I've been gluten free for 1 yr, and the persisten noise is so embarassing..I was sitting down at the library a few days ago, it was quiet and all i could hear was my stomach :( so embarassing...i am also lactose intolerant..i keep wondering what is causing the noise..is it getting glutened..is it the intestines healing? My TTG iga are still not quite normal at 46...But they were at 201 when i was diagnosed last yr..so theres some improvement :)

Ads by Google:

I was having the same issue. Sounded like a party going on in my insides- all the time. Turned out I had low stomach acid and not enough enzymes. Now supplementing with Betaine HCL before meals and enzymes after.

It's very quiet inside now :D

I've been gluten-free for going on 5 years now and I still get a rumbling stomach when I've eaten something that doesn't agree with me. It can go on for quite a while.

Are you eating any foods (or chewing gum) that contains sugar alcohols, like xylitol or sorbitol (there are others, I believe they all end in -tol)? Sugar alcohols will mess up the balance in your large intestine and causes that rumbling in me every time I have them. I cut them out of my diet altogether, and the rumbling stopped. Look for sugar-free versions of things as your primary culprit. They're horrifyingly bad for you anyway, so it can't hurt to eliminate them if you're consuming them but they're not the source of the rumbling. Good luck!

Are you eating any foods (or chewing gum) that contains sugar alcohols, like xylitol or sorbitol (there are others, I believe they all end in -tol)? Sugar alcohols will mess up the balance in your large intestine and causes that rumbling in me every time I have them. I cut them out of my diet altogether, and the rumbling stopped. Look for sugar-free versions of things as your primary culprit. They're horrifyingly bad for you anyway, so it can't hurt to eliminate them if you're consuming them but they're not the source of the rumbling. Good luck!

thx everyone for all your replies! from what i gather, it may not necessarily always be gluten as the culprit ...i actually havent chewed gum in a yr, believe it or not! so it cant be that...however, i will look into sorbitol and xylitol..

I have done a food diary and have narrowed it down to glucose/ fructose which i absolutely cannot tolerate :( It seems that the more my bowels heal, the least i can tolerate carbs...For example, i did an experiment last wk, where i ate nothing for 10 hrs and broke my fast with a plain orange and a banana (definitely no gluten there!) and my bowels started playing vivaldi like an orchestra..(rumble, rumble, girgle, girgle etc..!!!) :(

I have expereinced the same issues. Was not an initial symptom of mine, but the rumbles began happening about 1 month into being gluten free. Some weeks are worse then others. Usually happens to me when I wake up.