9 replies to this topic

#1 Myooshka

Myooshka

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 07:36 AM

Hi there I am looking for the names of some good gluten free/dairy free cookbooks. I want ones that are more geared towards dinner and lunch ideas and recipes. I have an almost three year old who is suspected Celiac, is getting much better since gluten free, but I am running out of ideas for meals especially because dairy really bothers him too. If anyone can give me the names of some good cookbooks I would really appreciate it. Thanks, Mya

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 missy'smom

missy'smom

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 06:07 PM

Hi there I am looking for the names of some good gluten free/dairy free cookbooks. I want ones that are more geared towards dinner and lunch ideas and recipes. I have an almost three year old who is suspected Celiac, is getting much better since gluten free, but I am running out of ideas for meals especially because dairy really bothers him too. If anyone can give me the names of some good cookbooks I would really appreciate it. Thanks, Mya

Carol Fenster's "Gluten-free Quick and Easy" lists substitutes for ingredients to make the recipe Dairy-free. My son(11) likes the sorghum flour blend(that she uses) in baked goods. We use the pancake mix in the book, which adds convenience to my cooking for him. I don't know that all the recipes are palatable for a three year old, but three year olds differ in their palates. Anyway, you might want to check out her books and there are several. Are there specific type of products or recipes that you are looking for? Categories? snacks? breakfasts? etc. ? Maybe listing some would help us provide you with more recipes or sources. What kind of dishes or ingredients does you kiddo like? Many recipes can be adjusted to dairy-free with simple substitutes. Earthbalance Spread, tofu based "cheeses", coconut milk, almond or rice milk. Not all brands of these substitutes are gluten-free but there are many options out there. There are many, many blogs by moms with kids who are gluten-free/casein-free that are full of recipes.
Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11
Son: ADHD '06,
neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07
ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08
ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08
Gluten-free-Feb. '09
other food allergies

#3 Myooshka

Myooshka

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 08:05 PM

Carol Fenster's "Gluten-free Quick and Easy" lists substitutes for ingredients to make the recipe Dairy-free. My son(11) likes the sorghum flour blend(that she uses) in baked goods. We use the pancake mix in the book, which adds convenience to my cooking for him. I don't know that all the recipes are palatable for a three year old, but three year olds differ in their palates. Anyway, you might want to check out her books and there are several. Are there specific type of products or recipes that you are looking for? Categories? snacks? breakfasts? etc. ? Maybe listing some would help us provide you with more recipes or sources. What kind of dishes or ingredients does you kiddo like? Many recipes can be adjusted to dairy-free with simple substitutes. Earthbalance Spread, tofu based "cheeses", coconut milk, almond or rice milk. Not all brands of these substitutes are gluten-free but there are many options out there. There are many, many blogs by moms with kids who are gluten-free/casein-free that are full of recipes.

Thanks for the reply I will check these out. I did mention in my post I am looking for dinner and lunch ideas and recipes.

#4 Japsnoet

Japsnoet

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 08:04 PM

We cook heaps of Indian & Sri Lankan, Balinese, Thai and Vietnamese, Middle Eastern etc meals. A number of the recipes are naturally gluten & dairy free and also very child friendly. Have a look via google you will be amazed.

We also cow dairy, gluten, yeast, preservative free etc in our house. I tend to replace dairy in recipes with stock, nut milk, coconut milk or pear juice depending on the recipe. Iím not a big fan of replacing it with soy milk as I feel the baked goods taste odd to me. I have replaced cow milk cup for cup with nut milk and have had great results in recipes.

You can have a look at Wholefood by Jude Blereau http://www.wholefood...01-books01.html

The Tolerant Cook: The Allergy and Food Intolerance Cookbook by Tish Richardson http://www.intoleranz.com.au/

Hope the above helps.
Blessed to be a blessing

#5 lorka150

lorka150

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 05:47 PM

My cookbook, Mission in the Kitchen, is gluten-free and dairy-free. If you'd like more info, let me know or send me a pm.

Cheers!
Gluten-free, Vegan

#6 Japsnoet

Japsnoet

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 11:16 PM

You could possibly also have a look at Jean Duane she has a video on making Gluten-free Casein-free Kids' meals http://www.alternati...il.cfm?dvdid=15 I have her bake deliciously gluten free & dairy free cookbook and have been very happy with the results. I have yet to buy the Kids' meals video.
Blessed to be a blessing

#7 Mack the Knife

Mack the Knife

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 05:00 PM

Sue Shepherd's cookbooks are really good. I use several of her lunch idea on a regular basis.

http://shepherdworks.../category/books

#8 Mack the Knife

Mack the Knife

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 05:07 PM

These cook books are really good too.

http://www.judyoz.co...ecipe-book.html

http://www.judyoz.co...ecipe-book.html

#9 MoodyJulz

MoodyJulz

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 06:11 PM

I;m new to this and need help! I love to cook but the products in the co op or whole foods are so expensive and want to buy rice flour and such in bulk from the bins in the co op is that a bad idea? and what info can anyone give me because i am having a hard time finding these flours in the gluten-free sections they just have gluten-free flour and my cook book i bought calls for things separately

#10 lpellegr

lpellegr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 04:54 AM

You're going to have to spend some money, unfortunately, for some of these flours but if you shop around you might be able to find them cheaper in some places than others. No, don't buy from bulk bins because someone could have used the wheat flour scoop in the rice flour which would make it no longer gluten-free. Rice flour can be found cheapest at Asian grocery stores. Some things are cheap on Am__azon if you can get the shipping price down. Many stores are now carrying Bob's Red Mill products, but the price varies. In many cases you could probably total up all the cups of different flours in a recipe and replace it with a premade gluten-free flour mix - just check to see whether you need to add xanthan gum (that's expensive but a little goes a long way and you will need it).
Lee

I never liked bread anyway.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: