This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Should I Do?

jlp15515

jlp15515 Newbie

I have been feeling sick off and on for four years. Over the past 10 months I have had extreme dry/chapped/blistered lips. Nothing helped. This happened a few years ago and I stopped wearing lipstick which immediately helped. This time, nothing has worked. My sister suggested that I looked into a gluten allergy. Once I started looking into this it was like a light bulb went off in my head. I have the family indicators...my dad has colitis, several relatives on my mom's side of the family have auto-immune diseases. I also experience several of the symptoms.

I went to my doctor and she didn't know much about celiac disease. She did a panel and my results are as follows:

Immunoglobulin A - 120 mg/dL

Gliadin Peptide Antibody IgA - 1 unit

Gliadin Peptide Antibody IgG - 0 units

Tissue Transglutaminase Ab IgA - 0 units

Tissue Transglutaminase AB IgG - 0 EU

The doctor told me based on this I do not have celiac. I have been on a gluten free diet for four weeks and feel better than I have in a long time! I originally thought I would just continue with the diet, as at the end of the day that would be what the dr would tell me to do anyway.

This morning I met with a dietitian. She suggested that I still get the biopsey test. What should I do? I am so torn!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Wolicki Enthusiast

the thing is, gluten intolerance likely wont show up on a biopsy or blood test, but can still produce the same symptoms as celiac. It's up to you, but a biopsy may be negative, too. Many here consider a positive dietary response a conclusive diagnosis.

If you do decide to have a biopsy, go back on gluten for sure before the test. They say you have to have the equivalent of 3 slices of bread daily for at least 3 months for an accurate test.

jlp15515 Newbie

Thanks for the response. I should clarify...I was using gluten intolerance & celiace disease the same way. I know the are not the same though.

wschmucks Contributor

Thanks for the response. I should clarify...I was using gluten intolerance & celiace disease the same way. I know the are not the same though.

Yes-- very much NOT the same thing. To be honest since your anti-bodies are literally 0, I would say that a biopsy would be pretty useless. If anti-bodies were boarder line or something Id say do it. The biopsy test isnt the most fun to prep for or do. So if you feel better being gluten free, keep doing it and see if it keeps helping. Also for insurance purposes it really is better to be 'intolerant" than Celiac, meaning: no celiac means you dont have a pre-existing condition that keeps us from getting independent insurance coverage. Celiac patients often times are plagued by other health problems too, so its good it get out of those too! So really its a good thing! But keep gluten-free if you think youre intolerant, with time you'll know for sure if staying gluten-free is necessary for your health. Good Luck!

Archived