This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Substitutes For Bisquick And/or Ritz Crackers

kyga

kyga Rookie

I like to make casseroles, etc. that use Bisquick or Ritz crackers. I'm relatively new to the gluten free thing, and every time I think of making something, I have that moment where I hit my forehead and lament that I cannot make that item.

As far as Bisquick goes, I know there's gluten-free biscuit mix but would it still work if I didn't make biscuits with it but used it in a recipe for something else? Part of the reason I like Bisquick is that it's lower in fat and it seems like gluten-free biscuit mixes all involve shortening. Suggestions there?

I make a couple dishes that involve crumbled Ritz crackers. Any decent substitutes?

Thanks so much! You all are helping me through this adventure in cooking!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Wenmin Enthusiast

Never tried my hand at making biscuits, but for the ritz crackers, a good substitute is Glutino GLuten Free Crackers. I get the Cheddar Crackers, but there are several different kinds. These don't taste like cheddar, but they remind me of a similar version of Ritz. I use them to eat turkey/chicken salad, with salads, with peanut butter, etc. They can be found at Whole Foods.

Wenmin

curlyfries Contributor

Never tried my hand at making biscuits, but for the ritz crackers, a good substitute is Glutino GLuten Free Crackers. I get the Cheddar Crackers, but there are several different kinds. These don't taste like cheddar, but they remind me of a similar version of Ritz. I use them to eat turkey/chicken salad, with salads, with peanut butter, etc. They can be found at Whole Foods.

Wenmin

Kroger also has them. And I think Meijer does too. :unsure:

Darn210 Enthusiast

Depending on what you are using the bisquick for, you might try Pamela's Baking and Pancake Mix. They have a recipe for Bisquick-type biscuits. I've used it as a direct replacement for a cheeseburger pie recipe and thought it worked pretty well. It has xanthan and baking powder and salt, etc already in it . . . like the bisquick. There are also hints to help you figure out how to adjust your recipes when you use Pamela's that are worth reading.

Pamela's website recipe section: Open Original Shared Link

We also use the Glutino crackers . . . but they are pricey.

GFJanaHopper Newbie

Gluten-free Bisquick Mix

Darn210 Enthusiast

I make a couple dishes that involve crumbled Ritz crackers. Any decent substitutes?

Depending on what you are using them for . . . a cheaper alternative to the Glutino is crushed Corn or Rice Chex if you can toss them with some butter and seasonings (onion powder, salt, garlic powder, Italian spices, etc)

happygirl Collaborator
Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

radiantrapunzel1 Rookie

I like to make casseroles, etc. that use Bisquick or Ritz crackers. I'm relatively new to the gluten free thing, and every time I think of making something, I have that moment where I hit my forehead and lament that I cannot make that item.

As far as Bisquick goes, I know there's gluten-free biscuit mix but would it still work if I didn't make biscuits with it but used it in a recipe for something else? Part of the reason I like Bisquick is that it's lower in fat and it seems like gluten-free biscuit mixes all involve shortening. Suggestions there?

Thanks so much! You all are helping me through this adventure in cooking!

This tastes JUST LIKE RITZ. I let my "normal" husband and mom try them and they actually liked these better! Recipe is by Elizabeth Barbone. I highly recommend her cookbooks.

"Ritz-y gluten-free Crackers"

DRY STUFF:

1 1/4c white rice flour

1/2c cornstarch

1/4c sweet rice flour

1t salt

1t baking powder

1/2t xanthan gum

2 1/2T sugar

WET STUFF:

1/2 stick COLD butter, cut into 1/4" pieces

1 lg. egg

6T heavy cream (I used evap. milk)

3T melted butter to brush tops of crackers

Kosher salt, for sprinkling

1. Whisk dry ingredients together in lg. bowl

2. Using fingers or pastry cutter, cut in butter until mixture looks like a course meal.

3. In a separate bowl. mix together egg and cream until smooth. Pour egg mix over dry ingredients. Stir w/ a fork until dough forms a loose ball.

4. Using your hands, gather dough together and pat into a 1" thick disc. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for AT LEAST 1.5 hours.

5. Preheat oven to 425. Line 2 baking sheets w/ parchment. Dust a work surface lightly w/ rice flour. Roll dough out to 1/8" thick. Using a round cutter, cut out crackers. Place on baking sheets and prick all over with a fork. Press scraps together and repeat until all dough is used.

6. Bake first sheet for 6-7 min. Remove pan and carefully turn crackers over. Bake for an additional 4-6 min or until Ritz colored (golden brown).

7. Remove from oven and lightly brush w/ melted butter. Immediately sprinkle kosher salt over tops of crackers. Transfer to wire rack to cool. While first sheet cools, bake second sheet.

I use a cutter that looks just like a Ritz cracker, about 1.5" across and this recipe makes about 7 dz. crackers. You can use whatever cutter you want. I warn you: these things are addictive!

sa1937 Community Regular

I'm glad to hear good feedback on Elizabeth Barbone's Easy Gluten-Free Baking. I picked up this book on a whim as I needed to add something to my order to get free shipping.

She has a whole section at the end entitled "Tastes Like" that includes some very popular items like graham crackers, ginger snaps, Thin Mint GS Cookies, Oreos, Twinkies, vanilla wafers, saltines plus lots more. I haven't tried anything as I'm not yet gluten free but am looking forward to using the recipes from her book.

Have you tried any of her yeast bread recipes?

Juliebove Rising Star

The Scharr crackers that are sold on this site (and at other places) are very good. Our order came today. My only complaint with them is that they break easily. But that wouldn't matter if you're going to crush them up.

kyga Rookie

Thanks so much for all the helpful responses! I can't wait to try out the recipes and products.

radiantrapunzel1 Rookie

I'm glad to hear good feedback on Elizabeth Barbone's Easy Gluten-Free Baking. I picked up this book on a whim as I needed to add something to my order to get free shipping.

She has a whole section at the end entitled "Tastes Like" that includes some very popular items like graham crackers, ginger snaps, Thin Mint GS Cookies, Oreos, Twinkies, vanilla wafers, saltines plus lots more. I haven't tried anything as I'm not yet gluten free but am looking forward to using the recipes from her book.

Have you tried any of her yeast bread recipes?

I haven't tried the yeast breads...YET. EVERY recipe that I have tried in that book is AWESOME, except for one. The vanilla cake didn't turn out as good as my own recipe, but the others were FABULOUS. I've had to tweak a few things, though. For example, the Nilla Wafers: make them smaller than stated because they do indeed spread and cook just a tad longer. Other than that, I HIGHLY recommend the book.

sa1937 Community Regular

I'm glad I chose a good book with such favorable reviews.

I'm curious...has anyone here tried her yeast bread recipes? I really don't eat that much bread but you can bet your last dollar that when I go gluten free on April 9, that'll be the one thing I crave!

luvs2eat Collaborator

This tastes JUST LIKE RITZ. I let my "normal" husband and mom try them and they actually liked these better! Recipe is by Elizabeth Barbone. I highly recommend her cookbooks.

"Ritz-y gluten-free Crackers"

DRY STUFF:

1 1/4c white rice flour

1/2c cornstarch

1/4c sweet rice flour

1t salt

1t baking powder

1/2t xanthan gum

2 1/2T sugar

WET STUFF:

1/2 stick COLD butter, cut into 1/4" pieces

1 lg. egg

6T heavy cream (I used evap. milk)

3T melted butter to brush tops of crackers

Kosher salt, for sprinkling

1. Whisk dry ingredients together in lg. bowl

2. Using fingers or pastry cutter, cut in butter until mixture looks like a course meal.

3. In a separate bowl. mix together egg and cream until smooth. Pour egg mix over dry ingredients. Stir w/ a fork until dough forms a loose ball.

4. Using your hands, gather dough together and pat into a 1" thick disc. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for AT LEAST 1.5 hours.

5. Preheat oven to 425. Line 2 baking sheets w/ parchment. Dust a work surface lightly w/ rice flour. Roll dough out to 1/8" thick. Using a round cutter, cut out crackers. Place on baking sheets and prick all over with a fork. Press scraps together and repeat until all dough is used.

6. Bake first sheet for 6-7 min. Remove pan and carefully turn crackers over. Bake for an additional 4-6 min or until Ritz colored (golden brown).

7. Remove from oven and lightly brush w/ melted butter. Immediately sprinkle kosher salt over tops of crackers. Transfer to wire rack to cool. While first sheet cools, bake second sheet.

I use a cutter that looks just like a Ritz cracker, about 1.5" across and this recipe makes about 7 dz. crackers. You can use whatever cutter you want. I warn you: these things are addictive!

/quote]

Would it be easier to form the dough into a log and refigerate it and then cut thin cracker slices? I'm going to try it out!

• 6 months later...
Sweetheart Newbie

In this receipe... what does "t" mean... ie. 2 1/2 t of sugar or 3t of butter?

sa1937 Community Regular

ame='luvs2eat' date='27 March 2010 - 09:39 AM' timestamp='1269700793' post='601240']

I have that cookbook but haven't tried the recipe for "Ritz" crackers.

t = teaspoon(s)

T = tablespoon(s)

Hope this helps. smile.gif

MelindaLee Contributor

ame='luvs2eat' date='27 March 2010 - 09:39 AM' timestamp='1269700793' post='601240']

teaspoon

lbstudymom Newbie

I don't know if it was mentioned yet, but there is a gluten-free Bisquik as well as other gluten free mixes by Betty Crocker. We tried pancakes this past weekend and they were pretty good. We bought the brownie mix but haven't tried it yet. There are some great rice crackers we found at Costco, but I don't remember the name. They are in a white and blue package, sea salt flavor. Really yummy. Back to the Bisquik though, there is a recipe on the side for biscuits.

Archived