This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Ideas For Newbies/reference Topic

celiac3270

celiac3270 Collaborator

I was just thinking that on some boards they have what are called "sticky" topics--those that stay at the top of the first page no matter what and on some they have a "FAQ" section or a section for the most important threads that you can't post under, but under which you can read some good reference points. There has been dispute on the board lately about newbies--let's not go into that, but anyway, we could compile a concise, informative post, stick it under, say, coping, and have it include...basically, a newbie's guide to celiac disease: companies that list gluten, good products, testing information, links to forbidden ingredient lists, etc. We could include links and our suggestions, type it all up, edit it as a group, and then post it and if it can't be made "sticky" on this board, we could bump it every now and then to keep it at the top. Then, when someone makes one of those posts like "I'm new, confused, and don't know what to do...help me!" we can direct the person to a sort of celiac information thread and not upset anyone about posting the same thing all the time. Good idea? Let me hear your opinions and if you like it, we could start compiling links and information.

- celiac3270 B)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

I think thats a wonderful idea. I don't mind answering questions over and over but I think that would help alot of the newbies to have the info right there.

celiac3270 Collaborator

I don't either--but that way instead of having newbies constantly asking the same questions and people giving similar, but always slightly different answers, we could redirect them to that topic--and if they had other more specific questions, they could still ask about those under the thread they started.

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

yeah that would be a great idea..that would be a big help to them.What if we put another thread that said Information for Newbies or something like that.

I think you have a wonderful idea there celiac3270 :D

celiac3270 Collaborator

Yeah...let's make it in this thread, though, finalize it, and then I'll repost under post-diagnosis with a more appropriate name and such ;) ...any volunteers to help? :P:lol:

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

I would be glad to help...I know it will be alot to do...PM me or something and let me know if you need help and if so what you need help with. :D

angel-jd1 Community Regular

I think it would also help us out if topics/questions that were the same were merged together. I know when I was a moderator I would always put topics together that asked the same questions. That way we didn't have 400 threads asking about one product and things like that. It really saves wading through all the extra threads for the same info. Just a thought.

-Jessica :rolleyes:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ianm Apprentice

It would be a more efficient way to organize things. This group has really grown and there has been a lot of repetition of newbie questions. Somedays this makes it difficult to wade through all of the postings. It would also make it easier for the newbies to find their way around in the beginning.

cdford Contributor

During yesterday's research marathon, I came across at least one other site that had done something similar.

There was a simple explanation of celiac disease/DH, a listing of some of the more common symptoms and accompanying other diagnoses such as FMS, IBS, etc.

A quick, restaurant-card-like list of appropriate foods and things to steer clear of was in the next paragraph.

There were links to lists of gluten-free foods by type and brand.

There were also some quick and dirty instructions on using their site/board.

I was a tech writer by profession prior to becoming disabled. If you want to pass the info my way, I'll be happy to proof and format it. I like it when I can feel useful again. My specialty was computer instructions for the newbie. I'm sure I could do this justice as well.

jenvan Collaborator

You guys are great for spearheading this. What would we all do without this board? I would still probably be "eating" my wheat containing lipstick :P You all are the experts, but I am willing to help if there is something you need.

plantime Contributor
I think it would also help us out if topics/questions that were the same were merged together. I know when I was a moderator I would always put topics together that asked the same questions. That way we didn't have 400 threads asking about one product and things like that. It really saves wading through all the extra threads for the same info. Just a thought.

-Jessica :rolleyes:

There have been many times that I have wanted to merge a new topic with an older, existing one, but I haven't figured out how to do that.

This is a great idea, celiac3270. The only problem I see with it is the same as what we have now: new posters are not reading the existing threads. They just jump in with their questions, instead of reading what is already there. I read the entire board before I started posting, it even says to do that in the instructions when you log on. People are not exercising patience, they want answers now, so they don't take the time to look for it. I am willing to give it a try, though, and would love to help!

celiac3270 Collaborator

Well, I guess then we could reply with the link to the reference thread, and then say anything that we want to that's not already on there.

Scott Adams Grand Master

I hope that the new board will have such a feature, I'm still trying to find out but my developer is very busy. It is a really good idea though.

Scott

celiac3270 Collaborator

Great, keep us posted ;)

plantime Contributor

Someone will have to teach me how to post a link. I know it is supposed to be easy, once I learn how I will wonder why I didn't figure it out to begin with!

celiac3270 Collaborator

Two ways. First, if you type in Open Original Shared Link. (and then the webpage) it will automatically become a link...or you can click on the address of a page, go to edit, then copy, and then paste it into the post. The other option is to click the "http://" button, then paste the address of the webpage and give it a name (i.e. website on celiac and related disorders)

Guest BellyTimber

:rolleyes:

This "sticky" idea is a good idea if it can be done but in my opinion it needs to be put under "newcomers". If people go there not only do we know they are new, they know they are new. If they are jumping any guns we can invite them to slow down and tell us enough of their story that we know where they are coming from so we can give them straight answers to their questions.

I think we need to have a single section on pre-and post diagnosis and doctors all in one. I was left in a limbo for two and a half years that was neither pre nor post, that's why I asked questions in all the sections. One of the conference speakers I was speaking to says this happens rather a lot. It's only a few determined people like me that have made it on to a bulletin board in the circumstances so far but there will be more similar people in future.

"Coping" should be retitled "Continuing the Gluten-free Lifestyle" then that would remind us of the focus.

As to reading past threads, I think a help in that would be to advertise the "search" facility more prominently.

celiac3270 Collaborator

Good ideas...I use the search feature all the time, but I think most people don't even remember that it's there, since it isn't really advertised, like you said. I found out about it only by being curious when I arrived and basically clicking everything, lol :lol: .

I would have posted some links and stuff, but exams are looming <_<

Carriefaith Enthusiast

I use the search option sometimes before I post to make sure the topic has not been done before and I also use it to find out info. However, sometimes I find that the "search" finds irrelavant topics or brings up too much info.

celiac3270 Collaborator

There are many tools, though, to make it more efficient. First off, if you click more options, you can search by date range, user name, etc. Second, go to search and click advanced usage. If you want to find out, for example, if a peanut butter is gluten-free, but you don't want to get results about peanuts, but a + in front of it...that means that they won't give you a result unless it has butter in the post. So you might do:

+peanut +butter

There are others, just read it and you'll see what I mean

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Thanks celiac3270! I'll try that out!

BTW... I think that your idea is great! I think it would really help newbies that aren't sure how to use this site and don't know about the search option.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest GITRDONE

Hey, I resemble all of the above. If you need a guinea pig, that is a newbie, I will be more than happy to help.

I'm also not that computer savy. I think if you made it part of the "header/intro" to make easy for us impatient computer dummies.

I think this forum is awesome, you have answered alot of my ???

Thanks Susan

celiac3270 Collaborator

Yes, sorry. This topic kind of floated from an idea to create a new topic to discussion of more advanced use of the search feature. I could split the topic, making one half called "use of the search feature" and another remaining the same...

connole1056 Rookie

I agree that the search feature should be displayed a little differently. It seems that would cut down on some of what celiac3270 mentioned. The only drawback I forsee is that someone could take it as being unwelcome, or that their questions are not important. I do not think this is intentional because everyone here IS willing to answer questions, but I would worry someone new could take it that way. Of course after a few postings the person would see this was not true, but I thought I would throw it out there as something to consider. I guess it would depend on how it was worded. And you have come up with some really great titles/headings.

celiac3270 Collaborator

Good point...and there may be just too much to digest if we made a topic packed with information--that would be the same as going to any old celiac site and reading about it, only we'd be doing it again in our own words.

Archived