This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Newly Diagnosed (Birthday)

LizzM72

LizzM72 Newbie

This may sound petty, and I apologize in advance. I have been ill for 6 years, and constantly trying to watch what I eat. The one day a year I let myself enjoy is my birthday, which is Thursday.

Yesterday I was finally diagnosed with Celiac disease. I'm having difficulty processing this information, and I keep coming back to my birthday. I had my fiance cancel my cake, and honestly, I'm really down about it.

I guess it's just an adjustment period I need to go through and that's why I'm fixated on something so minor, but does anyone have any suggestions on things I can enjoy on Thursday?

Thank you so much.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

This may sound petty, and I apologize in advance. I have been ill for 6 years, and constantly trying to watch what I eat. The one day a year I let myself enjoy is my birthday, which is Thursday.

Yesterday I was finally diagnosed with Celiac disease. I'm having difficulty processing this information, and I keep coming back to my birthday. I had my fiance cancel my cake, and honestly, I'm really down about it.

I guess it's just an adjustment period I need to go through and that's why I'm fixated on something so minor, but does anyone have any suggestions on things I can enjoy on Thursday?

Thank you so much.

I'm new to this too. So far I've made Gluten free Pantry chocolate cake & Betty Crocker gluten-free brownies (at most groceries). I added extra choc chips to the brownies. They were good. To make them special, add vanilla or coffee ice cream & maybe some fudge sauce (check ingredients). I didn't notice if it says what city you live in but some have gluten-free bakeries. I get down about what I can't do sometimes but try to remmeber all the things I can do.

JuststartingoutinBrampton Newbie

Hi from Ontario.

I have gone to the states and bought the gluten free cake mixes from Betty Crocker. They are really good and you can not tell that there is anything different about them. To make a two layer cake you have to use two packages of mix so it gets expensive but for a birthday it makes sense.

I have made one layer and taken Jello chocolate and vanilla pudding along with cool whip and scor bar pieces and made Sex on the beach. ( a layered dessert) It is always a big hit when we have an occasion or company for dinner.

I hope this helps.

Lisa

mestamp='1269355607' post='600271']

Thank you so much.

kareng Grand Master

Hi from Ontario.

I have made one layer and taken Jello chocolate and vanilla pudding along with cool whip and scor bar pieces and made Sex on the beach. ( a layered dessert) It is always a big hit when we have an occasion or company for dinner.

I hope this helps.

Lisa

This sounds fabulous! Actually better then Sex on a beach as there is no annoying sand.

Takala Enthusiast

What you need to do is google

gluten free dallas, texas

and it will pull up MANY links to help you get started, from support clubs and websites in your area, to health food or specialty stores where you can shop for gluten free items.

Dallas Ft Worth area, Lone Star Celiac GIG Support Group

Open Original Shared Link

I'm not wild about Whole Foods (expensive, shelves set up to make you take longer shopping) but they are based in Austin, Texas and they have gluten free pre made in items in stock, at least in the freezer case. If I wanted a pre made gluten-free cake on short notice, that is where I would try first, if there wasn't a gluten-free bakery nearby. They just opened a new one in Dallas at Park Lane which is supposed to have a good gluten free selection.

If you are not into scratch baking, there are also lots of frozen gluten free treats available at some of the larger health food stores, if you don't have a gluten free bakery within driving distance.

There are enough alternative gluten free foods out there that you never need to feel deprived, it is just a matter of knowing where to shop. There are also an increasing number of restaurants that have gluten free items on their menus, so you can enjoy a meal out.

Reba32 Rookie

coconut flour is your friend :)

Chocolate cake

3/4 cup butter or coconut oil

1 cup cocoa powder

12 eggs

1/2 cup coconut milk or whole milk

1 1/2 cups sugar

1 tsp salt

1 tsp vanilla

1 cup sifted coconut flour

1 tsp baking powder

melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Mix in cocoa powder. Remove from heat and set aside. In a bowl mix together eggs, coconut milk, sugar, salt and vanilla. Stir in cocoa mixture. Combine coconut flour with baking powder and whisk into batter until there are no lumps. Pour batter into a greased 11x7x2 inch or 9x9x2 inch pan. Bake at 350F (175C) for 35 to 40 minutes or until knife inserted into centre comes out clean. Cool. Fill layers and cover top and sides of cake with frosting and enjoy your birthday! :)

you should be able to get coconut flour in health food stores or any well stocked grocery store.

C-Cubed Newbie

Happy Birthday, LizzM! I think you meant it was last Thursday, so hope it turned out great. I am brand new to this, too. This is my third week gluten free. I just wanted to congratulate you on your dedication!! When I got the confirmation from my biopsies, they called me on a Thursday after telling me they wouldn't have results until the next Monday. My whole family just decided we were going to "gluten it up" until Monday and we lived large that weekend! I think if I found out 3 days before my birthday, I would have just waited 3 more days to go gluten free! You're a strong woman! Hope the cake was delicious. Good luck going gluten free. Think how great you'll feel and how much more familiar you'll be on your next birthday!! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

purple Community Regular

This choc cake recipe is fantastic, I add 3/4 cup choc or pb chips:

Open Original Shared Link

You can make cupcakes and freeze them for a fast treat anytime!

Archived