Eggs

• Please log in to reply

27 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_talsop_*

Guest_talsop_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2005 - 02:04 AM

Hi all,
I am working on being gluten-free for a year and I have noticed that I can not eat fried eggs or scrambled eggs without getting deathly sick. Has anyone else had a problem since going gluten free with eggs or is it just my imagination?
Terri

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Guest_Leidenschaft_*

Guest_Leidenschaft_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2005 - 05:11 AM

Terri, what are your deathly sick symptoms? :blink:

I've not had anything that extreme and I can tolerate eggs a lot better since being gluten-free for over 1 year. Before going gluten-free I used to have occasional episodes where I would start to eat an egg, either fried or scrambled, and I would feel really nauseous and also felt like my throat would close up. I would have to stop eating and throw the rest away. The frustrating thing was I wouldn't know until after the first bite if I was going to be able to eat an egg that day or not! :unsure:

Weird! <_<

Anyone else with egg issues??

#3 plantime

plantime

My two handsome grandsons

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 06:33 AM

My egg issue is migraines! Hmmhmmhmm! Just a teeny-tiny bit that is in a tsp of Miracle Whip is all it takes to set me off. No eggs for me, I do not like being sick! I also can't have poultry meat, for the same reason.
Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

#4 Guest_gfinnebraska_*

Guest_gfinnebraska_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2005 - 06:59 AM

Could it be your pan and not the eggs?? Or the butter/oil you are using?? I would HATE to think you have an egg sensitivity... that would be horrible!! IF you are using a pan that was used with gluten containing foods, there could be residue left in it.

Hope you figure it out and it isn't the eggs!!! :(

#5 skbird

skbird

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 07:14 AM

I have times where I crave eggs and others when I can't stand the thought of them. Boiled eggs are usually ok for me, mayonaise has never been a problem. But scrambled or omlettes sometimes are really off-putting, also coddled (in a porcelain coddler, cooked in boiling water) will turn me off as well. Sometimes it's the combo of mushrooms and eggs - just the smell of that will make me nauseated, but others it will be a delicious breakfast. Like Leidenschaft - I won't know sometimes until I put the egg in my mouth.

I would suspect the frying pans for me but I have new ones. Also, this has plagued me for several years now, long before I went gluten free.

I have another friend who has similar reactions - sometimes eggs are great (esp. deviled eggs) but others they will make her gag.

It's an odd phenomenon.

Stephanie
Diagnosed by food challenge, 10/04
Gluten-free since 10/04
Gluten-sensitive genes: HLA-DQ 1,3 (Subtype 6,9)
Interstitial Cystitis, 7/07
Fibromyalgia, 6/11

#6 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,070 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 08:23 AM

Before I went gluten-free I used to have problems with eggs, or at least that's what it seemed. If I ate more than about one every three days, I had intestinal distress. Since going gluten-free, I no longer have trouble. But knowing what I do now, I'm not sure it was really the eggs that were the problem--maybe it was just all the gluten I was eating with them ;)
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#7 Guest_talsop_*

Guest_talsop_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2005 - 03:29 PM

Terri, what are your deathly sick symptoms?  :blink:

About 1/2 hr. after eating them I get a constant pain in my stomach right below your breast bone in the middle.
My stomach feels like it could exploded any minute. I get real bloated and very nauseated to where I feel like I could throw up. It usually last the whole day and all I can do is lay flat on my back. This sounds crazy but I have to where very low cut underwear (not my usual granny panies LOL) when that happens because anything that touches my stomach makes it worse. It feels like someone has blown my stomach up 10 inches.
Could it be colon problems and not gluten-free? I recently had a colonospy and it came back fine.
If so, why does it only bother me now after being gluten-free. I know its not cross contanimation because there is NOTHING in my house with gluten in it. I use Mazola pan spray not oil. Also I can eat bolied eggs or deviled eggs with no problems. Wierd.

#8 Guest_nini_*

Guest_nini_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2005 - 05:37 PM

funny you mention this... I ate a scrambled egg this morning and was nauseas all day long. I'm just now feeling like maybe I can eat something.

#9 bean

bean

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 07:56 PM

Eggs showed up on my allergy test - but I can't tell if anything is happening when I eat them. I'm seriously wondering if I have any feeling in my stomach... supposedly I'm allergic to lots of things but I can never tell! If it weren't for the ELISA allergy testing, I would have no clue!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Michelle :)

Positive blood tests 4/29/05 (tTG & IgA)
*Osteoporosis (at 32!)
*Heartburn/Reflux (*ouch!*)
*Lifelong battle w/depression
*Dental enamel didn't form right when I was little (cavities cavities cavities)
*Neuropsych analysis lists all sorts of learning disabilities - which may be attributed to brain injury from an old accident or may be from celiac, who knows!

Had biopsy May 11th, 2005 - villi are FLAT! :(
gluten-free since May 11th :)

#10 Guest_Leidenschaft_*

Guest_Leidenschaft_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2005 - 05:18 AM

Wow, so I'm not WEIRD afterall! :blink: :lol:

I had the skin scratch allergy testing last month (waste of money!!! :angry: ) but eggs did not show up as a problem. I also do not suspect gluten contamination since I get quite a different reaction from being "glutinated".

Eggs and cheese are GROSS, and I love mushrooms fried with my potatoes, but NOT my eggs! :blink:

They are a curious invention these eggies... my personal favourite are the Cadbury Mini Eggs! :wub: :lol:

#11 skbird

skbird

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 08:14 AM

Ha ha! I love Cadbury regular cream eggs....

There must be something about boiled/deviled versus fried/scrambled. That is the defining line for me. If the egg is cooked within its own shell, it is fine with me. It's just when it's cooked outside its shell that I may not tolerate it...

Stephanie
Gluten-free since 10/04
Fibromyalgia, 6/11

#12 huskers

huskers

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 10:04 AM

Tammy,

I have the same reaction. The constant pain right below the breast bone and the bloating. I would also like to know why they affect me this way and it seems like I have had this for about five years with it getting progressively worse. I avoid them as much as possible. I have found that if I take Aciphex it will relieve the symptoms to a bearable pain.

Marla

#13 skbird

skbird

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 02:21 PM

So over the weekend my husband gets up and makes breakfast - bacon and eggs. He asked if I wanted a scrambled egg and I couldn't decide - remembering this thread, but finally said sure. Then I got all excited about eating the eggs and bacon so I go in the kitchen, get one whif of the egg and feel like throwing up.

Believe it or not I ate the egg and was fine.

I don't understand eggs at all...

Stephanie
Gluten-free since 10/04
Fibromyalgia, 6/11

#14 bean

bean

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 02:29 PM

Maybe the good eggs come from chickens who eat quinoa and the bad ones come from chickens who eat wheat ..? :blink:

Anythings possible!! ;)

- Michelle :wub:

#15 gluteybooty

gluteybooty

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 02:46 PM

Talsop, I have exactly the same symptoms. Even down to the underwear problem. Also, I have been gluten free for about 15 months. Never had an egg problem before. Have not tried eating eggs boiled or deviled. Very strange. This is such a problem, though; I had to ask my doctor for pain meds in case it happens again. Pain so bad I wanted to die. Have you learned anything new about it?? Noticed any other patterns? What did your doctor say about it? Thank goodness I found this thread. Thought I was crazy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: