This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Really Tired At School

chasing4

chasing4 Rookie

My daughter was diagnosed a couple years ago and has been doing great. She's growing and not feeling sick all the time, but a couple months ago her teacher was telling me she's been very tired almost to the point of passing out. It normally starts happening about an hour or so before lunch, so we decided to send extra snacks with her to eat during that time and hopefully get her to be alert until lunch. But unfortunately this has not been working.

Could this be possibly related to Celiac? I originally didn't think it could be but now I'm really not sure since I can't think of anything else that could be causing this.

I do know that last week I caught her bringing glutened cookies home that she got from a friend on the bus, so I know she's been getting glutened every once in a while. :( I can usually tell when she's been glutened cause she comes home extremely irritable and I'm ready to pull my hair out. Been trying to talk to her to make her understand how bad she's gonna get sick if she keeps doing this, but I can tell she's still sneaking snacks she shouldn't be having.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Zane Newbie

My daughter was diagnosed a couple years ago and has been doing great. She's growing and not feeling sick all the time, but a couple months ago her teacher was telling me she's been very tired almost to the point of passing out. It normally starts happening about an hour or so before lunch, so we decided to send extra snacks with her to eat during that time and hopefully get her to be alert until lunch. But unfortunately this has not been working.

Could this be possibly related to Celiac? I originally didn't think it could be but now I'm really not sure since I can't think of anything else that could be causing this.

I do know that last week I caught her bringing glutened cookies home that she got from a friend on the bus, so I know she's been getting glutened every once in a while. :( I can usually tell when she's been glutened cause she comes home extremely irritable and I'm ready to pull my hair out. Been trying to talk to her to make her understand how bad she's gonna get sick if she keeps doing this, but I can tell she's still sneaking snacks she shouldn't be having.

It must be so hard to witness your baby hurting herself, but please consider her feelings too and how unfair it is that our kids can't eat normally like all the other children. My 9 year-old son's symptoms -severe stomach aches and itching- have convinced him to stay away from gluten because feeling that bad is just not worth it, you are lucky if your little girl doesn't have these severe symptoms(and I am by no means undermining fatigue) because it

affects their daily routine, school-work and play-time, but maybe that's why your daughter just doesn't think there's anything wrong with eating what she wants, perhaps her reasoning is that feeling tired is not that big deal. My advice would be to buy her some gluten free goodies (like Lucy's cookies from Starbucks) and gluten free ice cream from Whole Foods and eat them with her, you should keep talking to her about what gluten does to the intestines and that it could get worse and she might end up feeling really sick, and if all else fails; have the pediatrician or family doctor speak to her, good luck with everything!

GF Traveling Dude Newbie

Low vitamin D?

macocha Contributor

Is she on a daily multi-vitamin? my son is and has to take extra vitamin d for his is low. My son also experiences extreme fatigue, but I think I would have a doc talk to her about her sneaking food and what it is doing to her. helps coming from a 3rd party.

chasing4 Rookie

Thank you for responding. :) I will have our doc talk to her. When she was first diagnosed she would get extremely sick and vomit all the time. Once she was diagnosed and we changed her diet, all that stopped. Every so often she still gets sick like that when she sneaks a glutened snack, but thankfully not as bad as before. I hope our doc can get her to understand that everytime she eats even a little bit of something with gluten, she damages her intestines and will only make it worse again.

chasing4 Rookie

Sorry, forgot to add about the multivitamin. No,she's not on one at this time. I'll talk to the doc about that too today. Thanks again :)

kareng Grand Master

Sorry, forgot to add about the multivitamin. No,she's not on one at this time. I'll talk to the doc about that too today. Thanks again :)

My boys at that age shared "special" food (like some god-awful blue candy advertised on TV) at lunch. This was a friend making thing in grade school. Maybe some days she can share some of her cookies or pretzels or even normal candy. That way she is participating. Also, if I knew a kid in the group couldn't have something, I tried to send treats they all could have. Maybe if the parents knew, it would help? Think of it like a peanut allergy.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Wolicki Enthusiast

Have you had her iron and ferritin checked? I second giving her some great tasting safe snacks in her lunch.

chasing4 Rookie

Have you had her iron and ferritin checked? I second giving her some great tasting safe snacks in her lunch.

No, she hasn't had those tests yet. I have contacted our doc and we have an appointment next Monday. Hoping they can figure exactly what is going on and get her to feeling better again.

Archived