10 replies to this topic

#1 CeciliaCeliac

CeciliaCeliac

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 09:00 AM

Does anyone know if Hersheys or Smuckers Caramel Dessert Toppings are Gluten Free? I emailed Smuckers and never heard back and haven't found either of them listed in my shopping guide......I thought I would try here! Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Gemini

Gemini

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 11:15 AM

Does anyone know if Hersheys or Smuckers Caramel Dessert Toppings are Gluten Free? I emailed Smuckers and never heard back and haven't found either of them listed in my shopping guide......I thought I would try here! Thanks!

Generally, they do not contain gluten.....what does the label say? Shopping guides are a poor resource because things change so much and many are not current by the time they are published. I am not familiar with these brands of toppings but the ones I have bought were gluten-free. Is there an ingredient you are worried about?

#3 CeciliaCeliac

CeciliaCeliac

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 01:56 PM

I actually don't have one on hand to look at (the label) I remember trying them last year thinking they were ok, but then started having stomach issues. I have since discovered that my stomach issues were related to something else and wanted to try them again. You mentioned buying them yourself? Do you use another brand?
Thanks again.

T

Generally, they do not contain gluten.....what does the label say? Shopping guides are a poor resource because things change so much and many are not current by the time they are published. I am not familiar with these brands of toppings but the ones I have bought were gluten-free. Is there an ingredient you are worried about?

#4 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 05:35 AM

Never found one that isn't gluten-free. If it doesn't list wheat or malt, it's almost certainly gluten-free.

richard

#5 Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 07:20 AM

Took a few days to get a company reply but here it is:

March 30, 2010
Dear Friend,

Thank you for contacting The J.M. Smucker Company regarding gluten content. At this time there is no gluten in Smucker's Ice Cream Toppings except S'mores Magic Shell, Special Recipe Butterscotch Caramel, 3 Musketeers Sundae Syrup, Milky Way Topping and Twix Magic Shell.

Again, thank you for taking the time to contact us. If you should have further questions or need additional information, please visit our website at www.smuckers.com or contact us at 888-550-9555, Monday - Friday, 9:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. EST.

Sincerely,
Anna Williams
Consumer Relations Representative
Ref # 9049963
1960s-had symptoms-could have been before but don't remember
1970s-told had colitis or nervous stomach-was given phenobarbital, felt great but still had symptoms
Me, dd and ds diagnosed with Lactose Intolerance
2000-osteopenia
2001-had stroke because of medications I was given
June 2003-saw Chiropractor who specialized in nutrition: Celiac Disease not Lactose Intolerance, went gluten free with once in awhile cheating, off soy and dairy for about 6 months
June 2003-found excellent doctor for fibromyalgia (who has found out she has Celiac Disease)
May 2006-went gluten free with NO cheating-excellent! Made all the difference in the world

#6 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 09:01 AM

I actually don't have one on hand to look at (the label) I remember trying them last year thinking they were ok, but then started having stomach issues. I have since discovered that my stomach issues were related to something else and wanted to try them again. You mentioned buying them yourself? Do you use another brand?
Thanks again.

I cannot remember the brand name of the one I bought but it was sold in Whole Foods market, if that's any help. They have lots of gluten-free options so I do my food shopping there. Funny, I never look at brand names anymore as I concentrate on label reading for ingredients! :lol:

#7 CeciliaCeliac

CeciliaCeliac

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 04:00 PM

Yippee!!! That's great news.....thanks everyone!!!!!

#8 punkin513

punkin513

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 07:58 AM

Gemini, shopping guides are a great resource. For instance Gluten free grocery shopping guide by Matison & Matison is wonderful and the website has a update on any things that change gluten contents. Just saying

#9 kmarks

kmarks

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 06:11 AM

I just contacted Smuckers regarding their fat Free Caramel flavored topping and was told that it does contain barley. see response below:

Thank you for your inquiry regarding the presence of gluten in one of our Smucker's® products. For over 110 years, providing our customers and consumers with the highest quality products has been of paramount importance to The J.M. Smucker Company. Quality products begin with quality ingredients and we employ comprehensive procurement procedures to ensure our products contain only the finest ingredients from reputable suppliers.
The product for which you have requested information, Smucker's® Caramel Flavored Topping, contains gluten from barley.
It is important to note that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has not yet defined the term “gluten-free” or established rules for making a “gluten-free” claim on a food product. However, “gluten-free” claims are permitted and each manufacturer is responsible for determining whether or not its products are “gluten-free”.
The J.M. Smucker Company has established the following stringent criteria based on the FDA’s proposed rules for making “gluten-free” claims.
• Ingredient Screening - The ingredient cannot contain gluten sources such as wheat, rye, barley or their derivatives or hybrids. We also review for the presence of oats.
• Testing - While there is currently not a commercially available test to detect the presence of oats, the product must be tested to verify that it contains less than 20 parts per million of gluten.
• Manufacturing Procedures - In addition, facilities that manufacture verified “gluten-free” products must have a comprehensive gluten management program. All equipment used in the manufacture of products containing any gluten or oat source must be thoroughly cleaned prior to producing a product that is “gluten-free”. These procedures must be validated and inspected after each clean-up.
We would like to thank you for your inquiry regarding this product. If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us at 888-550-9555.
Sincerely,

Morgan
Ref # 9766568

#10 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,150 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:06 AM

I just contacted Smuckers regarding their fat Free Caramel flavored topping and was told that it does contain barley. see response below:

Thank you for your inquiry regarding the presence of gluten in one of our Smucker's® products. For over 110 years, providing our customers and consumers with the highest quality products has been of paramount importance to The J.M. Smucker Company. Quality products begin with quality ingredients and we employ comprehensive procurement procedures to ensure our products contain only the finest ingredients from reputable suppliers.
The product for which you have requested information, Smucker's® Caramel Flavored Topping, contains gluten from barley.
It is important to note that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has not yet defined the term “gluten-free” or established rules for making a “gluten-free” claim on a food product. However, “gluten-free” claims are permitted and each manufacturer is responsible for determining whether or not its products are “gluten-free”.
The J.M. Smucker Company has established the following stringent criteria based on the FDA’s proposed rules for making “gluten-free” claims.
• Ingredient Screening - The ingredient cannot contain gluten sources such as wheat, rye, barley or their derivatives or hybrids. We also review for the presence of oats.
• Testing - While there is currently not a commercially available test to detect the presence of oats, the product must be tested to verify that it contains less than 20 parts per million of gluten.
• Manufacturing Procedures - In addition, facilities that manufacture verified “gluten-free” products must have a comprehensive gluten management program. All equipment used in the manufacture of products containing any gluten or oat source must be thoroughly cleaned prior to producing a product that is “gluten-free”. These procedures must be validated and inspected after each clean-up.
We would like to thank you for your inquiry regarding this product. If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us at 888-550-9555.
Sincerely,

Morgan
Ref # 9766568

Sounds like the barley would be listed in the ingredients of thier products.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#11 Teriw

Teriw

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 05:15 PM

Hershey has a list of their products are gluten free..

My link

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: