This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Question About Tests And Testing Facilities

Piano

Piano Newbie

Hello everyone,

I'm new here and I'm pretty sure that myself and my wife have various allergies probably including gluten (we both have had or currently have almost every one of the symptoms). I am going to get us both tested but I'd like to get some feedback if I can from anyone who wants to share their experience or input to my question below.

I've scheduled an appointment for a food allergy panel and a gluten test at my local clinic and the receptionist says they start with a skin scratch test. But now that I've been glued to this website for the last couple of days and have been doing some more research I'm not sure I want to just have a skin scratch test done. I want results that are as conclusive as possible (obviously).

I've seen that some people here have used Enterolab for the allergy tests they provide and seem to have had good results. I have also found this company called 'IBS Treatment Center' in Seattle which offers what looks to be a ton of items they can test for but I'm have trouble telling if they are being fair with their pricing scheme.

Can someone look at their price list and tell your reaction to their prices and packaging of tests? I was looking at their 96 foods allergy panel and it's kind of confusing. Do I need to have the IgA version of this test done? or just the IgE, IgG version. They have the IgA test as something you can test for separately or together with the IgE and IgG. I have no idea of exactly what I need! Also part of the 96 food test is a test for gliadin (wheat), gluten (wheat). Is this enough to tell if I have a gluten sensitivity/allergy? Because they also sell a test called 'Celiac Disease Testing: Transglutaminase IgA Antibody + Gamma A (total IgA)'.

Lastly there is another place local to me that says that they use ELISA blood test and they send out their tests to US BioTek Laboratories. Not sure exactly what tests they do or how much they cost I just found them on the internet.

I just don't want to spend a lot of extra money getting things I don't really need or on the other hand should have got in the first place and now need to get afterward.

Sorry for the long-winded and perhaps confusing post but I'm overwhelmed and could surely use any thoughts or experiences that any of you might have (have any of you used any of these places btw?). Thank you very much for your time.

EDIT: Apparently you can't post a link to another site? It changes to a different address once I save my post. I can't link to IBS Treatment Center' So if anyone is willing to search them and look at the price list that would be amazing.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

elle's mom Contributor

Hi! I wish I lived closer to Seattle (I'm in Michigan). I read Dr. Wangen's book (which I would highly recommend) and I would feel very comfortable with letting him handle you and your wife's care. I looked at their prices and to me they seem a little high, but I honestly do not have any basis for this, I have no comparison. I always say though, you get what you pay for and I'm sure he is one of the most knowledgable physician's in the US on gluten intolerance, celiac, and allergies. Just my two cents from reading the book (which again, I highly recommend)......good luck!

BTW, I used Enterolab and I only wish they also tested for additional food sensitivities (currently they only have gluten, dairy, soy, egg, and yeast) and they do not have testing for yeast overgrowth. I was very satisfied with the testing I did have though, which was everything they had available. You get a very comprehensive report and additional email &/or phone consultation afterward as needed, which was very nice.

Piano Newbie

Hi, Thank you for the response. Is the book 'Healthier without Wheat'? I was at a gluten free market this evening and saw a book with that name and Dr. Wangen's as the author and I also noticed that he was the founder of the IBS Treatment Center in Seattle. I didn't get the book at the time but I think I'll go back for it tomorrow.

Thanks for your feedback about Enterolab also. I too wish they had more tests they could perform because I like the model of the service they provide. Not having the doctor visits and just doing labs is surely why they are less expensive than going to a local doctor.

Do you know if it's important to have the IgA version of some of these tests done, or are the IgE and IgG sufficient? It would be great if someone could chime in on what the differences are between these three are and why they would separate the IgA test from the IgE, IgG test. I suppose I may have to call them and inquire about it.

Thank you again for your help

Archived