3 replies to this topic

#1 pupok

pupok

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 03:42 PM

I did some searching around in the forums and online, but didn't really find anything definitive. I want to buy some tempeh but I can't figure out what brands are gluten-free. I looked at the Lightlife brand at the store, some of their flavors look OK in the ingredient list but some have gluten in the ingredients. None of the packages say gluten-free on them, and since I don't know about cross contamination it makes me nervous.

While I was in Whole Foods reading the tempeh labels, one of their employees asked if I needed help and I asked them if they knew whether any of their tempeh was gluten free. He said he didn't think any of it was (of course, he seemed to be going off whether there were "gluten-free" labels next to them which isn't always right).

Does anyone here have a brand they use?

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 runningcrazy

runningcrazy

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 07:53 PM

We use Turtle Island Foods 5 Grain Tempeh. It is gluten free and even says so.
http://www.tofurky.c...nal_tempeh.html
That is their website. The first one is the one we use, but I believe all of them are gluten free.
'You can't start building a better tomorrow if you wait until tomorrow to start building'

#3 pupok

pupok

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 09:18 AM

We use Turtle Island Foods 5 Grain Tempeh. It is gluten free and even says so.
http://www.tofurky.c...nal_tempeh.html
That is their website. The first one is the one we use, but I believe all of them are gluten free.

Thanks for the information! I will look for that brand of tempeh the next time I'm in the store. According to their website, my Whole Foods carries them but I don't think I saw that brand when I was there...

In the meantime, I contacted Lightlife and this is the response that I received:

Thanks for your interest in our company and products. Lightlife currrently has five products that are gluten free. They are Tofu Pups, Organic Soy Tempeh, Organic Flax Tempeh, Organic Wild Rice Tempeh and Garden Veggie Tempeh.

We cannot obsolutely guarantee the absence of minute traces of gluten-containing ingredients in any of our products. Althought no gluten is used in the mentioned products, we do use gluten-containing ingredients extensively in our facility. Many of our consumers have celiac disease and hacve been enjoying our gluten free products for years.

#4 runningcrazy

runningcrazy

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 07:44 AM

Thanks for the information! I will look for that brand of tempeh the next time I'm in the store. According to their website, my Whole Foods carries them but I don't think I saw that brand when I was there...

In the meantime, I contacted Lightlife and this is the response that I received:

Thanks for your interest in our company and products. Lightlife currrently has five products that are gluten free. They are Tofu Pups, Organic Soy Tempeh, Organic Flax Tempeh, Organic Wild Rice Tempeh and Garden Veggie Tempeh.

We cannot obsolutely guarantee the absence of minute traces of gluten-containing ingredients in any of our products. Althought no gluten is used in the mentioned products, we do use gluten-containing ingredients extensively in our facility. Many of our consumers have celiac disease and hacve been enjoying our gluten free products for years.

Thats good to know! Up until now we have only known about the Turtle Mountain! Thanks
'You can't start building a better tomorrow if you wait until tomorrow to start building'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: