4 replies to this topic

#1 Black Sheep

Black Sheep

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 04:17 PM

I stopped by my doc's today to pick up a copy of my iron/ferritin blood work. Everything is within normal range except for two things. The first is my white blood cell count. It says the normal range is 4.0-11.0, but mine is 11.4. What does this mean? It doesn't seem good, but what do I know. The other one is Absolute Neutrophils. What the heck are Absolute Neutrophils? Sounds like the name of a punk band. The range for this is 2.0-7.3, and mine is at 7.6.

I have an app't. to see my doc in a couple of weeks, but in the meantime, does anyone know what this stuff means?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 DonaldandAlanda Evans

DonaldandAlanda Evans

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 05:55 PM

Neutrophils are a type of white blood cell. You have nothing to worry about WBC count fluctuates throughout the day, and your count is only .4 over the median. Different labs have different reference values. At one lab your over and another your normal.......your doctor is looking for much higher or lower numbers ,if he/she were worried, you would have heard something.

#3 Wolicki

Wolicki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 06:38 PM

I had slightly elevated white cells, and that competing heavy metal band absolute eosonophils. :D My doc said it was from inflammation, probably that my intestines were still healing. Since they were both just over the limit, there was no need to worry.
Gluten free is not so bad! If you are new, hang it there, it gets easier!

#4 gf_soph

gf_soph

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 06:48 PM

when they're just out of range it could be any number of minor things - e.g. a recent cold, small infection, slight inflammation. Nothing to worry about in itself, i've had ones that are a bit elevated and they have gone down by the next blood test. Your doctor will be able to give you a better idea of they want to follow up on it later or not.

#5 Black Sheep

Black Sheep

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 10:34 AM

Thanks everyone, that helps a lot! :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: