#1 SLB5757

SLB5757

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 06:00 AM

Hello all!

Still trying to figure out my symptoms and work my way through m different episodes on my own before my My 18th gastro appointment.

I am always extremely cold...to the point of feeling like I am freezing, and also have extremely low blood pressure. Well I do not know if extremely low is the word but it runs 90 something over 60 something consistently. Yesterday at my eye exam the assistant took my bp 3 times and was concerned bc he had never taken a lower bp. When I asked him what it was he said he "could not discuss it with me because that isn't their policy, but that he had never seen one lower". So, my question is should I be happy that I do not have high bp? Should I be concerned that it is so low, and is this why I m always so cold? Also, Does this have anything to do with being celiac/gluten intolerant?

Just trying to put the pieces together. I was hoping that after a while being gluten free maybe these symptoms would resolve. Im literally freezing 99% of my day.
*Multiple allergies including IGE positive RAST to Wheat, Rye, Barley and Oats.
*Diagnosed with IBS 3/09.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 shendler

shendler

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 06:16 AM

Could you have raynauds? http://www.medicinen...non/article.htm

I was diagnosed with having it in my hands/arms/legs/feet recently.

#3 Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 06:30 AM

I had these same symptoms along with a low temp, dry skin/hair and fatigue. Finally found a doctor that said I needed thyroid even if my blood test was on the low side of normal. Now I'm on Armour Thyroid. my bones are no longer freezing, my skin is soft and my hair does not split. My temp still runs low as does my BP.
1960s-had symptoms-could have been before but don't remember
1970s-told had colitis or nervous stomach-was given phenobarbital, felt great but still had symptoms
Me, dd and ds diagnosed with Lactose Intolerance
2000-osteopenia
2001-had stroke because of medications I was given
June 2003-saw Chiropractor who specialized in nutrition: Celiac Disease not Lactose Intolerance, went gluten free with once in awhile cheating, off soy and dairy for about 6 months
June 2003-found excellent doctor for fibromyalgia (who has found out she has Celiac Disease)
May 2006-went gluten free with NO cheating-excellent! Made all the difference in the world

#4 tictax707

tictax707

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 07:50 AM

I have really low BP pretty regularly as well, AND I have raynauds. I think as long as you are not fainting, the low BP is ok. How much salt are you getting per day? The low BP may be related to not having enough salt...
Diagnosed celiac 2002
Diagnosed lymphocytic colitis 2003
Casein free
Love baking/cooking
Love triathlons

#5 TrillumHunter

TrillumHunter

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 08:21 AM

Being anemic can cause this as well. This is very common in people with celiac. You need a ferritin test as well as a CBC.

Other signs of iron anemia- chewing ice, shortness of breath, dizziness when you change positions, and unrelenting fatigue.

Some folks do have low bp, but if this is a change for you, it isn't normal.

#6 koolkat222

koolkat222

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 08:27 AM

Hello all!

Still trying to figure out my symptoms and work my way through m different episodes on my own before my My 18th gastro appointment.

I am always extremely cold...to the point of feeling like I am freezing, and also have extremely low blood pressure. Well I do not know if extremely low is the word but it runs 90 something over 60 something consistently. Yesterday at my eye exam the assistant took my bp 3 times and was concerned bc he had never taken a lower bp. When I asked him what it was he said he "could not discuss it with me because that isn't their policy, but that he had never seen one lower". So, my question is should I be happy that I do not have high bp? Should I be concerned that it is so low, and is this why I m always so cold? Also, Does this have anything to do with being celiac/gluten intolerant?

Just trying to put the pieces together. I was hoping that after a while being gluten free maybe these symptoms would resolve. Im literally freezing 99% of my day.

I have the same- low blood pressure, and I'm always cold. You didn't mention your pulse. Mine is always high. Makes me think my heart isn't working as efficiently as it should. I'm wondering how common this is in others with Celiac.

#7 sandsurfgirl

sandsurfgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 09:05 AM

Classic hypothyroidism symptoms. If your doctor isn't checking your thyroid with those symptoms, I would say get a new doctor. Those are textbook.

The person who posted that the doctor said even if the thyroid is low normal to take thyroid has a BRILLIANT doctor. A doc like that is so hard to find. The ranges for thyroid are far too broad so you can be low normal and have terrible symptoms. They call it subclinical hypothyroidism, but lots of docs won't treat. There are some efforts to change the ranges of normal but I'm not sure when that will happen.

Hypothyroidism and celiac are best friends. They love to hang out together and make us miserable.

I would demand to get a thyroid panel and a full iron panel immediately. My bp can run that low at times, although the top number is usually more to 100, not 90. The lower number is often 60 or 50.
Lots of doctors diagnosed me with lots of things including IBS, lactose intolerance, wheat intolerance, and quite a few of them threw up their hands in total confusion.

Had GI symptoms, allergy symptoms and unexplained illness my whole life.

Jan. 2010 Diagnosed celiac at the age of 40.
Ready to get well and get on with my life!

#8 Linkj57

Linkj57

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 09:12 AM

I too am cold all the time and have low blood pressure. I just had full blood work done last week and my thyroid was fine and I'm not anemic. I don't know if it has anything to do with being Celiac. My doc also has Celiac and he didn't say anything about Celiac when I told him of being freezing and tired all the time. My blood pressure runs in the 90's sometimes and last week when I went it was 100 over something. The doc didn't say anything about that either. It is an interesting coincidence tho. There very well may be a connection.

#9 Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 10:57 AM

The person who posted that the doctor said even if the thyroid is low normal to take thyroid has a BRILLIANT doctor. A doc like that is so hard to find.

Thanks her name is Dr Karen Vrchota from Winona, MN. She sure was a lifesaver for me.
1960s-had symptoms-could have been before but don't remember
1970s-told had colitis or nervous stomach-was given phenobarbital, felt great but still had symptoms
Me, dd and ds diagnosed with Lactose Intolerance
2000-osteopenia
2001-had stroke because of medications I was given
June 2003-saw Chiropractor who specialized in nutrition: Celiac Disease not Lactose Intolerance, went gluten free with once in awhile cheating, off soy and dairy for about 6 months
June 2003-found excellent doctor for fibromyalgia (who has found out she has Celiac Disease)
May 2006-went gluten free with NO cheating-excellent! Made all the difference in the world

#10 Bobbijo6681

Bobbijo6681

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 11:07 AM

I also deal with lower blood pressure, constantly being cold, and low body temp. The only time that I am not cold is when I am sleeping. I have never taken my temp when I first wake up, but I am a furnace when I go to sleep. My boyfriend laughs about it all the time because he never has to worry about being cold when I stay over at his house. I do have a very low B12 level and it is climbing after taking my supplement everyday, but the dr told me this could be sypmtoms of a low B12.

I really like my GI dr who has been working hard with me to find a dx and get me feeling better, but at my appointment yesterday he really tried my patience. Although I am not obese I can stand to lose a few pounds so in changing my diet I am thrilled that weight loss is one of the side effects for me, but he is concerned that I have lost 15 pounds in 10 weeks. My thoughts are "duh you took away all of the unhealthy stuff" but because my liver #'s are continuing to rise slowly I have agreed to further testing.

I am hoping that I find the thing that will finally make me "all better" but grow more and more frustrated everytime I go to the dr office.

I hope you continue with to see positive changes with the diet, and who knows maybe you might warm up too!!

#11 sunnybabi1986

sunnybabi1986

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 11:14 AM

Eh, Some people just have lower blood pressure naturally...my bp has always run pretty low, around 85/60, and I've had every test you can think of run, with everything coming back normal. It probably runs in families, because my mom and sister also both have low bp. We're also cold a lot as well! But we've all been tested and we're all normal. I'd definitely get some tests run, like everyone else suggested, but I wouldn't be overly concerned, as long as you're not passing out or anything.

BTW, I wouldn't call 90/60 extremely low, my doctor said it's normal for some people to have lower bp, 90/60 is not really extreme. Good luck!
Gluten Free since October 2009

If evolution really works, how come mothers only have two hands?" - Milton Berle

"Life is 10 percent what happens to me and 90 percent how I react to it."--Lou Holtz

#12 Mack the Knife

Mack the Knife

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 03:30 PM

I've had low blood pressure all my life. It usually is somewhere around 90/60. I get dizzy when I stand up suddenly and faint sometimes during hot weather. It seems to be genetic because my mother and grandmother had similar blood pressures.... mind you, we also have a family history of thyroid problems. So who knows?

I am always freezing. I've tended to be cold most of my life but it has been particularly bad this last 18 months. I think this was caused by Coeliac (I was diagnosed in January), a 15kg weight loss, and super low Ferritin levels. I've been gluten-free for three months now and I'm still freezing. I just went in to get my iron levels re-checked so I'm hoping they've improved. It doesn't feel like they have though.

#13 Reba32

Reba32

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 04:56 PM

I would also suggest thyroid issues, and/or electrolyte imbalance (low sodium, postassium, magnesium)

make an appointment with your doctor to have your TSH, T3 and T4 tested, but in the meantime make sure you get at least 1/2 tsp of salt per day (read food labels! mst packaged foods are FULL of sodium), plus a magnesium supplement and half an avocado per day should take care of the potassium.

#14 CaraLouise

CaraLouise

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 03:10 AM

ditto everyone else, i have low blood pressure, low body temp, and am cold all the time. i have raynaud's too. i also try and add extra salt in my diet because if not then i am really dizzy.

#15 JAMR

JAMR

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 05:09 AM

I also react to cold temps, especially cold water that causes cold urticaria (hives), red itching weals. My reactions get milder when I cut out gluten, however I imagine it will take a long time (1-2 years) to be toally free of this reaction. I also feel the cold intensely, it does not appear to be raynauds, more like my skin is thin and brittle and does not insulate me very well (I am also very lean). Once again whrn my diet is working off gluten (and asociated foods like soy, lactose and others) my tolerance of cold improves, my skins gets more flexible, less dry etc. My assumption is that the skin is one part of the problem of coldness and internal compromises of other organs etc are the other part. Bottom line seems to be that overall symptoms improve over time, however look for other foods that might be causing issues, and be aware that other organs get compromised in the process, and might need to be treated independently.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: