32 replies to this topic

#16 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 12:22 AM

I'll eat fries at In-n-Out Burger, but there is nothing on their menu that is deep fried other than the fries, which they make on the spot from fresh potatoes. They're good about keeping the lettuce wrapped burgers away from crumbs too, if you tell them you have a wheat allergy.

Other than that, french fries are gluten roulette for me.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 ciavyn

ciavyn

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 03:19 AM

Just to add to this: I've always had a good experience at fast food restaurants. And all those "sixteen year olds" have been very careful about my food and letting everyone know what I need. I've not been glutened by McD's yet, and it's a nice change to not always make my own food.

And let's not malign the fast food workers! We're all one pink slip away! :)
Gluten free: Nov. 2009
Peanut and dairy free: Dec. 2009
Rediscovered dairy: March 2010 (in small quantities)
Peanuts added back: June 2010 (in small quantities)

#18 MindytheOrganist

MindytheOrganist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 06:01 AM

Please don't assume everyone that works at a fast-food place is a stupid 16-year-old. I'm a professional, but if I ever got tossed out on the street, and was having trouble finding a job, I would not hesitate to work at a fast-food restaurant. There are many people working at fast-food places that are very over-qualified, especially in these economic times. We travel a lot with family located at least 300 miles away, and sometimes the only places available are fast-food. We tend to eat at Wendy's because of their many gluten-free options.

I am very pleased, however, to find out about McDonalds fries and hash browns. We weren't sure about McDonalds before. Thanks to everyone for all the good information.

#19 eva-girl

eva-girl

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 10:11 AM

when i was a teenager i worked at mcdonald's, so i know whereof i speak. the kitchen was not the cleanest, most sanitary place. i also put myself through college waiting tables, and i am not maligning servers at all. in any case, i try to stay away from fast food because it is so full of sodium. if y'all have had good luck eating fast food, then that's great. i just don't like it and wouldn't trust it. my opinion.

#20 BumpsMom

BumpsMom

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 02:17 PM

Mcdonalds french fries are NOT gluten free they put a additive in the fries before cooking its not the oil you have to worry about!!!! I repeat NOT gluten free they have wheat proteins !!!

#21 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 02:35 PM

In the United States (and only in the United States) there is a wheat derivative used at the plant where McDonalds fries are manufactured. That derivative, along with a dairy derivative, is used to make a beef flavor. That flavor is added to the oil in which the product is partially fried before being frozen and shipped.

At the store, the frying process is completed. The oil used at the store is different from the oil used at the plant, and has no flavor.

The finished product has been independently tested by a recognized expert at the University of Nebraska. Using the most sensitive test available, no gluten was detected in the fries.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#22 Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 05:52 PM

As an adult I worked at a fast food place. I have seen that they can not be trusted. A dedicated fryer stays dedicated until a bus load of customers arrives. Then it's just as stated: a fryer dedicated to frying whatever is needed. After all it's a fast food place.
1960s-had symptoms-could have been before but don't remember
1970s-told had colitis or nervous stomach-was given phenobarbital, felt great but still had symptoms
Me, dd and ds diagnosed with Lactose Intolerance
2000-osteopenia
2001-had stroke because of medications I was given
June 2003-saw Chiropractor who specialized in nutrition: Celiac Disease not Lactose Intolerance, went gluten free with once in awhile cheating, off soy and dairy for about 6 months
June 2003-found excellent doctor for fibromyalgia (who has found out she has Celiac Disease)
May 2006-went gluten free with NO cheating-excellent! Made all the difference in the world

#23 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 06:01 PM

After all it's a fast food place.

Exactly my point. If you are concerned about the undetectable possible gluten level from the flavor, why on earth are you going anywhere near a restaurant, especially a fast food one...
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.

#24 glutenfr3309

glutenfr3309

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 02:12 PM

Mcdonalds french fries are NOT gluten free they put a additive in the fries before cooking its not the oil you have to worry about!!!! I repeat NOT gluten free they have wheat proteins !!!

maybe this is why i wanted to gag at the smell of someone's mcdonald's fries when i was walking behind them at the mall!

haha

#25 rookie_2468

rookie_2468

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:17 AM

I just learned something very unnerving. Called a Wendy’s restaurant and asked if they had seperate fryer for fries and all things breaded. They say “Yes”. I press the issue a little futher telling the manager my Gluten concerns to which he responds…Well we do mix all the oils together when we strain the food bits out then re-populate the separate fryer with the mixed oil.

Not an expert but this sounds like a real problem. Press the issue folks. Separate fryers are useless if they mix the oil together.

#26 Deaminated Marcus

Deaminated Marcus

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 05:18 PM

Wow that was an interesting read...

#27 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 05:27 PM

I just learned something very unnerving. Called a Wendy’s restaurant and asked if they had seperate fryer for fries and all things breaded. They say “Yes”. I press the issue a little futher telling the manager my Gluten concerns to which he responds…Well we do mix all the oils together when we strain the food bits out then re-populate the separate fryer with the mixed oil.

Not an expert but this sounds like a real problem. Press the issue folks. Separate fryers are useless if they mix the oil together.

Maybe at Wendy's, but never at McDonalds. Doing that would taint the fry oil and affect the taste of the fries. The taste of the fries is sacred at McD and nothing is ever allowed to contaminate the oil. It is not to keep it gluten-free, but we do benefit as a side effect.
Peter

#28 karichelle

karichelle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:39 AM

My husband has worked in 2 different fast food restaurants (neither was McD's or Wendy's) and he told me as well that they used separate fryers for fries because the breaded items and all the stuff they shed into the oil would make the fries taste bad.

So these restaurants are going against protocol AND making a product taste bad. :-\

#29 anti-soprano

anti-soprano

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:53 PM

I know y'all are talkin fries, but...

When I was in school, at worked at both a Chuck E. Cheese and an Ice cream stand that sold mostly soft serve.  At the soft serve place, they taught us if a cone didn't come out right, we could dump the odd looking structure back into the top of the machine (just the soft serve- not the cone itself) and recycle it.  This happened all the time.  Thinking nothing of it, I did it once while making a cone at Chuck E. Cheese and a customer freaked out.  I had no idea why at the time. My "managers" should have been able to tell me why, but either didn't know or didn't care to share it with me.  Anyways, 20 years later- now I know and feel horrible that this woman or her kid probably wanted some ice cream, but it was contaminated by a glutenous cone.  Karma's a B.

My point is if an employee isn't educated on WHY they have certain procedures, odds are they aren't going to follow them.  Knowledge and awareness is the key.  Wish I could offer a class for fast food workers at this point!

#30 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,114 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:18 PM

I know y'all are talkin fries, but...
When I was in school, at worked at both a Chuck E. Cheese and an Ice cream stand that sold mostly soft serve.  At the soft serve place, they taught us if a cone didn't come out right, we could dump the odd looking structure back into the top of the machine (just the soft serve- not the cone itself) and recycle it.  This happened all the time.  Thinking nothing of it, I did it once while making a cone at Chuck E. Cheese and a customer freaked out.  I had no idea why at the time. My "managers" should have been able to tell me why, but either didn't know or didn't care to share it with me.  Anyways, 20 years later- now I know and feel horrible that this woman or her kid probably wanted some ice cream, but it was contaminated by a glutenous cone.  Karma's a B.

My point is if an employee isn't educated on WHY they have certain procedures, odds are they aren't going to follow them.  Knowledge and awareness is the key.  Wish I could offer a class for fast food workers at this point!

I have heard this before. If the health department finds out they are doing this, they will be in trouble.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: