This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Hashbrowns?

Stylo

Stylo Rookie

Ingredients: Potatoes, non-hydrogenated canola and /or soybean oil, salt, dextrose, sodium acid pyrophosphate.

Are these okay to eat? I've read about some having issues with canola oil, and the dextrose I found on a safe list. I'm just scared of making myself more sick until I can see the doctor and get a proper eating guide.

Thanks in advance! It will be nice if I can have these for breakfast.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Ingredients: Potatoes, non-hydrogenated canola and /or soybean oil, salt, dextrose, sodium acid pyrophosphate.

Are these okay to eat? I've read about some having issues with canola oil, and the dextrose I found on a safe list. I'm just scared of making myself more sick until I can see the doctor and get a proper eating guide.

Sounds like the Ore-Ida ingredients. Unless your allergic on top of celiac disease, should be fine. I've had them & the fat steak fries.

But what the heck is sodium acid phosphosphate? And why do potatoes need it? Maybe to keep from getting brown? The stuff they put in food .... :huh:

Stylo Rookie

I'm glad you mentioned that, the sodium acid pyrophosphate was the one that I was "Huh?" about. I understand the word sodum, and acid, but the combination with pyrophosphate on the end made me question it.

They are Safeway brand hashbrowns, I'm not sure who makes them for Safeway.

I'm going gluten free starting today (I just want to feel better), I'm not sure if I should taper it off or go cold turkey. I'm seeing a doctor later today just to talk to him and get his recomendations. Funny enough, I mentioned it to my mom who is a auto-immune insulin dependent diabetic with IBS, and she has actually quit dairy and some bread products due to the IBS meds not working.

She's going to go soon and and see about a gluten free diet as well.

This is all just so overwhelming, I'm glad I have this site and you guys :)

lovegrov Collaborator

From Wikipedia:

"Disodium pyrophosphate also is found in frozen hash browns and other potato products, where it is used to keep the color of the potatoes from darkening."

It would be gluten-free.

richard

Stylo Rookie

Thanks Richard! I have a horrible feeling I'm going into this pathetically.

My doctor was more sympathetic than what I've read from others experiences, but he could not really give me any information on the diet. He said "Stay away fom beer, bread, and anything that has those things in it" pretty much. I advised him I've been browsing the can and cannot lists of this website and he said to use it as a tool. I understand he's not a nutritionist, I was hoping he had phamphlet style information so I wouldn't have to check online all the time.

Wenmin Enthusiast

Thanks Richard! I have a horrible feeling I'm going into this pathetically.

My doctor was more sympathetic than what I've read from others experiences, but he could not really give me any information on the diet. He said "Stay away fom beer, bread, and anything that has those things in it" pretty much. I advised him I've been browsing the can and cannot lists of this website and he said to use it as a tool. I understand he's not a nutritionist, I was hoping he had phamphlet style information so I wouldn't have to check online all the time.

These sites might be helpful if you are just starting out:

They are very old, so check the ingredients....

A list of mainstream products that can be found at almost any grocery store...this is the website: (just copy and paste in address box)

homepage.mac.com/sholland/celiac/GFfoodlist.pdf

some of my favorites include the following:

Rice Chex cereal, Corn chex cereal, and cinnamon rice chex, chocolate rice chex (will list on the package if it is gluten free!

Quaker Instant and Quick Grits (add a slice of velveeta cheese for cheese grits)

Ortega Yellow corn taco shells

Van's Waffles

Carnation hot chocolate mixes

Sunny Delight

Envirokidz Amazon Frosted Flakes

Golden Flake Snack Foods: all potato chips, corn chips, tortilla chips, cheese puffs, cheese curls

Amy's Kitchen Organic Salsa

Midel Chocolate chip cookies

Glutino Cheddar Cheese Crackers (Gluten Free)

Eagle Brand condensed milk

Cool Whip

Breakstones cottage cheese

Yoplait Yogurt - All except crunchies ( like granola, graham crackers, etc)

Jello Brand Jello snacks

Hunt's Snack Pack Pudding - all except crunchies

Soy Dream (Ice Cream)

Ben & Jerry's (All flavors not listing gluten ingredients)

All canned or frozen fruit not containing gluten ingredients (Delmonte)

All canned or frozen vegetables not containing gluten ingredients (Delmonte)

Oscar Mayer All Beef Hot dogs

Bryan All Beef Smoked Sausage

Sara Lee Cooked Ham

Kinnikinnick Bread (frozen food section)

Mustard, Mayonaise, Ketchup not containing gluten ingredients

Reese's Peanut Butter

Aunt Jemima Syrup

Contadina Pizza Squeeze

Hormel Pepperoni

Bush's Baked Beans

Ore Ida Hash Browns and French Fries

Go check this site out it is very helpful!

• 2 years later...
Shahid Newbie

Stylo, I realise it's been two years since your original post. But just thought i'd share this with you.

Your mother probably has the metabolic syndrome. She would really benefit from staying completely off Gluten and dairy in all forms.

The disease manifests itself in several autoimmune conditions including insulin dependent diabetes, rheumatoid arthiritis, interstitial lung and kidney disease etc.

The contemporary treatment is to supress the immune system with immunosuppresants but ask her to try a completely dairy and gluten free diet for a few months.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 3 weeks later...
jlrsnyder Newbie

We went to a restaurant for breakfast this morning (Upper Deck, Campbellton). I ordered the hashbrowns, hoping that they would be made like my dad used to make them: shredded raw potatoes and onions cooked on the grill. What I was served was little cubes of pre-cooked potatoes coated in a breading that contained flour, and then deep-fried. When I questioned the waitress about it, she confirmed that the hashbrowns contained flour and that the restaurant did not offer any other potato dish that did not also contain flour. I felt like a victim of misleading labeling.

kareng Grand Master

We went to a restaurant for breakfast this morning (Upper Deck, Campbellton). I ordered the hashbrowns, hoping that they would be made like my dad used to make them: shredded raw potatoes and onions cooked on the grill. What I was served was little cubes of pre-cooked potatoes coated in a breading that contained flour, and then deep-fried. When I questioned the waitress about it, she confirmed that the hashbrowns contained flour and that the restaurant did not offer any other potato dish that did not also contain flour. I felt like a victim of misleading labeling.

On of the "Rules of celiac" never assume ingredients - always ask. :angry:

lovegrov Collaborator

I don't mean to be mean, but YOU have to do the asking ahead of time. Many types of hashbrowns have flour in them. Hashbrowns ALWAYS throw up a big red flag. And just because they aren't the same ones your father made doesn't mean the restaurant was being misleading. It simply means they were using crummy commercial frozen ones.

richard

mbrookes Community Regular

In the good news column:

Waffle House hashbrowns are gluten free. Just ask them to please use clean gloves when they fix your food. I have always found Waffle House people to be extremely cooperative.

Archived