12 replies to this topic

#1 chocolatequeen

chocolatequeen

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 04:40 PM

I was wondering what others are doing to get good sources of fiber in their diet? I have been gluten-free for 6 plus months, but am still learning.
Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Wolicki

Wolicki

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 06:42 PM

leafy greans, mostly. Beans and flax are good too.
Gluten free is not so bad! If you are new, hang it there, it gets easier!

#3 Stylo

Stylo

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 09:53 AM

I was wondering about this as well. I'm not having diarhea anymore but now I'm constipated as my body adjusts.

When I was on atkins, they recommended mixing some flax with water and drinking that, or sprinkling it over your greens. I haven't done this yet.

I am eating lots of greens and fruit but that isn't making it budge right now. Maybe I should kick it up a notch.

#4 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 06:54 PM

Flax seeds or flax meal are good. My brother likes to mix it in with yogurt. Prunes are great if you like them. Lately I've been eating about 5 every few days. Also if you like to bake you could try coconut flour. Very high in fiber and very filling and also low carb. I also like to mix it into my smoothies for extra fiber, protein and to make it thicker. Quinoa is also a great grain that is easily digested and great for constipation.

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

#5 buffettbride

buffettbride

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 06:55 PM

I had raw, organic pumpkin seeds the other day as a snack. Packed full of fiber!

#6 MagpieWrites

MagpieWrites

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 05:20 AM

Um... at the risk of being branded forever as irreversibly weird, my husband and I have added another source of fiber to our diets that seems to be helping a lot.

Based on those "Fiber Water" drinks they sell in the diet section, I've taken to spiking the splenda sweetened koolaide we drink with the gluten-free tasteless, dissolves in water fiber powder from the drug store. We eat a LOT of fruits and veggies, as well as brown rice, corn, and pumpkin seeds - but, well. Both the hubby and I were having... issues (I will spare you the details lol!) and figured an extra bump wouldn't hurt.

Added benefit? He (since he drinks the koolaid far more than I do - and wow, there is a bad joke in there somewhere) is finding it helps him cut back on the snacking, as he feels full longer.

Just, be careful if you try this out? I kinda, sorta, just a wee bit, misread the label the first time. Rather, spectacularly, in fact. Not only did I add WAY too much - He sat down and drank three 32 ounce glasses. It was an interesting night, to say the least, but he DID have to admit the next day he felt lighter than he had in YEARS.
Diagnosed with celiac in the summer of 09 - after being sick since I was a teen with no answers. I miss "real" pasta - but its a fair trade off for getting my life BACK.

#7 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 05:38 AM

Um... at the risk of being branded forever as irreversibly weird, my husband and I have added another source of fiber to our diets that seems to be helping a lot.

Based on those "Fiber Water" drinks they sell in the diet section, I've taken to spiking the splenda sweetened koolaide we drink with the gluten-free tasteless, dissolves in water fiber powder from the drug store. We eat a LOT of fruits and veggies, as well as brown rice, corn, and pumpkin seeds - but, well. Both the hubby and I were having... issues (I will spare you the details lol!) and figured an extra bump wouldn't hurt.

Added benefit? He (since he drinks the koolaid far more than I do - and wow, there is a bad joke in there somewhere) is finding it helps him cut back on the snacking, as he feels full longer.

Just, be careful if you try this out? I kinda, sorta, just a wee bit, misread the label the first time. Rather, spectacularly, in fact. Not only did I add WAY too much - He sat down and drank three 32 ounce glasses. It was an interesting night, to say the least, but he DID have to admit the next day he felt lighter than he had in YEARS.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#8 chocolatequeen

chocolatequeen

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 11:36 AM

Thanks for all of the advice... Some new things I need to try. Pumpkin seeds sound good, i'll have to try that especially!

#9 masterjen

masterjen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 06:42 AM

I eat far more fruits and veggies than I did before I went gluten-free, but I still struggle with constipation. I have been taking metamucil twice per day (which I will increase to 3 times per day). I also find a 1/2 cup serving of junior baby-food prune puree every 2 days helps.
Life throws us curve-balls sometimes, but if we didn't have challenges we would become too complacent and forget to respect the value of life itself.

#10 Reba32

Reba32

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 04:55 PM

Flax! :)

#11 gary'sgirl

gary'sgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 02:45 PM

I just thought that I would add - although you all probably know - that you can still have trouble with constipation while on large amounts of fiber if you do not drink enough water. I know it sounds like a lot, but most women should drink almost a gallon of water a day which is twice as much as what most magazines and the like suggest. If you take a lot of fiber supplements you may need more because fiber can cause constipation if it does not have enough water to do it's job.

Another thing to try, if you do still struggle with constipation while haveing a high fiber intake and enough water in your diet, is taking extra magnesium in a tablet form. I have had to take at least 1 250 mg tab in the morning and 1 at night for a while now.
Just sayin - it could help. :D

#12 Reba32

Reba32

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 04:47 PM

I take 500mg of magnesium every day. I tried only 250mg but it wasn't quite enough for me.

I think maybe as I heal more I might be able to lower the dose again, but it's so nice to be able to go without any struggle ;)

I also drink usually about 3 to 4 litres of water every day.

#13 Mizzo

Mizzo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 03:34 AM

Sooooo glad you posted this, I never thought to add it too my daughters koolaide. Thanks another great idea.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: