Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Camera Capsule?

6 posts in this topic

Has anyone had the camera capsule test to check for celiac? I saw an article in the newspaper the other day about a local hospital now using it, rather than endoscopies b/c it travels through the entire intestines. I was just curious if it was worth looking into that.

Ads by Google:

well I would think the problems with that would be that there is no actual biopsy if there is only a camera used. The biopsy is examined under a microscope to check for villi damage, its my understanding that this damage is very hard to see with the naked eye (which is why an endoscopy isnt used alone, the biopsy needs to be taken during endoscopy). It just doesnt seem to be a very good diagnostic tool when examining the actual surface of the small intestines. I wouldnt rely on it.

Someone posted here that they did find villi damage with the pill cam. She also had half a celiac gene, ans symptoms.

I have also read on other forums that some who had ha dmultiple endoscopies, where they did not find anything conclusive, that they did find celiac lesions with the pill cam, and they got a diagnosis.

Celiac is quite easy to see in the pill cam. Just google pill cam.

Here they also say celiac can be seen, but this is another technique: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17577113

Someone posted here that they did find villi damage with teh pill cam. She also had half a celiac gene, ans symptoms.

I have also read on other forums that some who had ha dmultiple endoscopies, where they did not find anything conclusive, that they did find celiac lesions with the pill cam, and they got a diagnosis.

Celiac is quite easy to see in the pill cam. Just google pill cam.

Here tehy also say celiac can be seen, but this is another technique: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17577113

Thanx for the input! I was reading up on it after I read the newspaper article and it sounded interesting. My endo. didn't show anything and I was considering looking into this- just to see for a clearer answer instead of "take miralax and prilosec and see me in June"

Thanx for the input! I was reading up on it after I read the newspaper article and it sounded interesting. My endo. didn't show anything and I was considering looking into this- just to see for a clearer answer instead of "take miralax and prilosec and see me in June"

After having biopsies taken and a SBFT I'm going to swallow a Pill Cam on Tuesday. Doctor wants to see the damage shown from scans and to make sure there isn't anything else going on along with Celiacs. celiac disease is not a passive disease. I don't have any GI symptoms (just malabsorption) and yet he feels the damage is severe. I'll have to let you know how it goes and what it shows. I hear the docs can see alot with the camera, especially with magnification. Cool technology.

Wendi

I've done the pill cam twice now, and it hasn't shown anything conclusive, whereas my biopsies from the endoscopies have been inconclusive as well but have provided much more info on the nature of the abnormality and inflammation going on. Both times with the pill cam we were looking for Crohn's since I already had a solid celiac diagnosis and had already healed (DQ2 positive, biopsy and blood test). The doctors see inflammation and bleeding, but they can't provide a sure diagnosis.

The test isn't difficult or painful, it's just an inconvenience and can be pretty pricey.