5 replies to this topic

#1 Tummy Frustration

Tummy Frustration

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 05:42 PM

Has anyone had the camera capsule test to check for celiac? I saw an article in the newspaper the other day about a local hospital now using it, rather than endoscopies b/c it travels through the entire intestines. I was just curious if it was worth looking into that.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 wschmucks

wschmucks

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 07:44 PM

well I would think the problems with that would be that there is no actual biopsy if there is only a camera used. The biopsy is examined under a microscope to check for villi damage, its my understanding that this damage is very hard to see with the naked eye (which is why an endoscopy isnt used alone, the biopsy needs to be taken during endoscopy). It just doesnt seem to be a very good diagnostic tool when examining the actual surface of the small intestines. I wouldnt rely on it.
Diagnosed Celiac Oct' 08 (blood test and biopsy)
Starting SDC Feb'09

Just trying to figure it out with a smile :-)

#3 nora_n

nora_n

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 07:22 AM

Someone posted here that they did find villi damage with the pill cam. She also had half a celiac gene, ans symptoms.
I have also read on other forums that some who had ha dmultiple endoscopies, where they did not find anything conclusive, that they did find celiac lesions with the pill cam, and they got a diagnosis.

Celiac is quite easy to see in the pill cam. Just google pill cam.

Here they also say celiac can be seen, but this is another technique: http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/17577113
gluten-free since may 06 after neg. biopsy symptoms went away and DH symptoms which I had since 03 got gradually better.
daughter officially diagnosed celiac and casein intolerant.
non-DQ2 or DQ8. Maybe DQ1? Updated: Yes, double DQ5
Hypothyroid since 2000, thyroxine first started to work well 06 on a low-carb and gluten-free diet
Lost 20 kg after going gluten-free and weighing 53 kg now. neg. biopsy for DH. Found out afterwards from this forum that it should have been taken during an outbreak but it was taken two weeks after. vitaminD was 57 nmol/l in may08)

#4 Tummy Frustration

Tummy Frustration

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 09:04 AM

Someone posted here that they did find villi damage with teh pill cam. She also had half a celiac gene, ans symptoms.
I have also read on other forums that some who had ha dmultiple endoscopies, where they did not find anything conclusive, that they did find celiac lesions with the pill cam, and they got a diagnosis.

Celiac is quite easy to see in the pill cam. Just google pill cam.

Here tehy also say celiac can be seen, but this is another technique: http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/17577113

Thanx for the input! I was reading up on it after I read the newspaper article and it sounded interesting. My endo. didn't show anything and I was considering looking into this- just to see for a clearer answer instead of "take miralax and prilosec and see me in June"

#5 sahm-i-am

sahm-i-am

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 06:41 PM

Thanx for the input! I was reading up on it after I read the newspaper article and it sounded interesting. My endo. didn't show anything and I was considering looking into this- just to see for a clearer answer instead of "take miralax and prilosec and see me in June"

After having biopsies taken and a SBFT I'm going to swallow a Pill Cam on Tuesday. Doctor wants to see the damage shown from scans and to make sure there isn't anything else going on along with Celiacs. celiac disease is not a passive disease. I don't have any GI symptoms (just malabsorption) and yet he feels the damage is severe. I'll have to let you know how it goes and what it shows. I hear the docs can see alot with the camera, especially with magnification. Cool technology.

Wendi
Diagnosed with Lymphoma March 2010. After surgery doctors said "Oops!"
Diagnosed with Celiac Disease April 2010. After endoscopy doc said "Aren't you glad?"
Uhhh.....yeah!
DD #1 ('99) tested negative on bloodwork but positive on 2 genetic markers. Went gluten free in July 2010 and has been symptom-free ever since!
DD #2 ('98) tested negative and has no symptoms. Didn't fork out money for genetic testing. Will watch and test regularly.
Husband tested positive in July 2010 and has refused to go gluten free. Uh huh, that's gonna bite him in the a** one day! (Pun intended!)

#6 NicoleAJ

NicoleAJ

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 10:42 PM

I've done the pill cam twice now, and it hasn't shown anything conclusive, whereas my biopsies from the endoscopies have been inconclusive as well but have provided much more info on the nature of the abnormality and inflammation going on. Both times with the pill cam we were looking for Crohn's since I already had a solid celiac diagnosis and had already healed (DQ2 positive, biopsy and blood test). The doctors see inflammation and bleeding, but they can't provide a sure diagnosis.

The test isn't difficult or painful, it's just an inconvenience and can be pretty pricey.
Diagnosed July 2004

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: