Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Pregnancy Responsible For Triggering Celiac Disease?

• Please log in to reply

3 replies to this topic

#1 Andrea3

Andrea3

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 01:09 AM

Hi All, I am new here and am yet to have Celiac Disease confirmed (am currently waiting for results of a blood test), however after ruling out other possible causes such as stomach ulcer, galls stones and hiatus hernia the gastroenterologist I saw has propsed Celiac Disease. I have read that it can be triggered during pregnancy besides many other possible triggers. I am in my 18th week of pregnancy and have been very unwell since 5 weeks (some symptoms clearly through pregnancy, others the GP isn't sure of the cause).

Has anyone else here been found to have Celiac Disease whilst pregnant and did you find that changing to a gluten free diet during pregnancy affected you in any way (besides hopefully making you feel better)

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 emaegf

emaegf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 07:04 PM

A friend of mine did. You only need 2 things to happen for Celiac. 1. You have to have the gene for it and 2. Some kind of stress to the body such as pregnancy, illness, every day stress, etc.
My friend was so sick with every pregnancy until she found out she had Celiac and went gluten free. She feels so much better and with baby #5 on the way she can't believe how much diffence there is between her "normal" pregnancy and the first 4. She is active not staying on the couch 24 hours a day. Loving being pregnant and finally able to be excited about the new addition instead of wishing her pain was over.
The symptoms you are having outside of normal pregnancy are probably caused by the Celiac. Eating gluten free will diffently make you feel better with no adverse effects to you or baby.

#3 Andrea3

Andrea3

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 12:12 AM

A friend of mine did. You only need 2 things to happen for Celiac. 1. You have to have the gene for it and 2. Some kind of stress to the body such as pregnancy, illness, every day stress, etc.
My friend was so sick with every pregnancy until she found out she had Celiac and went gluten free. She feels so much better and with baby #5 on the way she can't believe how much diffence there is between her "normal" pregnancy and the first 4. She is active not staying on the couch 24 hours a day. Loving being pregnant and finally able to be excited about the new addition instead of wishing her pain was over.
The symptoms you are having outside of normal pregnancy are probably caused by the Celiac. Eating gluten free will diffently make you feel better with no adverse effects to you or baby.

Thanks for your reply, I'm glad your friend found out before her 5th pregnancy and so was able to enjoy it. I can totally relate to just wanting the pain and discomfort to end rather than being able to focus on my unborn baby and enjoy the pregnancy. I feel guilty for not being able to enjoy it and find myself rubbibg my tummy wishing it better instead of rubbibg baby bump to feel a connection with him or her.
I also have an underactive thyroid (since I was 10) and have read that this can also contribute to celiac disease so it seems I may be a candidate for it, I just find the waiting for the blood test results frustrating. However I am already trying a gluten free diet just to see if I feel any better on it and I am already starting to feel some immprovements after just a few days, so this is positive :)

Thanks again for you reply.

#4 Amyleigh0007

Amyleigh0007

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 07:36 AM

Thanks for your reply, I'm glad your friend found out before her 5th pregnancy and so was able to enjoy it. I can totally relate to just wanting the pain and discomfort to end rather than being able to focus on my unborn baby and enjoy the pregnancy. I feel guilty for not being able to enjoy it and find myself rubbibg my tummy wishing it better instead of rubbibg baby bump to feel a connection with him or her.
I also have an underactive thyroid (since I was 10) and have read that this can also contribute to celiac disease so it seems I may be a candidate for it, I just find the waiting for the blood test results frustrating. However I am already trying a gluten free diet just to see if I feel any better on it and I am already starting to feel some immprovements after just a few days, so this is positive :)

Thanks again for you reply.

Amy

1989: I am diagnosed with IBS.
3/08: 8-year-old son diagnosed with Celiac (blood test and biopsy) and allergies to corn, egg whites, soy, peanuts, walnuts, wheat, and clam.
6/08: My Celiac test is negative.
7/08: I go completely gluten free despite negative test and NO MORE IBS SYMPTOMS!!
7/09: My Enterolab gluten sensitivity gene testing results indicate I have one Celiac gene and one gluten sensitivity gene.
8/09: I am diagnosed with Celiac based on gene testing results and positive response to diet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: