Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Pizza Pizza Experiences?

5 posts in this topic

The chain Pizza Pizza has just made the move to my area in Vancouver. I got a flyer showing that they have gluten-free pizzas. I am tempted, but very worried about CC. I have read their website, says all employees are trained about CC. I also read some good and bad experiences on this board. All of the reviews were years old. Just wondering if anyone has tried them lately?

Ads by Google:

I eat them from time to time, with no problems. The crusts are pre-made and the store uses dedicated pans and cutters. The first time I walked in and watched while it was made. Now I just call ahead for pick up.

Hey :) I live in Burnaby and was thinking of trying them as well.

I've heard good things about them personally, they seem like a good place. Before I went gluten free I had their whole wheat crust and the gut rot was enough to tell me I had to go gluten free. That's when we saw they offered that option as well, so next time we order I'll try them out.

Here's my Pizza Pizza story!

My boyfriend and I drove across Canada, NB to Calgary, it was going to take us five days, so we didn't want to stop a whole lot or go out of the way and sight see. But, I had researched before hand and heard about these guys having gluten-free pizza, at least in Eastern Canada. So, we're driving along, starting to think about dinner when we pass this little hole-in-the-wall pizza pizza beside a gas station in Ontario. I thought for sure they'd be too small to bother carrying the gluten-free pizza, but we go in to check. They carried it, they didn't charge extra, and it was the first time I had pizza in about six months at that point. I was so excited I took a picture. It was awesome.

We only seem to have Pizza Pizza's in our movie theatres in Calgary, and they don't have the gluten-free pizza. But, Boston Pizza is also carrying gluten-free individual pizzas now, there's a thread about it already! It's very good. The Pizza Pizza's one was pretty good, kind of on the crunchy side, which I prefer mine kinda doughey. I still regard them as an awesome memory.

The fact that they have a gluten free option is so awesome. I find it tastes best when it's fresh. If you leave it in the fridge and re heat it, I don't think it's as good. The Pizza Pizza's around here that I've eaten at are good about cross contamination as long as the cooks are education. However, some of the Boston Pizza (which also have good gluten free pizza) have gotten in trouble for cross contamination.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• So my heart has been doing weird stuff post gluten challenge. Skips beats, arrhythmias, chest pain. It was getting a bit better then worse again in July.   My cardiologist has done 2 stress tests, halter monitor, and we have not caught anything other then harmless pvc's. But I KNOW this is not right for my heart and it has gone wacky out of sync and we never catch it on a damn test. All of my doctor's were connected out of a larger practice, so the GI, cardio, neuro, and primary care can all see the mountains of tests I had and think I am a nutcase the moment I walk through the door. I will admit that I informed the old GI about the DGP test being positive and I sent over some info on the test as they were basically using TTG and old gliadin tests, and they were receptive. But for the most part, I do not trust doctors. I was once told I was in false labor when I actually had 13 gallstones and an infection in my bile duct. I have more horror stories, as we all do. So, my protein and RBC were low in the hospital but all up to good levels now so it is not a vitamin deficiency. My heart has already skipped multiple beats today. The other day, it again went out of rhythm for just 20 seconds or so. I am not drinking coffee or alcohol because of the acidity, so it is not that. I was glutened on August 24th and probably once in July. Does anyone have weird heart issues that vanish eventually? If so, how long does it take? I am an over-thinker, which has its pros and cons. I know we are at an increased risk for CAD which is not really my concern right now. My gut is inflamed, my thyroid is inflamed and my adrenal gland was effected by all of this. I sort of wonder if an exposure to gluten causes some kind of myocarditis, an inflammation that would not be picked up a sonogram per se, and may eventually vanish with a gluten free diet. Has anyone ever had experience with myocarditis? I did a lot of reading on Roemheld syndrome, gastro-cardio syndrome, which is basically a set of cardio symptoms resulting from your gut. Praying it is just that! I just feel like now that I have a diagnosis, I need to rebuild a team of doctors that I feel have my back. This is a sucky disease that can have a lot of ill effects and I need a team I feel is intelligent, supportive and willing to research. I already have a new GI and a great Endocrinologist. I am seriously contemplating a new cardio and neuro as they both talk to me like I am a 12 year-old with "hysterical girl syndrome".
    • I was not officially diagnosed with narcolepsy when I was younger and still haven't.  However, even in my junior high and high school years and on through my college years staying awake was always a struggle for me.  maybe the gluten was a factor back in junior high and just didn't realize it.    There were times in church and other times I would just BAM fall asleep without warning.  Frustrating and somewhat embarrassing to say the least.  Now that I have been off gluten for close to a year now, the "feeling" of needing to sleep is becoming less and less.  Still have periods of sudden sleepiness, but not as often any more.
    • when they first came out, I read the ingredients on them, and they don't seem to contain malt.  But the company, at that time specifically posted on the website that they  are not gluten-free.  So I don't drink them.
    • Rum is naturally gluten free, but in cases where it is flavored, spiced, etc. you have to be careful where they might add a malt in the natural flavorings. I been using Admiral Nelsons coconut rums in cooking for finishing off stir frys, and adding a bit of flavor to caramelized ingredients for a few years now, I have never had issues with those. As for the Morgan, I would be careful with the spiced version as they might use a malt based ingredient in it. I did a bit of research and like you found no conclusive evidence to if it contains gluten or not. The plain rum from them is listed on many and been tested by several groups and has come up gluten free. On a side note if your a celiac or have intestinal damage I would avoid alcohol or drink in moderation. I personally only use it in cooking.
    • Hi, It seems they advertise it as a malt beverage.  Malt is made from barley normally, so it would not be gluten-free.  Unless they specify the malt is corn malt, it is always assumed to be barley malt per FDA labeling regs.  
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Cjplmon